Let’s talk Light Bars

Do you guys prefer the amber or white light?
Both, White light works great out in the dunes and if your in the front.  Amber cuts thru the dust if you get in a valley or wash or are near Olds in the middle of the night.  Th dust acts a lot like fog and if you put to much white light n it all you get is reflection.  My plan is to have my light up the world curved bar on top and small not to terribly bright amber down low. 

Both, White light works great out in the dunes and if your in the front.  Amber cuts thru the dust if you get in a valley or wash or are near Olds in the middle of the night.  Th dust acts a lot like fog and if you put to much white light n it all you get is reflection.  My plan is to have my light up the world curved bar on top and small not to terribly bright amber down low. 
That sounds like a good idea! I am been wrestling with the idea of having a light bar mounted on my roof, but I think it might be overkill as I almost never ride at night. its mostly around late afternoon/dusk. I have a 20 inch bar on the front bumper and thinking if I upgrade that to a Baja Designs bar I should be golden.

That sounds like a good idea! I am been wrestling with the idea of having a light bar mounted on my roof, but I think it might be overkill as I almost never ride at night. its mostly around late afternoon/dusk. I have a 20 inch bar on the front bumper and thinking if I upgrade that to a Baja Designs bar I should be golden.
With 20" of white light on the front bumper and a Amber LED pod on each pillar and you would be golden for those heading back from the ledge or drags rides. The Amber also work real good for people to see you thru that late afternoon dust cloud. Thats what I was talking about earlier on Punchdrunk Monkeys car his Cyclops big amber light in the center of his car cut thru everything.  Even when I couldn't make out what kind of car was behind me a ways I could always see that dam light.

Only light that was brighter was @Squatcher and his Kenny Rodgers Roasters night light.

I went with the clear lenses on my BD's, and then added the amber covers. That way I've got the option to go clear or amber, and I'm keeping the sandblasting confined mostly to some $10 replaceable covers in case they get worn or even cracked from rocks or knucklehead type stuff. That was one of the sales guys' recommendation at BD, and I like the logic. I've not taken the amber covers off since. I'm told that it's sort of obnoxious (blinding) on a night ride if the BD's are in your rearview mirror. So that means I get to lead which I like. The XL80's have a dimmer switch as well, also a cool feature. BD's can be rebuilt as well, another bonus. Very happy with mine, although it was basically impossible to score a deal on them.

I went with the clear lenses on my BD's, and then added the amber covers. That way I've got the option to go clear or amber, and I'm keeping the sandblasting confined mostly to some $10 replaceable covers in case they get worn or even cracked from rocks or knucklehead type stuff. That was one of the sales guys' recommendation at BD, and I like the logic. I've not taken the amber covers off since. I'm told that it's sort of obnoxious (blinding) on a night ride if the BD's are in your rearview mirror. So that means I get to lead which I like. The XL80's have a dimmer switch as well, also a cool feature. BD's can be rebuilt as well, another bonus. Very happy with mine, although it was basically impossible to score a deal on them.
Tell them to quit complaining and don't stare in the rearview.  :biggrin:

Baja Design Onyx light bars are great and put out a lot of light.  Unless you plan of leading night rides I would not bother with a lightbar on the roof.  All you will do is have light reflecting off the sand from the car or cars in front of you.  Some Baja Design LP6s on a bumper and some XL80s  on the a-pillers will provide lots of light for night rides.  You can throw Amber rock covers on XL80s.  The provide protection and when in the dust the amber cuts through it much better. 

Baja Design lights put out a lot of usable light.  The cost a lot, but are worth it. 

My last car had XL80's on the bumper (3) and 40" Onyx 6 on the roof. I very rarely used the roof light. But my all time favorite lights are Hella 4000 HID. They outperform all LED lights. Too bad they are so big and everyone wants the "cool factor" of LED. 
We had two Rigid 50" LED light bars on the roof of the Class 1 car and no BS we could outrun the light at speed at night. They sucked. Ditched them and signed with KCHILITES. When the team ditched KC I bought all the lights and that's what's on my car now. I'll upgrade again when the team ditches Bjaa Designs and goes with whoever has a better light or sponsor package.

Vision X has new combo bars with amber and white light...They're pricey but I might take the Plunge.

image.png

We had two Rigid 50" LED light bars on the roof of the Class 1 car and no BS we could outrun the light at speed at night. They sucked. Ditched them and signed with KCHILITES. When the team ditched KC I bought all the lights and that's what's on my car now. I'll upgrade again when the team ditches Bjaa Designs and goes with whoever has a better light or sponsor package.
Thats funny....I have lots of takes offs from our trophy truck. I love truck updates 🙂

Edit: I use the term "our" loosely. "our" TT is the team (Jimco). I by no means own a trophy truck. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats funny....I have lots of takes offs from our trophy truck. I love truck updates 🙂

Edit: I use the term "our" loosely. "our" TT is the team (Jimco). I by no means own a trophy truck. 
Also love the updates from new sponsors. Except when Chase dropped General Tire signed with BFG. Lost my hook up on 35s and 37s. BFG is only giving them 40s. 

I’m running 10 year old vision-x HID.  I hope they never break, they are great to drive with.   

I also replaced the MR-16 lamps in my auxiliary lights with these LEDs   I can’t speak to their longevity as I’ve only had them on a few trips but they do produce about twice the light and only run about 1/4 as hot as my old 50 watt lamps 

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/216420/SORAA-08738.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwqcKFBhAhEiwAfEr7zb0Gpxom7hSrWTNTJbYtV1ClUZiU19GwggNEPcBrVTzkyEvldJ_ntRoCH-cQAvD_BwE

Back