Let’s see your Garage workbench set up

SANDBAM

Reaction score
And finally getting my garage organize with new work benches first day picture

I have a small 2 car garage so organization is everything - and I am trying to get better at it  :bangin:

(Also need help with the upside down picture )

let’s see what you got for a set up What are some essentials for your work space 

last pic is my goal for organized tools and parts 

C58D662B-FAED-4C8D-B439-623F82AE7D36.jpeg

F16FAEBE-3768-40B9-80D5-A6B638FC186F.jpeg

1DF71DEB-A778-4BC5-ACA7-EBBE02DE64F1.jpeg

I used simpson ties to hook it all together...then some post mounts to the floor for the corner with the vise on it.  NO pictures it's a mess, embarassing.

Great TOPic. I'm looking forward to some ideas here for The Dream Home Garage. Peace

Here is my setup.  It's twenty 2x4s cut to the exact length of the space. There are six 4x4s holding it up.  It has literally had a SBC engine sitting on it.  I used five big all threads to go through all of the pieces of wood.  And used Elmer's wood glue between each one of them.  It is now one solid piece of wood.   

The most important thing to me is lighting... I got tons of it.  

20220904_074658.jpg

20220904_074736.jpg

20220904_074750.jpg

20220904_074704.jpg

20220904_074712.jpg

This was my old workbench. I have not built one in my new house yet. 

20201108_164210.jpg

I did the same thing. Wheels on everything! Even my floor cabinets have casters on them. I made a plywood base with casters that our chest freezer sits on. I have Dorman type drawers that are my nut & bolt bins, again I built the stand from square tubing and put it on casters. I built my work bench out of steel and put a kitchen countertop on it. It’s on wheels and then has two 4 drawer lower tool boxes on wheels underneath it. My welding table, it’s on wheels! My drill press and hydraulic press are both on wheels. 

If it’s not up high and bolted to the wall, it’s on casters. Heck even my Prerunner Baja bug sits on those car dolly’s. 

I did the same thing. Wheels on everything! Even my floor cabinets have casters on them. I made a plywood base with casters that our chest freezer sits on. I have Dorman type drawers that are my nut & bolt bins, again I built the stand from square tubing and put it on casters. I built my work bench out of steel and put a kitchen countertop on it. It’s on wheels and then has two 4 drawer lower tool boxes on wheels underneath it. My welding table, it’s on wheels! My drill press and hydraulic press are both on wheels. 

If it’s not up high and bolted to the wall, it’s on casters. Heck even my Prerunner Baja bug sits on those car dolly’s. 
Good advise on wheels - and lighting 👍🏼

Also hearing I need to reinforce the table

thinking I need a steel plate top on the tables too - have seen that in several shops 

thinking I need a steel plate top on the tables too - have seen that in several shops 
i had a steel top broke on top and bottom lips, welded legs to it, and done. its a heavy sob but we built it probably 25 years ago and won't ever fail me lol.

I’m all about good lighting. I have a 3 car garage and I have 4 fixtures, each with 2, 4ft LED bulbs with defuser covers over the light fixture. The are positioned between each car on he ceiling. My garage is also fully drywalled and painted with simi gloss paint so that helps make it brighter. 

Another storage system I installed are those ceiling mounted storage racks. I have 9.5ft ceilings. I mounted them above the garage doors, so they are out of the way and when the garage doors are open no one can see all the totes & crap up there. 

And lastly I installed an attic latter in the ceiling and have around a 8x10ft plywood sheeted floor in the rafters for more storage. Because of the roof peak I can get up there are crawl around. Lots of large decorations, Christmas tree etc.. are kept up there. I might have some old race car parts that I’ve been holding onto thinking one day I might build a buggy for NORRA up there too, but my wife thinks those are gone! 😜

Here is mine. Was supposed to be a 30 x40 metal shop but the building department thought I was building a high-rise or a hospital with the amount of studies, inspections, engineering fire suppression etc. so I told them F you I’m just gonna put two storage containers and use that. So that’s what I did. Works great, I actually prefer working sort of outside. 

887A6E33-1CEF-4D52-925F-7E4EE496AEE2.jpeg

4BC9F3F9-E4BF-407D-81F1-455088B78F63.jpeg

9BD55310-B149-4451-B6FB-9EBBE516792B.jpeg

Here is mine. Was supposed to be a 30 x40 metal shop but the building department thought I was building a high-rise or a hospital with the amount of studies, inspections, engineering fire suppression etc. so I told them F you I’m just gonna put two storage containers and use that. So that’s what I did. Works great, I actually prefer working sort of outside. 

View attachment 42457

View attachment 42458

View attachment 42459
Pretty cool idea. Where are you at that they were giving you a hard time with permits? Could you close in the back and sides of the roof structure? 

Pretty cool idea. Where are you at that they were giving you a hard time with permits? Could you close in the back and sides of the roof structure? 
We are in southern Santa Cruz county, we live on 12 acres.  They are notorious for ruining peoples dreams here. 

We are in southern Santa Cruz county, we live on 12 acres.  They are notorious for ruining peoples dreams here. 
I could easily close it in but technically not legal, I would then need permits. I am ok with it for now. 

Back