LS1 oil pan swap

Chingon619

Reaction score
Need help!

I know some of you have solved this riddle dozens of times over, I'm swapping frames and my new frame will not fit my stock batwing oil pan due to width. What's the usual procedure again? Looking for inexpensive maybe junk yard if need be. Is it the truck pan? What's compatible?

Found these on offerup, thoughts? 

Screenshot_20221006-204050_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20221006-204056_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20221006-204100_Messages.jpg

1999-2001 Camaro with the LS1.

That pan will work.

Have pictures of how it doesn't fit?  The LS1 pan has good clearance, but you have to remove half the windage tray and your oil control (both temps and keeping the sump wet) suffers as a result.  For a buggy with lots of RPM and angles, this isn't optimal. 

I have a LS 2 pan you can have if you can get someone to pick it up here in Mesa AZ.  Just had surgery and don't want to mess with the headache of shipping something I am giving away.  Has one bad hole where the trans plate bolts to it.  Weld and re-tap, or use a thread insert.

I have a LS 2 pan you can have if you can get someone to pick it up here in Mesa AZ.  Just had surgery and don't want to mess with the headache of shipping something I am giving away.  Has one bad hole where the trans plate bolts to it.  Weld and re-tap, or use a thread insert.
@Chingon619 I'll be heading through that area 23 or 24 October, but that might be too late.

1999-2001 Camaro with the LS1.

That pan will work.
worst pan for the motor, only uses partial windage tray 

The LS3 pan is the best pan for a LS hands down,  it holds 8 quarts, and is a Middle sump pan, any other pan is not close to the 2013 camaro pan $230 is about normal price, controlling the oil will control the bearing life of the motor, 

Control over oil is key this will help the oil moving around in the pan, Camaro SS / G8 / SS / Caprice PPV Racing Oil Pan Baffle (improvedracing.com)

At the end of the day a Dry Sump is far better than anything out there, full kit is $2000 for a LS, 

The LS3 pan is the best pan for a LS hands down,  it holds 8 quarts, and is a Middle sump pan, any other pan is not close to the 2013 camaro pan $230 is about normal price, controlling the oil will control the bearing life of the motor, 

Control over oil is key this will help the oil moving around in the pan, Camaro SS / G8 / SS / Caprice PPV Racing Oil Pan Baffle (improvedracing.com)

At the end of the day a Dry Sump is far better than anything out there, full kit is $2000 for a LS, 
Yep.  If the LS has one weakness: oil control and temps.  The pushrods and lots of displacement for the packaging means the oil just gets hot hot hot hot.

Yep.  If the LS has one weakness: oil control and temps.  The pushrods and lots of displacement for the packaging means the oil just gets hot hot hot hot.
At least GM was nice enough to make it super easy to plumb in an oil cooler.   :classic_biggrin:

Keeping my TBSS cool has been a nightmare.  We'll, to be honest, the whole thing has been one....

ETA...except for Mr. Alper.  That was easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
At least GM was nice enough to make it super easy to plumb in an oil cooler.   :classic_biggrin:

Keeping my TBSS cool has been a nightmare.  We'll, to be honest, the whole thing has been one....
True.  Sadly for my Jeep, that's where the driveshaft and 3rd link want to be...  

images

J Alper is right on the money here  - If you can live with a 7" deep pan the Camaro/LS3 pans are best  - the $200 improved oiling baffle kit is bargain if you wheelie or slide around corners alot  - More oil is always better if it stays in the right spot.

FWIW - That said I have done MANY  sub 700HP cars with F body pans with no issues (space issues) as longer as you you a Standard Volume  (10295)/HP pump and have a large oil cooler with thermostat  - you get an extra QT of oil its almost like a reserve  - its always about building with the right combination of parts 

Not sure where JALPER gets an LS dry sump for $2000 (let me in on that deal buddy ...)   - I would say plan on $5K + if you do a nice Dalley with 1" drive,  large remote filter and an 8 Quart Peterson sump with shutoffs. I just did 2 of those and you really  need a dry sump crank to do it right...Even the old-school  Aviads are over $3K now  (Lets Go Brandon) and they are known like fabricated oil pans to crack on LS cars that see lots of dune time.

