Kinetic ropes. Educate me

URCLEVER

Reaction score
Last week we had to tug my buddies coach out after the rain. I was lucky enough the good fellas in camp funco lent me a strap to get him out. Thank you guys again. But I want to keep a heavy duty strap in my rig just in case. Are all kinetic ropes the same? Is 1 better than the other. In pismo freedom ropes were popular. Bubba ropes seems over priced at $900+ for a 1x30 rope. Most advertise 30k + rating. But are rhey all rhe same.? Look forward to hearing some good input. Thanks in advance.

Last week we had to tug my buddies coach out after the rain. I was lucky enough the good fellas in camp funco lent me a strap to get him out. Thank you guys again. But I want to keep a heavy duty strap in my rig just in case. Are all kinetic ropes the same? Is 1 better than the other. In pismo freedom ropes were popular. Bubba ropes seems over priced at $900+ for a 1x30 rope. Most advertise 30k + rating. But are rhey all rhe same.? Look forward to hearing some good input. Thanks in advance.
I have the Bubba rope, I have used it a couple of times, it’s worked great. 
Not sure which one you are looking at for $900.00 but this is cheaper than that. $365.00 on Amazon.  

Bubba Rope BIG BUBBA 30-FOOT Model 176720ORG Off-Road Power Stretch Kinetic Kit 1-1/4" x 30' ft. Recovery Rope With Breaking Strength of 52300 Lb. In Orange / Black Color, Accessory Ideal for Recovery and Towing Stuck Vehicles https://a.co/d/7kipaUs

I’ve always had straps, recently got a 1” Yankum rope but haven’t used it yet. Only experience using a kinetic rope is a lighter duty Amazon special for Sandrail recovery, it’s survived a few tugs and a couple of tows out of the dunes.  

I can’t imagine that they are all that different for recreational use as long as they are sufficient diameter.

FWIW my advice for any towing equipment would be just don’t cheap out on any metal hardware. Use an actual shackle in the hitch, not a tow ball. The tow straps with the open metal hooks sketch me out too(I have one, never use it)

If a rope breaks probably not much will happen, if a chunk of metal fails it might go through someone’s face. 

According to yankum ropes, the stretch comes from the weave of the nylon, not a bungee type material inside. I had held off buying one thinking that the bungee type material would deteriorate quickly and I rarely use my tow strap.  I will go with yankum ropes only because I watch Matts offroad recovery alot and they are sponsored by Yankum. I would think any name brand will be a high quality product. I also second the suggestion of high quality rated name brand shackles, recovery points, and well designed accessories. There is a ton of force being applied with vehicle recovery so use good products. 

Our group should really get one. We could probably split it and it won’t be that expensive. We have 1 4x4 truck and the other two are class C motorhomes. I’ve been stuck before and it’s not fun. Seems the kinetic ropes are a little more friendly on the parts of the vehicle. I don’t have a hook up point on my motorhome though. 

Our group chipped in for a Bubba Rope over ten years ago after constantly sinking at least one rig each trip.  It has held up well and we typically use a diesel pickup to pull out everything from other trucks w/ toyhaulers to the small DP w/enclosed (no stackers in our group). 

When looking to order one for our new to us Moho, I contacted Yankum and Bubba. One said to rate your rope size on the vehicle doing the pulling while the other said to rate it on the vehicle being pulled but both wanted a good safety factor so size accordingly. Solid connection points are a must on each end as any flying steel is no bueno, we've added mounts to the front of our Moho to pull from.  Once setup correctly, I'm a big fan of that style for pulling rigs out having unfortunately been on both ends over the years. 

Post this question on the Jerk Pirates page. Danny Hensley owns Freedom Ropes and it would be interesting to hear what makes his ropes better than the others. 

Our group should really get one. We could probably split it and it won’t be that expensive. We have 1 4x4 truck and the other two are class C motorhomes. I’ve been stuck before and it’s not fun. Seems the kinetic ropes are a little more friendly on the parts of the vehicle. I don’t have a hook up point on my motorhome though. 
I'm in.  They make front tow hitch receivers for many class C motorhomes.

They work AWESOME!

I have a Bubba rope and soft shackles. @L.R.S. made the mistake of asking me to move his moho down to our camp once and I sank that b!tch like the Titanic! My group and I dug it out before he got there and we had to disconnect his trailer and used my dually to yank out the moho, then I backed in, hooked up his trailer and used his moho to yank out my dually and the trailer.

The kinetic ropes are worth their weight in gold!

Now that I have a moho, I want to add a tow hitch in the front cause its only a matter of time before I stick it in the sand!

Don't cheap out!!! Bubba, Yankum, whatever you get, get it a bit bigger just to be on the safe side.

I’ve had a 30k kinetic rope since 2005, think it’s 1-1/4”. We were Pismo people then so getting un-stuck was always on the list of to-dos. We had a diesel 4x4 and 5vr then too. No issues ever with the rope and still use it today with our Moho and box trailer.

The key to using it is learning how hard you need to pull, bump or JERK the stuck vehicle.

Unfortunately the MoHo has limited connection points in front. Both MoHos I’ve had I installed/built a recovery point out the front. The only other point is the leaf spring or axle, which are low and you risk pulling the grill facia off.

Watching Matt’s Off-road recovery I’ve learned a few new tricks for low vehicles. Haven’t needed them but good to know, now.

At a minimum I would think the rope should be able to handle the recovery vehicles weight by 1.5x.

Also good to have a sling strap and a few shackles to make a sling, recovery point or guide for the kinetic rope to attach to.

We bought the Rhino Kinetic Rope and soft shackles since it is significantly cheaper and we had some ratchets from them in the past that were decent. Tugged out a dodge hooked up to a triple axle tow behind weekend warrior over new years and it worked worked much better than a traditional tow strap. Quality seems nice, rope is a pretty hefty, hoping it holds up for a long time.

https://www.rhinousainc.com/products/kinetic-energy-recovery-rope

https://www.rhinousainc.com/products/7-16-synthetic-soft-shackles

Totally worth it, I pulled a buddies pusher and staker out last year with my 7/8 Yankum, I hit him hard and it was smooth, no jerk.  I have used it a few other times in the Jeep, so worth the money.

Back