Kosher way to mount radiator

Will the larger rubber stepped ends push thru a hole the size of the 'red line' or is this a two piece mount that splits on the center where the red line is?
The larger one has an OD in the middle similar to where I drew the red line. It’s just a 2-piece bushing so you don’t have to smoosh it in there.

There’s a CAD file on all McMaster parts, but my ghetto ass drawing above applies to both.

The larger one has an OD in the middle similar to where I drew the red line. It’s just a 2-piece bushing so you don’t have to smoosh it in there.

There’s a CAD file on all McMaster parts, but my ghetto ass drawing above applies to both.
Thanks! I am going to order some of those.

kartek had this mount when i originally built my car. it was just the top and bottom plates i bought. i made the tubes with threaded bungs to sandwich the rad and welded tubes to them with poly bushings four mounting to chassis. i did put some sheet rubber on them when i clamped the rad in too.

IMG_1134.JPG

newrailengine 028.jpg

newrailengine 029.jpg

P101r0103.JPG

and if you completely rubber isolate the radiator from the chassis its a good idea to ground the radiator to the chassis with a ground wire to help reduce electrolysis.  and always 2 wires off of the fan....  dont just loop the ground wire to the mount for the radiator... 

@Rockwood , is it acceptable to remove the steel sleeve and use a larger bolt with washers on both ends of the rubber bushing or must the supplied steel sleeve be used?C622551E-1B66-430A-A18D-BD4237FD1084.jpeg

If we're me I would get rid of the lock washer, put a nyloc on the bottom and let it float. 

But..... i would change the mount to be horizontal, instead of the vertical mount that is there currently.   

Plenty of ways to skin this cat.  

If we're me I would get rid of the lock washer, put a nyloc on the bottom and let it float. 

But..... i would change the mount to be horizontal, instead of the vertical mount that is there currently.   

Let it float meaning just snug a nyloc up and not torque it down?

Correct.   But....  that grommet is designed to have the weight on it oriented the other way than what you have.  Your way will cut through the middle part of the grommet.  

If I didn't want to rotate it I would put a smaller bolt through it and leave the sleeve in it and snug it down against the sleeve.  Also with a nyloc.  Snugged up, not cranked down.  

Correct.   But....  that grommet is designed to have the weight on it oriented the other way than what you have.  Your way will cut through the middle part of the grommet.  

If I didn't want to rotate it I would put a smaller bolt through it and leave the sleeve in it and snug it down against the sleeve.  Also with a nyloc.  Snugged up, not cranked down.  
OK I'll try that. Thanks

The bottom mount is carrying the load, the upper mounts are keeping it from tipping over and occasionally trying to jump out of the lower mount. Orientation is as correct as it’s gonna get. 

The bottom mount is carrying the load, the upper mounts are keeping it from tipping over and occasionally trying to jump out of the lower mount. Orientation is as correct as it’s gonna get. 
While i agree that is how its supposed to work.... That is presuming it is sitting all the way down in the cradle.  If the hole was drilled a bit to high, it could actually be sitting on the bolts and not down in the cradle.  Also presuming that the foam has not disintegrated enough that it's not holding the weight of the radiator.   

The orientation is as good as its gonna get, is he's not willing to do something about it.  

Again....  lots of ways to skin this cat.  And they all make for some good Chinese food.  

While i agree that is how its supposed to work.... That is presuming it is sitting all the way down in the cradle.  If the hole was drilled a bit to high, it could actually be sitting on the bolts and not down in the cradle.  Also presuming that the foam has not disintegrated enough that it's not holding the weight of the radiator.   

The orientation is as good as its gonna get, is he's not willing to do something about it.  

Again....  lots of ways to skin this cat.  And they all make for some good Chinese food.  
Yeah. I suggested he make sure the upper mount was loose and not under tension earlier in the thread to counter that. 

Appreciate everyones help with this. The rubber grommets for the upper mounts are only a temporary fix for the first and only trip of the year. I'll work on instaling the CBR mounting kit this winter (my off season) as well as work on a better mount for the fuel tank.

Back