Looking For Options On Electric Fans

HydroPower

Reaction score
Looking to upgrade the 16" electric radiator fans on my extreme sandcar, what are the best options out there for new fans??

I will only use Spal fans on any of my projects.  Ive had great results with them, not a bad thing to say...

Bob

I will only use Spal fans on any of my projects.  Ive had great results with them, not a bad thing to say...

Bob
Which series are you using on them? Brushless, high performance, extreme performance? I have heard alot of the new builds are coming with the brushless 

The Brushless Spal fans are cool.

I use the extreme blade (curved) and they move some serious air.

I replaced my old straight blade with them and what a difference.

I don't recall what they are called.  Curved blades, highest cfm they had to the size.  I didn't care about current, I ran them off of a relay per fan. 

delta pag looks pretty cool 

I think a easy test would be to check the fans, most we see are spal, with a Anemometer 

anemometer,   are from $30-$300

Spal all the way. Unfortunately their website SUCKS for searching fan profiles.

The brushless stuff is awesome, but considerably more expensive.

What fans do you currently have?

If someone wanted to run/fab something like in the link Kevin posted, there are less expensive PWM standalone fan drivers.  Obviously DIY.  You don't need to run Holley or some other expensive controller. 

https://www.autocoolguy.com/home

The site is kinda clumsy...but once you figure out how to navigate it, the stuff gets great reviews everywhere I've seen it.  There are cheaper options available..

I'm in the process of working on a later model vette fan for my TJ.  Tough to 'wheel in 115*+ heat and keep it cool at low engine RPM...

Here is the link for the spal brushless fan wiring. So many different ways to do it 

dacb5d25-7e78-48de-bbc5-b7cfc4486ddb

It came in kinda weird. When you touch the pic just keep pushing it. It will work 😂 

Last edited by a moderator:
If someone wanted to run/fab something like in the link Kevin posted, there are less expensive PWM standalone fan drivers.  Obviously DIY.  You don't need to run Holley or some other expensive controller. 

The site is kinda clumsy...but once you figure out how to navigate it, the stuff gets great reviews everywhere I've seen it.  There are cheaper options available..

I'm in the process of working on a later model vette fan for my TJ.  Tough to 'wheel in 115*+ heat and keep it cool at low engine RPM...
The cheaper one I'm going to try...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143561646769

I have one of the autocoolguy units to put on my TBSS to controll the Spal fans that are on it.  None of this is gonna happen until the thermometer is less than 3 digits tho...

I was thinking about running one of the delta pag, but they show you can run it with typical wiring, it would just go to full speed, i dont really want the variable speed for the sand car,  

I was thinking about running one of the delta pag, but they show you can run it with typical wiring, it would just go to full speed, i dont really want the variable speed for the sand car,  
I've only read a tiny bit about the delta pag units, but some PWM fans will go 100% if you put the signal wire straight to power/ground.

Negating the need for a relay as well, I assume
Correct. Direct to the battery with circuit protection.

Kartek has a diagram for a very simple setup for the SPAL fans:

https://www.kartek.com/parts/spal-30107101-plus-series-16-curved-blade-brushless-puller-fan-drop-in-mount-sits-inside-shroud.html

View attachment 74712

You can run up to 12 fans off of one sensor. Pricey, but fuss-free. Just wire together and ship it.
We run a brushless Spal fan on a hydraulic heat exchanger in one of the machines we build.   The Yazaki power connector is special and kinda spendy and so are the sensors.  Spal does make them in different temp ranges than the ones typically advertised.  For instance, the one we use starts at 120* and is full on at 160*.

Correct. Direct to the battery with circuit protection.

We run a brushless Spal fan on a hydraulic heat exchanger in one of the machines we build.   The Yazaki power connector is special and kinda spendy and so are the sensors.  Spal does make them in different temp ranges than the ones typically advertised.  For instance, the one we use starts at 120* and is full on at 160*.
You wire them into the cold side of the radiator, correct?

Back