Long trips - bring extra water?

Camp near one of the vault toilets. Tell your campers they are not allowed to use the chitter in the RV. This will save lots of water, black tank space and improve the smell in your RV. 

I tee’d off of my shower drain pipe, added a slide valve in the storage bin and extended a down pipe so it pours onto the sand. It soaks in really fast but like you said just kick some sand over it or shower at night. 5 of us shower every other day 150 gallons fresh 40 gray and usually come home with about 1/2 tank full on gray water tank after 7 days.  Love it!!
I honestly believe this is the best solution. Its legal if you ever got a ticket it could be reversed and the showers are the real killer of the gray tanks.

Its no different than taking an outdoor shower which is legal.!

:poule:

its nice having a big Toy Hauler, made from the factory for the dunes, 

180 Gallons of water 150 gallons of holding tanks Black/Gray water pump is a 3.0-GPM

I honestly believe this is the best solution. Its legal if you ever got a ticket it could be reversed and the showers are the real killer of the gray tanks.

Its no different than taking an outdoor shower which is legal.!

:poule:
It is legal 100% but you get some Jr Camp Ranger with a stick broke off in his but who tells you that you can "Tell it to the Judge"  and depending on how bad of a mood you put him in he can expel you from the ISDRA too.

With the way gas prices are looking for the upcoming season I think there is going to be a lot of long trippers and they will be doing lots of things that the BLM will use to generate contacts.  Your fancy contraption might get you more than you really want, and it is a simple one for them to write up and let the judge sort out. 

We started saving lots of water by doing dished in containers in the sink.  The when done dump water outside.  Amazon.com: FOSJGO Dish Basin Collapsible with Drain Plug Carry Handles for 9 L Capacity, Collapsible Sink Tub, Dish Wash Basin, Portable Dish Tub, Foldable Dishpan for Camping Dish Washing Tub and RV Sink : Health & Household

Use one to wash dishes and use the other to catch the water from Rinsing.

You will be surprised how much water you save.

I carry 80 gallons in the Moho, and another 40 in my trailer.  7 days no problem with a family of 5.  

I like the 55 gal jug for extra H2O and the poop caddies that can be bought, there was one listed for 36 gallons :lol:  

It only took one trip to have grey water back up to the bath tub drain and once to run out of water that the family finally believed me in conserving water.

Paper Plates, forks, knifes, etc are already part of the trip, less washing is better.

Reactions: FOG
You have this exact brand? Hows the drain valve treating you and do you wish there was no drain at all? Since it sounds like you walk it outside and dump it out anyway.

I know you're asking about bringing or dumping water but there are a few tips that will save you a lot of water.

1) Disposable plates, and utensils. Dishes use a lot of water.

2) Upgrade your shower head to save water and include an on/off switch on it. Teach the family how to only run it when needed.

3) Take a look at your freshwater tank vents and reroute them. A lot of RV's will have a shallow vent line and lose a lot of water in transit or when parking. 

If you use paper plates, plasticware and disposable cups, there are no dishes to wash, saving even more water. Just use the plates, etc to start the fire.
We Do this also. We also use a CampChef with the large griddle and cook everything on that or the bbq. Best part to cleaning the griddle is scrape it down first and use someone’s left over water bottle (because there’s always one laying around that someone didn’t finish)and a paper towel and steam clean it. DONE, no pans to wash!! 

You have this exact brand? Hows the drain valve treating you and do you wish there was no drain at all? Since it sounds like you walk it outside and dump it out anyway.
I have a different one, I couldn't find it.  Mine doesn't have a drain, it is not needed

We Do this also. We also use a CampChef with the large griddle and cook everything on that or the bbq. Best part to cleaning the griddle is scrape it down first and use someone’s left over water bottle (because there’s always one laying around that someone didn’t finish)and a paper towel and steam clean it. DONE, no pans to wash!! 
Cooking with a griddle saves a lot of water as well, love it

If you use paper plates, plasticware and disposable cups, there are no dishes to wash, saving even more water. Just use the plates, etc to start the fire.
We also put a 15 gallon tank like this on it's side on the tailgate of my truck. Put a simple ball valve on it for the kids and a small bottle of soap.  We use it to brush our teeth, wash our face/hands, grille utensils, etc.  I usually dig a 6" hole below with my boot to eliminate splash.  When done, kick some sand over the wet spot. 

tank_blue.jpg

Back