Let’s see your Garage workbench set up

Here is mine. Was supposed to be a 30 x40 metal shop but the building department thought I was building a high-rise or a hospital with the amount of studies, inspections, engineering fire suppression etc. so I told them F you I’m just gonna put two storage containers and use that. So that’s what I did. Works great, I actually prefer working sort of outside. 

View attachment 42457

View attachment 42458

View attachment 42459

Some awesome set ups there
From the size of the space, the lighting and lifts, and the layout 

Vehicles on wheel dollies is a great idea too

cool pictures thanks for posting 👍🏼

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to do some deep cleaning before I post on this thread. l @dunenfool are those containers 20ft?  I have a 24x30 back two car garage and need to add more storage space.

Also, if anyone is looking great storage ideas, real world tool reviews or people who spend WAY too much money on their garages, check out https://www.garagejournal.com/ .

Whats your preference on hanging tools on the wall versus keeping them in a larger mobile tool box/ drawers 

on the wall everything is right there visible - handy if you have/need a helper on a project 

mobile tool box with drawers is clean and good for hauling out to driveway but always needs question and answer for where stuff is 

Also multiple sets of tools

my neighbor has a couple sets of tools - really well organized

I’ve got 3 sets and I’m needing to refine those too 

I have a set for the buggy, my work truck, and my garage set

Im thinking I may create another one for the hauler as well, but crap that’s a lot of $$$ tools - but it will save from hauling tools back and forth 

What’s your approach

I have a set for the buggy, my work trucks, and my garage set

Im thinking I may create another one for the hauler as well, but crap that’s a lot of $$$ tools - but it will save from hauling tools back and forth
My brother learned this the hard way.  He used one set of tools for everything.  He would just pack a small crate or two full of tools, impacts, sockets, jacks, scanner, electrical stuff, etc for every trip.  The morning we left for a week long trip to Utah, he was packing the bed of his truck up and walked in the house for two minutes.  Some @$$h0l3 drove up and stole his tools.  BTW, my brothers is a diesel / fire truck mechanic and used nothing but Snap On.  Two crates came out to roughly $7,000 to replace at today's prices. New plan is too go to Home Depot and buy one of those 100+ piece "homeowner sets" with the essentials and just leave it in the trailer.

Agree on the smaller tool essential sets for mobile use have those in my work trucks 

sucks to hear about that theft/loss 

I have a pegboard over my work bench that stores a set of often used tools. 6 screwdrivers, needle, standard and slip joint pliers, a good set of cutters, etc. It's not a huge set, just common and often used tools. The main set is in a rollaway and several office type 2 door cabinets. I also have a smaller set in the truck for trips. 

I have a detached 22x25 garage in the back, won't post pictures as it is a total mess right now. Decided to strip the walls down to the studs, new electrical, new plumbing, insulate it and add air conditioning to it. It was built in the 1950's with no insulation and old cloth wrapped wire that was a fire waiting to happen. Everything is piled in the center of the shop while I finish it up. The older I get the less I like working in the heat in AZ.

As for tool storage, I have a very large tool box that is well organized, I know what drawer everything is in. The larger tools will be hung on peg board. Tools that come with a case like saws and drills that I don't use very often get stored in their case on shelves. I will post pictures when I have it all wrapped up.

Best thing I think I did was build a 10x10 storage shed for all the lawn tools, mower, shovels, etc and got them out of the shop. They take up a lot of real estate and I was tired of tripping over them. I thought about doing a 20' container but it is a code violation in our city if someone turns you in.

I used to pack a small box of tools for dune trips, etc. Got tired of doing that as well and just put together a basic set of harbor freight tools that stay in the trailer now.

Back