Mav R or YXZ?

21RC

Reaction score
It's been a while since I posted  :classic_rolleyes:

I'm on the fence about which one of these to purchase either a 2024 Mav R or a 2024 YXZ, almost a 100% use will be in Lake Havasu as I have a SU for the dunes. 

I could wait for the Mav R 2025 with possible updates or pick-up a discounted 2024.

The YXZ probably won't have any major changes other than maybe a color change since it's new for 2024.

I know the R is about $10-12k+ more otd (29-32k non-smart) than the YXZ and already has a turbo, I'd put a cage on it and a few other add-on's but not too many.

The 2024 YXZ is about $20k + fee's, add a cage, maybe a turbo(?), LT suspension and your easily north of $10k BUT it's smaller and more nimble for most of the trails in LHC.

I'm leaning toward the YXZ due to it having (3) pedals.

What say the GD brain trusts?

Get the 64" big HP X3 and not look back if you want something that will fit on the smaller trails.  As far as the three pedal thing, I did that and while it was a kick in the pants the suspension sucks so you can say the fun factor ends quickly.  While many have not had any issues with the drive train on the YXZ I sure did and while you might not break belt I would of rather broke a belt over all the fun stuff I broke.  Also the YXZ is a small car and not as comfortable as the Can Am. 

I don't have any seat time in the new Mav R, but love driving my 3 pedal YXZ, especially in hard-pack.   The 2024 YXZ has a 6 speed trans and a couple upgrades over earlier models. Add LT w/ shock tune and that addresses most of the suspension concerns.

Get the 64" big HP X3 and not look back if you want something that will fit on the smaller trails.  As far as the three pedal thing, I did that and while it was a kick in the pants the suspension sucks so you can say the fun factor ends quickly.  While many have not had any issues with the drive train on the YXZ I sure did and while you might not break belt I would of rather broke a belt over all the fun stuff I broke.  Also the YXZ is a small car and not as comfortable as the Can Am. 
What parts broke on your YXZ?

the trails around here in havasu are so whooped out get the one that handles better. i talked to a couple at kiowa drive thru one day they were in a mav r, i asked what else they had and their prior car was a xs. they told me the mav r was much better in havasu and parker than what they had before.

Having spent some time in the Mav R, I would say there is no comparison.. the YXZ has the 3 pedal factor which really is the coolest for rallying corners. but, if all your planning on doing is trail riding, go Mav R. The suspension, weight distribution, and driver position is unmatched. Through the dunes, its the closest thing to a Sandcar in the SxS world when it comes to handling. through the bumps, its fantastic. 

Having spent some time in the Mav R, I would say there is no comparison.. the YXZ has the 3 pedal factor which really is the coolest for rallying corners. but, if all your planning on doing is trail riding, go Mav R. The suspension, weight distribution, and driver position is unmatched. Through the dunes, its the closest thing to a Sandcar in the SxS world when it comes to handling. through the bumps, its fantastic. 
First thing that went was the alignment coupling. Replaced that with the Alba upgraded one.  The very next trip the final drive shaft broke and when that broke it took out the pinion gear.  After that I went with the Avenger Driveline and while I didn't have any issues for the rest of the season, I didn't trust the car and sold it.

I spent more in those two trips than the rest of the group spent on belts all because I didn't want a belt. 

10 friends all had YXZ's 16, 17, 19, 20s, only 1 still has it. I've ridden in every model they made due to this. The 3-peddle novelty wore off quick in Topock, the flappy paddle was ok.
The suspension on everyone of them was awful no matter how much it had been modified, I liked my Rhino better....

Other then cost there's no comparison, heck even the Yamaha RMax looks better overall to me then the YXZ.

yxz not anything I would want to spent time in havasu in. that place is so rough you need a linked pre runner.

There is no question the Maverick R will be far better in every way.  If you hate your kidneys and back then go get a Yamaha for the desert.   Yamaha suspension will beat you up in the Havasu area.   

Lots of good input, the choice seems clear.

I own a 3 pedal YXZ and I have driven the Mav R and I will say Buy the mav R.. The Mav R is a Great machine

Is there a reason the RZR isn't on the list? I'm looking to pick something up soon and trying to learn the ins and outs of them all. 

Is there a reason the RZR isn't on the list? I'm looking to pick something up soon and trying to learn the ins and outs of them all. 
Where are you planning to ride? 2 or 4 seats? I’m torn between a Mav r and Rzr pro. I currently own a pro r 4 and maverick 3 the 4 seat Rzr is oversized and underpowered for my liking and costly to add power and fix known issues 

Where are you planning to ride? 2 or 4 seats? I’m torn between a Mav r and Rzr pro. I currently own a pro r 4 and maverick 3 the 4 seat Rzr is oversized and underpowered for my liking and costly to add power and fix known issues 
2 seater for me. Plan on going all over but Glamis for the upcoming season. 

2 seater for me. Plan on going all over but Glamis for the upcoming season. 
How much money are you honestly willing to throw at it year 1? Add power and address ball joint and water pump housing issues to the pro r and it’ll rip. The market is just catching up the Mav r with improvements 

How much money are you honestly willing to throw at it year 1? Add power and address ball joint and water pump housing issues to the pro r and it’ll rip. The market is just catching up the Mav r with improvements 
OK with a tune and maybe cams but I wont be going with a power adder or big upgrade regardless of what I get. 

Back