Loss of oil pressure

I had an o-ring on the pick up tube fail and caused me to lose oil pressure on a J35 engine

I don’t see how this would affect your oil pressure, thinking you still have some unresolved issue.  Sucks to see that cylinder on a new engine
Wash down the oil with gas maybe?

I don’t see how this would affect your oil pressure, thinking you still have some unresolved issue.  Sucks to see that cylinder on a new engine
I don't either, but I'm grabbing at straws now.

He's starting over, one way or the other...
Ya, I'm going to take the block to a shop and see what my best option is.  

Hopefully you can get the block guards out.
I'm thinking of trying to pull them out and putting them in another block or seeing what it would take to re-sleeve the cylinder (if that's even a reasonable option)

I had an o-ring on the pick up tube fail and caused me to lose oil pressure on a J35 engine
I'll double check this.  I installed a new oring when I put it all together... but that doesn't mean it didn't fail.  My only thought left is that the brand new oil pump I put on it is bad.

I got the engine all drained and both heads off.  I'll be pulling the pistons out tonight hopefully to see how bad it is.

Yep get another block and maybe your piston isn’t damaged as it’s on the side but if the rings don’t spin perfectly then the ring lands were damaged too. C clips never fall out when installed properly. 
That is correct 

Many different kind of Piston wrist Pin Locks,  Cir clips are the most common and the hardest to put in correctly,  i really only see about 50% of the people put in Cir clips correctly, they bend them or tweak them out of shape and hope they stay in,  DSS for LS uses internal dual snap rings or Spiral locks 

For me the Spirals locks are the easiest to install without loosing the integrity of the Wrist Pin Lock,  

Check the oil pick up, oil pan combination. If the pick up is miss matched to the pan it can starve the motor of oil = low oil pressure 

Any Updates?
Taking the block down the get it fixed.  Never found the oil pressure problem.  Everything looks good as far as I can tell.  I might try a different oil pump when I reassemble the engine.  

Ok so the block is at the shop getting a new sleeve on that cylinder.  Hopefully it comes out ok as they told me they have never re-sleeved a block with the block guards installed.  Hopefully nothing in the process causes the guards to slip down or this block will be junk.  LA Sleeve Co is the only place I could find that does this and they are backed up with an 8 week turn around, so the rest of the season is shot for me.

Buy a junkyard engine and turn the boost down.  Finish the season out..
I have another engine I could throw on it, but my season usually ends in March anyways.  With Gas prices and everything going up, we decided this was our sign to just end the season.  The wife owns 51% of the votes in my house too, lol.

Actually thinking about it, I'm not sure the other engine would work.  I have larger injectors on the car and the tune was never completed since it died on the dyno.

You could always swap the block and the injectors over. Turn the boost way down, so you dont have to miss the end of the season. Just a thought

You could always swap the block and the injectors over. Turn the boost way down, so you dont have to miss the end of the season. Just a thought
I gave the injectors away to a friend.  The effort to swap over for the remainder of the season isn't worth it at this point.

the block guard shouldn't be an issue if the shop is competent. if they have never installed block guards before, well then it might be an issue for them possibly.

Back