Looking for a premium .45 that's not a 1911.

Fireballsocal

Reaction score
I'm checking out some sigs, CZs, basically a modern .45 for range shooting. My budget is in the $1k-$2K range so the super expensive pistols are out. I can't justify the price. So what do you like? I want something accurate, reliable, and easy to take down. 

Sig 220/320 gets my vote. Either way sig/cz great gun

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a big fan of H&K.  They are bit pricier but in my opinion, worth it.  The USP series is very nice but bigger and heavier.  The VP series is nice.  Lighter, smaller, more adaptable.  The gun comes with a customizing kits for the grip that is very easier to set up.

I will say, I was never a fan of Glock but since owning a couple, they are very good guns, easily customizable, shoot well, very reliable.  They are priced right and you can find lots of accessories.

Newer sig 220s are nice.my cousin has one shoots nice. 

I want the 10mm version though. 

You said good 45 under 1000?  Good luck. Stupid prices hit the guns the same time they hit off road toys.  Never really saw the draw of .45s...My next will be a 10mm. They make 1911s in 10mm. Sorry off the rails... Kimber, springfield, S&W, Ruger....make 1911s that are good shooters. Just depends on hand size and budget. 

Sig 220/320 gets my vote. Either way sig/cz great gun
I'll be shooting a 220 at my local range next time I go. 

How about a HK?
Mac spent some time in messages giving some advice on the brand. I hadn't considered it before. I'm doing the deep dive now. 

I'm a big fan of H&K.  They are bit pricier but in my opinion, worth it.  The USP series is very nice but bigger and heavier.  The VP series is nice.  Lighter, smaller, more adaptable.  The gun comes with a customizing kits for the grip that is very easier to set up.

I will say, I was never a fan of Glock but since owning a couple, they are very good guns, easily customizable, shoot well, very reliable.  They are priced right and you can find lots of accessories.
Big thanks for the info Mac. 

Newer sig 220s are nice.my cousin has one shoots nice. 

I want the 10mm version though. 
Aside from magazine costs, I don't see any downsides. 🙂

You said good 45 under 1000?  Good luck. Stupid prices hit the guns the same time they hit off road toys.  Never really saw the draw of .45s...My next will be a 10mm. They make 1911s in 10mm. Sorry off the rails... Kimber, springfield, S&W, Ruger....make 1911s that are good shooters. Just depends on hand size and budget. 
I have a Springfield professional 1911. It's a full custom shop gun. Beautiful pistol that's all go, no show. I want something more modern. Modern being high tech coatings so rust isn't an issue, easy takedown, reliable, etc. Basically a glock (I've had a 21 and a 30) that shoots better. Prices will be coming down. We are past the peak of gun hysteria for this go round so sales will start up again. 

Get a Glock and a bunch of mags and ammo.  Still under $1k.

.45 is a cool round but I'd just get another 9mm (assuming you at least have 1)

Get a Glock and a bunch of mags and ammo.  Still under $1k.

.45 is a cool round but I'd just get another 9mm (assuming you at least have 1)
No 9mm. I had a G34 and a couple XD9s but sold them. I want to stick with just a few calibers. By far, I shoot .22LR the most. 

I'd get a USP 45 if the size doesn't bother you. 

Also, do yourself a favor and get a 9mm 😉

Since everyone else is derailing this.... :lol:

For a 9mm, I'd recommend a Glock or H&K VP9.  The H&K is better quality and shoots nice.  The VP9 comes with a grip customizing kit which is nice.  Outside of that, it doesn't need anything.

Glocks...shoot well out of the box.  A little bit of customizing is fairly cheap and easy, and then you'll have nice gun fit for you.  The Glock Store has the best line of products I have found and they offer great info and tutorials on their website.

Glock to me is the "updated" 1911.  Good gun out of the box but a little customizing makes it WAY better.  I've never owned or shot a 1911 that didn't need work or you paid for the upgrades when you bought it.  A bone stock 1911 just doesn't work right IMO.

sorry I had not had my coffee yet and my old eyes read it wrong.

No 9mm for now. Maybe a ways down the road  but I'm sticking with .22LR and .45. for now. 

I'm checking out some sigs, CZs, basically a modern .45 for range shooting. My budget is in the $1k-$2K range so the super expensive pistols are out. I can't justify the price. So what do you like? I want something accurate, reliable, and easy to take down. 
My kid has a P320 chambered in .45ACP and loves that damned thing... If you'd like a test drive, we can arrange a range day in Riverside 😉

I noticed a few mentions of the Sig P220.  I had one, wasn't really a fan.  Nice gun, works well, just didn't like it.  It was an older one and I haven't shot any updated Sigs.

For the price of a Sig, I'd still go with the H&K.  Both guns come ready out of the box and there aren't many accessories or aftermarket work you can do to them.

Back