Kinetic ropes. Educate me

Before my first trip to Glamis with my new to me Class C, I installed this feller:

https://www.etrailer.com/Front-Receiver-Hitch/Ford/E-Series+Cutaway/2015/65053.html?VehicleID=201524029

I've used it 3-4 times.  Worth it.  No worries about destroying suspension parts or bumpers.

For kinetic recovery, I only use soft shackles to connect to both vehicles.  No D-rings, and I use a winch blanket.  This guy:

https://www.harborfreight.com/winch-damper-57600.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12144811130&campaignid=12144811130&utm_content=129616994621&adsetid=129616994621&product=57600&store=&gclid=CjwKCAiAqt-dBhBcEiwATw-ggMvDgq7EXgsKDh9M_FtOonqFU1pyNyEArNaZTLQUSTIDOBk2ZtUuQBoCTA8QAvD_BwE

Has velcro to keep it on and pockets you can fill with sand for extra weight.  For $11, no reason to not have it.

If you use the trailer hitch without a recovery bar, make a sleeve out of 1/8" wall or thicker tubing to put over the pin so it won't bend in the middle and get stuck.  

Oh yeah: I add zip ties to the narrow end of my soft shackles to help feed them through things.  Makes it so you can pull the shackle through rather than try to shove the chinese finger trap through and get pissed.

I always carry the number to the local tow company to give to people when they're stuck..... just being a nice guy ....:)

I volunteered my neighbors 4x4 dually to pull out a guy....he fried his new trans.....oops

They work AWESOME!

I have a Bubba rope and soft shackles. @L.R.S. made the mistake of asking me to move his moho down to our camp once and I sank that b!tch like the Titanic! My group and I dug it out before he got there and we had to disconnect his trailer and used my dually to yank out the moho, then I backed in, hooked up his trailer and used his moho to yank out my dually and the trailer.

The kinetic ropes are worth their weight in gold!

Now that I have a moho, I want to add a tow hitch in the front cause its only a matter of time before I stick it in the sand!

Don't cheap out!!! Bubba, Yankum, whatever you get, get it a bit bigger just to be on the safe side.
2016.  Seems so long ago.  My coach has been on a tow rope one other time.  The center of Roadrunner got deep AF a few seasons ago and turning off the asphalt into the center breezeway I was stuck.  @tjZ06 pulled me out with his Duramax.

20170104_152042.jpg

20170104_151747.jpg

Kinetic rope, what a marketing scam. All these are is double braid nylon. Some put a coating on them. We’ve been using double braid nylon in the marine industry for decades for ship mooring lines. Once they get a little old we can’t use them to tie up ships any more and we have to pay to dispose of them. I guess I should start selling them instead. Of course, then some a-hole would do something stupid and hurt or kill someone and sue me. I guess I’ll just keep throwing them away 💰💰

Kinetic rope, what a marketing scam. All these are is double braid nylon. Some put a coating on them. We’ve been using double braid nylon in the marine industry for decades for ship mooring lines. Once they get a little old we can’t use them to tie up ships any more and we have to pay to dispose of them. I guess I should start selling them instead. Of course, then some a-hole would do something stupid and hurt or kill someone and sue me. I guess I’ll just keep throwing them away 💰💰
We ( the electrical trade) have been pulling wire with the for years. I pay roughly $1500.-- for a 500' rope with a eyelet on each end.  Guess your pay more for the splice on the end then the rope for $900 for a 20' rope.

We'll sign a waiver.....

Any tow rope is better than no tow rope.  
I cut the excess (7’-10’’) straps off my 2” x20’ ratchet straps and pieced them together (2 straps wide and about 25’-30’ long),  threw it the Moho and have used it twice since for getting the Moho to hard ground!! $0

Last edited by a moderator:
Back