Lithium batteries for use in toy hauler

Bgchlln

Reaction score
My concern is starting my Onan 4000 generator. I’m thinking trying a 200 amp hr battery (200 max discharge) The Chinese batts are half price what the USA based batteries are. Will either of them work? Any one out there using this set up successfully?

(2) 200ah chins from amazon

make sure to get a 200amp bms though

tons in our group for a few years now and no failures

game changer

My understanding is you need a separate battery for starting the genny.  The lithiums aren’t rated for it?

game changer
To clarify, your using (2) 200ah in parallel?

I went back Old School on my new 5th wheel.... tired of dealing with 6-volts and leaking, maintaining water levels, charging issues and short lifespan in my opinion. 

Had (4) Interstate 27M-EFB Marine / RV 12V Deep Cycles installed. This new battery from Interstate is sealed (Wet / Enhanced Flooded) and acts like an AGM battery from what I'm told. 

Zero maintenance and backed by a 2-year warranty....we will see. 

27M-EFB battery | Interstate Batteries  

(3) 200AH 200A BMS LI batteries in my RV with 600W solar (more coming).  Would never go back to LA batteries.  Make sure you don't get 100A BMS as others have mentioned, it will limit what you can run whether that be multiple consumptions or one larger one like the microwave.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went back Old School on my new 5th wheel.... tired of dealing with 6-volts and leaking, maintaining water levels, charging issues and short lifespan in my opinion. 

Had (4) Interstate 27M-EFB Marine / RV 12V Deep Cycles installed. This new battery from Interstate is sealed (Wet / Enhanced Flooded) and acts like an AGM battery from what I'm told. 

Zero maintenance and backed by a 2-year warranty....we will see. 

27M-EFB battery | Interstate Batteries  
Plus (2) Solar panels with 380Watts should help. 

game changer
To clarify, your using (2) 200ah batteries in 

Will one 200 ah battery start a generator?

I went from 2 blue top's to 1 100AH LiFePo (& the appropriate dongle for my charger) & would not do that again.  I had to run the genny quite a bit longer to charge the battery back up again.  I suppose if I added solar & a HUGE inverter to run my microwave, I might, but probably not.  Genny is just too easy & I have it so it does not cost me anything.

What's the advantage of LiFePO4 in a toyhauler?
One of my two deep cycle batteries is on its last leg. The lifepo batteries are basically twice as much power, and last much longer 

There’s multiple people in the genesis Facebook group running two 100ah 100bms lithiums without issues starting the generator. I just got this same setup for mine so we will see how it goes! 

There’s multiple people in the genesis Facebook group running two 100ah 100bms lithiums without issues starting the generator. I just got this same setup for mine so we will see how it goes! 
Please let me know, my onan usually start pretty easy on the lead acid batteries 

Please let me know, my onan usually start pretty easy on the lead acid batteries 
Installed them Sunday morning and generator fired right up with no issues. There’s a small switch on my converter to switch from lead acid to lithium, and also changed the setting to lithium on the go power solar controller so it can fully charge the lithium batteries. 

Installed them Sunday morning and generator fired right up with no issues. There’s a small switch on my converter to switch from lead acid to lithium, and also changed the setting to lithium on the go power solar controller so it can fully charge the lithium batteries. 
What brand of lithium batteries did you get? Did you use two 100 ah batteries in parallel? Thanks

Back