Lightweight Alumicraft Build(ish)

I'd just throw in the towel at this point. Car needs a new owner...I know someone looking...:)

I'd just throw in the towel at this point. Car needs a new owner...I know someone looking...:)
We were all standing there Sunday after the compression test and I threw out a cash offer.... bad timing  :classic_mellow:

Well the car made it to the dunes. Spent friday doing odds n ends in the morning and he went to drive it early afternoon and made it to the top of sand highway just to have it overheat. Burped the car and spent a good hour on sand highway making passes and the car felt like it had no power. Pulled the pre fuel filter and it was completely clogged. Ran it back to camp and cleaned the filters out and again, ran great for a second then plugged. The camp spent about 4 hours cleaning and retrying until we realized the fuel lines were collapsing on themselves. My dad and Skyler (owner of the car) ran into Yuma to get new fuel lines made on Saturday and I spent the morning doing diagnostics on my car. Slapped the new lines in and went for a spin. Again car ran great for about 250 yards and then fell on its face. Got it back to camp and realized a whole bank was dead. Ohmd the harness, checked the plugs, and noticed the car was going into limp mode. Pulled the pre filter again and it was completely plugged. Once the storm rolled in we called it and decided that the car needs to have the tank pulled. Computer is reading insufficient fuel flow and putting the car into limp mode. Kind of a bummer we didn't get it dialed, but he'll get it cleaned up and back in the dunes in the next few weeks.

IMG_1356.JPG

IMG_1360.JPG

and how she sits at the moment! Since Skylar is in Tempe and I’m in Gilbert we got to talking and i told him to bring the car over so I can get the tank pulled out for him! He dropped it off to have it cleaned Friday, should get it back next week and hopefully it will be running like a top! Sounds like it was sitting with race gas in the tank for 4 years. 

if it will run decent with the tank cleaned out the goal is to get him back out for Atleast another trip before it’s too hot, we’ll have to see how my S&S can hang with these alumicraft guys! 

it does still have the old school fmu on it, being that it has an aem I’d like to see the fuel system changed up with a boost referenced regulator, and if it were mine I’d go with bigger injectors and retune it on e85! Tank may be a bit small for ethanol though! 

IMG_9383.jpegIMG_9382.jpeg

I’ve also done a bunch of work on the sister car to this one that my friend Scott owns! Was originally yellow but after a roll over the car was rebuilt by alumicraft with some updates! 

IMG_9199.jpegIMG_9198.jpeg

Ditch the fmu and put some injectors and a proper fuel regulator in it. 

I enjoy reading this thread.  Hope you get it back in the dunes this season.

Last edited by a moderator:
This appears to have been a pretty good test of ones patients. I'm not sure I would have been as good as you seem to have been. Hope all works out for you.

Reactions: FOG
Thanks for taking this car in Logan. It'll be a bitchen car once it's done. 

I think it does have larger injectors. They are not the same injectors as the other two sets I have from the other two motors I have in the garage. I do not know what they are though. But for boost this motor should have injectors, fuel rail, crossover and regulator. 

BTW, I have the two other motors from this car in my garage if anyone needs parts. I'll probably pull one apart and build it eventually

IMG_1426.JPG

These cars are great! I had one with a 2.5 Subie in it and it was a slot car in the dunes!

Well I guess I should update you guys even though I failed miserably at taking picture or videos!

got the fuel tank pulled out, Sky took it to performance radiator in phx, had it dropped off on that Friday and picked up the following Monday. Got it back in the car that week, hooked everything up and dumped some race gas in, keyed it on and we had a fuel leak at the banjo fitting on the stock regulator. Pulled it apart there to see if I could clean it and get it sealed and all it did was make the leak worse (actually had the same exact tissue on the gray alumicraft too)

IMG_9452.jpeg

IMG_9451.jpeg

Not a fan of how the post filter is in this location with nothing other than the fittings supporting it, so decided to change it. New banjo fitting, new fuel lines and new gauge that reads properly, moved the filter down to the rear chassis tube. (Didn’t think to take pictures, but much cleaner setup with less possible failure points/fittings) no more fuel leaks!

fired up the car Saturday to take it for a drive around the neighborhood, sounds good, runs good, but it’s making no power at all. Started unplugging coils and listening for a change, found two bad coils on the passenger side middle and rear cylinders, swapped them over to the drivers side to make sure the misfire followed and it did. Ordered up a set of ngk coils and fresh plugs. 

got the coils and plugs in Monday evening, put it all back together Wednesday after work and terrorized the neighbors with some hard pulls up and down the street, cars running great! Hopefully he will have it at Gordon’s the weekend of the 20th and have some fun! 

also decided to put the car on the scales and see what she weighed! IMG_9465.jpeg

a whopping 1628! 

Back