Looking to Purchase Sandrail

appreciate the feedback. Found the original owner of the car and got the backstory. He had sent it to Steve at BFD to do a bunch of work on the car. Steve had it for over 8 months and left it sitting outside the entire time. Owner got tired of waiting and flew out to BFD. Surprised Steve and forced him to start working on it (took him a few more months to finish it). By this time the paint had faded, seats have cracked, all the wiring harness connectors were cracking, Holly screen had sun damage and when you turn it on has different colors showing in the corners of the screen now due to the way it was sitting in sun, faded or rusted intake manifold (cant specifically remember). When the work was finished original was still pissed as he had given him an immaculate clean car which was now trashed. Owner told Steve at BFD to sell it for him now. The new owner has had the car for a year and is also looking to sell it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
appreciate the feedback. Found the original owner of the car and got the backstory. He had sent it to Steve at BFD to do a bunch of work on the car. Steve had it for over 8 months and left it sitting outside the entire time. Owner got tired of waiting and flew out to BFD. Surprised Steve and forced him to start working on it (took him a few more months to finish it). By this time the paint had faded, seats have cracked, all the wiring harness connectors were cracking, Holly screen had sun damage and when you turn it on has different colors showing in the corners of the screen now due to the way it was sitting in sun, faded or rusted intake manifold (cant specifically remember). When the work was finished original was still pissed as he had given him an immaculate clean car which was now trashed. Owner told Steve at BFD to sell it for him now. The new owner has had the car for a year and is also looking to sell it. 
One way to look, and price the Smith car, if you like it, is with the expectation of having to make a large expense (transaxle change out) in the future. Maybe seller is willing to negotiate.

Who knows, maybe you drive the car and never have an issue.

well that sucks! glad you were able to get some solid info on it,.... that should steer you in the right direction 

Not even sure how to reply to this. I guess Sean’s post says it all?
Yeah, Sean's post was spot on. You've never owned nor worked on a PBS but seem to have some knowledge about them.

Yeah, Sean's post was spot on. You've never owned nor worked on a PBS but seem to have some knowledge about them.
So in order to have knowledge on something you need to have owned or worked on it? This topic has come up several times over the years. When I was into sand cars I was looking at a car with a PBS and asked the questions on here. Isn’t that what this forum is about? I could understand your post if the info we gave was way off base but it seems we were on track.

One has to have the mindset that if they buy a sand rail, at some point in the future it will have to have repairs up to and including a complete trans replacement and/or frame modifications. To be realistic about it if one has the where-with-all to be in the market for and buy a sand rail for X amount of dollars, it should be expected that the individual also has the where-with-all to perform unplanned repairs. If that is not the case, then maybe a sand rail is not for you. As much as I hate to say it, SxS are attractive in that situation. It shouldn't be a life changing scenario to have to spend $20k on an unplanned repair for a sandrail. Unfortunately it is what it is. Be careful who you hire to make modifications. 

Seems to be a decent amount of demand right now for sand cars, was going to go look at this car in person but it got sold out in front of me. Are there typically more cars posted for sale after season end? 

Seems to be a decent amount of demand right now for sand cars, was going to go look at this car in person but it got sold out in front of me. Are there typically more cars posted for sale after season end? 
yes, you are shopping at peak demand time.  Some cars sell in hours, some take months.  I think there are a lot of guys out there that have a 'wish list' in their head of cars they would like to own.  If one of those cars pops up; they usually sell very quick.  My recent car was like that. It popped up for sale; I emailed the guy within an hour and sent him a deposit (sight unseen).  By the time I wired the balance to him, he said there were four backup offers (at higher prices) in case I wasn't sure I wanted the car......

The Person that purchased the Full Potential i was building is going to sell his car, 

It is $61K,   it has a Mendi-S4 and i did a 416 Stroker Ls motor  

Car is a Wicked Dual Sport Center Pivot car.  

Little update. I was able to purchase a Tatum Blackwidow 4 seater with an LSX 376 B-15, LSA supercharger and Mendeola S4. Had Jeff with LRS bring it up for new years (thank you very much) and it was an amazing experience and easily some of the most fun I have ever had. 

Little update. I was able to purchase a Tatum Blackwidow 4 seater with an LSX 376 B-15, LSA supercharger and Mendeola S4. Had Jeff with LRS bring it up for new years (thank you very much) and it was an amazing experience and easily some of the most fun I have ever had. 
That was my buddies car. 
I helped him bolt on the blower. That motor makes some serious power!!!!

That was my buddies car. 
I helped him bolt on the blower. That motor makes some serious power!!!!
He is a real good guy, and the car is awesome. Im adding a couple little upgrades to it right now.....

Screenshot 2024-01-09 at 5.58.27 PM.png

Back