Let's talk GPS

Mac

Reaction score
I have an older Lowrance GPS unit in my car.  It works well and seems fairly easy to use.  I really don't "need" it but I have it so I use it in the background.  I plan on doing my new tin/body work soon and will be doing a new dash to incorporate my new ECU/Digital dash, Switcher, radio and GPS.  

With that said, what GPS units are people using out there that they like?  As mentioned, I have a Lowrence 540C BAJA that isn't bad.  I had a Galaxy tablet in my RZR and it was "meh"  I didn't really use it and the app wasn't intuitive enough for me to want to play with it.  I do know newer apps are out there and people are using them, not needing wifi.  What other apps or functions are people using a tablet for that are worth considering?  Is there an affordable GPS out there that is updated, easy to use...worth having?  Mind you, I only go to Glamis.  If this is worth the money, I might update other wise I'll just use what I have because I really just use it as a backup.

I really like the Garman Outlander super easy, can put a wireless camera on it, very affordable, can be portable.  That is the unit I put in the new Funco and Grant uses quite a few of them.  

Reactions: Mac
I really like the Garman Outlander super easy, can put a wireless camera on it, very affordable, can be portable.  That is the unit I put in the new Funco and Grant uses quite a few of them.  
I'll check this out.

Hope you're doing well man.

I like GPS KIT app on my iPhone. 28 mile run in Green Valley. You can mark camp, don’t even need cell service and it still works.

abc

72731B58-B759-4E78-97E7-7133B4510C7B.jpeg

E08424EF-2796-4411-90B4-F526A75650D6.png

6C559BC9-B601-4459-A8A6-CCE10BE62F87.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Lowrance is the only GPS I've run. Race cars, prerunners, chase trucks and the boat. If you like your current Lowrance then go with what you know. Get the latest model and you won't be disappointed.

Not high tech.....guy in the group is running a I-pad mini with/ cellular (non Wifi) with mount I think he has $150.00 in his set up.  

one day at a time.  Been home now 2 1/2 weeks and I see the light at the end of the tunnel now at least.  Hoping to be able to walk on my own 2 feet and be able to drive by the end of Feb.  almost dying really sucks but I am still here. Thanks for asking. 
I don’t know the circumstances but I wish you the best and a full recovery. I hear those things give you a different outlook on life, it sure did on my dad a few years back. 

Not high tech.....guy in the group is running a I-pad mini with/ cellular (non Wifi) with mount I think he has $150.00 in his set up.  
i have a i pad with lead nave app down loaded sat imagery for all the areas i ride so it works great without cell service. 

Mine is more a 'find your way back to camp or go somewhere specifc app. I think the App is $20. Just need an ipad or iphone... I have a mount but never mounted it.
just looked it up as something simple to have. $9.99 in the apple app store. for $10 figured its good to have 

It has a 'squack' feature too.. you cans see other vehicles that ALSO have the app.

I haven't tried to link up with my wife's but she also has the App on her phone.

I used it all summer in Green Valley, Fawn Skin, etc. I'm gonna make sure she and I can link cause we'll be doing Mammoth, Utah and other spots, just the 2 of us, each with one of the RZR's... as we send our youngest to college in 16 months (I have 4 kids, 30, 25, 23 and almost 17).. 

Oh and we'll have Milo (our 3 year old dog)... probably have to put an air tag on his collar as he will likely be staying in the TH while we ride. With 2 rides, if one breaks and we can't tow it, we can fine eachother, abandon it and go back to camp.

Thats 'the plan!'

abc

PS. She can drive The Orange One, they're exactly the same, but I like The Black One.

9292C405-338F-401A-8FF4-AFCB052F725D.jpeg

C749D011-3134-43A3-92CA-9D78F48F212C.jpeg

9001F011-DA7E-4484-9BD7-19FD9604C37C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
In Glamis I never used my GPS, so I removed it years ago.  Only reason to have it was in case of an emergency so you can relocate someone.  In the desert on My MC, I use my phone currently, I do want to get something else as well.

I have always been a Lowrance guy. The bigger the better. I don't have much experience with the new "live" models. I saw that Garmin just came out with a new GPS. PCI was advertising it. 

In the race car, I used to run Lowrance and Ipad with lead-nav. The Ipad is impossible to see at race speeds or sunlight. SO I used the lead nav for the voice commands and the Lowrance for visual.

You can pick up the Magellan trx7s on offer up pretty reasonable.  They are not as easy as Garmin, but still work well. 

I run the Garmin montana 700i.  I move it from car to car and sometimes on to my dirtbike.  Good size screen, but I LOVE the inreach technology.  I can send a txt from anywhere in the world and if I push the SOS button, they will send a chopper to get me out and possibly save my life.  Comes in handy when deep in baja and no cell service; at least I can txt the wife that I'm still alive.......

They did just release a new built-in version.  Pricey but if your life depends on it, who cares.....

Back