Gen 5 Camaro or LS 3 pan  with the Improved Oiling baffle and Oil cooler is the hot set up for most - I even put one on my 1200HP set up

Last edited by a moderator:
Have pictures of how it doesn't fit?  The LS1 pan has good clearance, but you have to remove half the windage tray and your oil control (both temps and keeping the sump wet) suffers as a result.  For a buggy with lots of RPM and angles, this isn't optimal. 
The engine mounts off the lower bars directly in the path of the batwing. I'm almost sure there will be some interference. 

20221007_115613.jpg

The engine mounts off the lower bars directly in the path of the batwing. I'm almost sure there will be some interference. 

View attachment 46072
Ah, so Corvette pan.  How much distance between the mounts and the bars vs the motor mount and the bottom of the pan (AKA, if the motor somehow fit, how much clearance will it have before the oil pan hangs below the frame)?

Another option other than a pan would be to just re-make the motor mounts on the chassis. :biggrin:

Must not be too bad.

Have been running mine since 2004.

OP was asking for options, I gave him one.

But, I know if you don't approve, you bash on it.  All good

J Alper is right on the money here  - If you can live with a 7" deep pan the Camaro/LS3 pans are best  - the $200 improved oiling baffle kit is bargain if you wheelie or slide around corners alot  - More oil is always better if it stays in the right spot.

FWIW - That said I have done MANY  sub 700HP cars with F body pans with no issues (space issues) as longer as you you a Standard Volume  (10295)/HP pump and have a large oil cooler with thermostat  - you get an extra QT of oil its almost like a reserve  - its always about building with the right combination of parts 

Not sure where JALPER gets an LS dry sump for $2000 (let me in on that deal buddy ...)   - I would say plan on $5K + if you do a nice Dalley with 1" drive,  large remote filter and an 8 Quart Peterson sump with shutoffs. I just did 2 of those and you really  need a dry sump crank to do it right...Even the old-school  Aviads are over $3K now  (Lets Go Brandon) and they are known like fabricated oil pans to crack on LS cars that see lots of dune time.

Gen 5 Camaro or LS 3 pan  with the Improved Oiling baffle and Oil cooler is the hot set up for most - I even put one on my 1200HP set up
If you need a dry sump setup, lead time is 2-3 weeks, sorry this is without tank, but many economy tanks for $200, and used tanks for $100, for a sand car at 6500rpm the tanks can be pretty standard, 

• Kit will be a Aviaid 
  • 3 stage pump bolt direct to block 
  • oil pan for stroke up to 4.00 add $100 for stroke up to 4.100
  • one belt
  • pulley with pulley guard, 
  • AN fitting for ls block 
  • Hoses with fittings from oil pan to pump 

$1900

You will need a tank and ATi balancer, i can supply the balancer for $420, If you already have a ATI, then will just need a hub, they are around $260 from summit, and a remote oil filter 

Thinking about it, Alex is correct, you will be in it right at 3K for everything,  but well worth it,  I do not look at the gauges at all anymore, just drive the car hard, Oil stays super cool with no cooler and water has dropped 40 degrees now,  pump and hub bolt right on, 

Ah, so Corvette pan.  How much distance between the mounts and the bars vs the motor mount and the bottom of the pan (AKA, if the motor somehow fit, how much clearance will it have before the oil pan hangs below the frame)?

Another option other than a pan would be to just re-make the motor mounts on the chassis. :biggrin:

Must not be too bad.

Have been running mine since 2004.

OP was asking for options, I gave him one.

But, I know if you don't approve, you bash on it.  All good
Yeah I would bet 80% of LS cars built have the F body pan and they work - are they the best  - no but sub 500HP I never saw a problem , above that add the oil cooler and if possible swap the Oil pump 

Thats what I would do for the OP -  I personally don't love the Batwing they are always in the way 

Back