Mav R or YXZ?

FWIW, I bought a new 2016 YXZ and it has been pretty much rock solid for 6K miles, half dunes and half desert, none of them easy on it. I had Weller do the suspension and that helped quite a bit, but to be honest it still has the donkey kick and generally is not good in whoops or sharp-edged ditches. It would be pretty easy to endo with one good mistake. I wish Yamaha would make it a foot longer with rear trailing arms and a factory turbo, but they haven't. So, I just bought a Maverick R and will be selling the YXZ.

2 seater for me. Plan on going all over but Glamis for the upcoming season. 
@madweazl if your going 2 seater, then Mav R. the Pro R does make more torque, however, its a big pig.. they are heavy and when it comes to power adders, you need to go with someone who has the cooling issues dialed. they run hot, and that sucks when your wanting to ride but have to keep taking breaks. both are monsters when it comes to aftermarket hp. they both dont require a ton to make some great hp numbers and an exciting ride. but, Im not kidding when I say the Mav R is the closest thing to a sandrail in the SxS world. weight distribution is incredible. I ran one that had front smoothie tires and it tracked like it had a steering rib. there is so much pressure on the front end, virtually no push through corners and it has a very good Low center of gravity. Just my 2 cents, the Mav R has my vote. 

Is there a reason the RZR isn't on the list? I'm looking to pick something up soon and trying to learn the ins and outs of them all. 
Guessing because the OP wanted a SXS that did not have a belt drive.

The Pro R with the live value shocks is a fantastic car.  I have several friends that rip around in the dunes with them.   There are some great deals on the Pro R with discounts being offered.  

If it is a 2 seater the choice would still be the Maverick R over the Pro R.  Maverick R is a lot of fun to drive and likes to be thrown into the turns.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been contemplating a 3 pedal YXZ. For no whoops, no dunes, just long gravel roads is the Maverick R 11K better assuming a 20K YXZ and 4K turbo? Does the Maverick R cage need to be replaced with an aftermarket like the YXZ or is the stock cage strong enough? Does the stock base Maverick R shocks need to be revalved or are the stock Maverick R shocks heads and tails better than the YXZ shocks?

That sounds like a perfect application for the YXZ. Mine is a 3 pedal N/A with a pipe and tune and the throttle response especially in 1-3 is super snappy, big fun drifting around the turns. The Mav R obviously has way more power but IMHO the fun factor of the YXZ is much higher, especially if you are hauling someone who is new to the scene. I'm only switching to the Mav R  because of the added safety on "gotchas" and more overall speed to keep up with friends in the dunes.

Back