Jeep Lift Question(s)

wapawekka

Reaction score
Just picked up a 21 JL Rubicon Unlimited. Jeep was purchased for a few reasons. 

1. It will be my daily driver. About 50 miles per day.

2. I wanted something to tow behind the motorhome.

3. I'd like to do MODERATE off-roading. Mostly trails to get back to fishing spots or remote areas. No real plans of rock crawling or anything like that. Super moderate. Just to have some family fun.

With that said, I'd like to do 2-2.5 inch lift and put wheels/tires on it. I'd like to run 35s. There are about a million different options ranging from $300 to $2000. From body lifts to full suspension lifts. I'd like some advice on what I should do for what I'd like to use it for? Is a suspension lift necessary? If so, I don't mind spending the money. Or will a body lift/shocks do the job for me? I'd like to keep on road ride quality decent as I daily drive, but I'm not too concerned about fuel economy. I was daily driving a Ram 3500 before this.

Let me know what you all think.

IMG_7926.jpg

The mopar 2” lift works well on the jl. My buddy has done all the big bear trails with his jl on 35s with that lift. 

The $300 lift kit will beat you to death, it is cheap shocks and cheap springs. Look for a progressive rate spring and a quality shock. The shocks is where you will spend  the money. My jeep had a 2.5" rough county lift kit and the first time out with the new 35" tires I ripped off both rear fenders. Went to a 3.5" lift progressive rate springs with ADS shocks and the ride was night and day different.

FYI I have the springs, bumps stop brackets and rear track bar bracket for Mopar 2” for JK that anyone can have if they need it. 

I would stay away from any body lift. I wanted something that rode close to stock.

4West recommended Icon. I went with the Icon stage 2 (2.5") and added a Terraflex trackbar.

Rides great, not too stiff and fits the 37" tires fine.

IMG_3075.jpeg

I have the 2" mopar  lift with 37s and it works great. I also don't go crazy extreme.

IMG_9623.JPG

My new to me JK has a BDS lift with Fox shocks. Rides a little squishy but I dont know if that is just a Jeep or?

Call Out Off road, talk to Cody. He is a Jeeper and can talk you through the different options. I stopped by last week and chatted for a bit.

You can run 35"s pretty well w/o a lift on a JL, you just have to bump stop a bit... which isn't a big deal if you're not going hardcore anyway.  In fact, if you're not going hardcore you can just run the 35"s.  That said, a 2-2.5" lift is *better* for 35"s because you don't have to bump stop it out more and you get that extra belly clearance.  For your use-case I'd just do the Mopar, but I'd considering adding a beefier front track bar and also Synergy's trackbar/sector shaft brace: https://www.synergymfg.com/synergy-jeep-jl-jt-front-track-bar-and-sector-shaft-brace.html

Here's a good watch too:

-TJ

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to do MODERATE off-roading. Mostly trails to get back to fishing spots or remote areas. No real plans of rock crawling or anything like that. Super moderate. Just to have some family fun.

If the above statement is true you do not need a lift kit. LOL Go enjoy and try it out first. If you ever come across a situation you think you need more then buy a lift.

A real locker will get you more places than a lift.
He got a Rubicon, e-lockers front and rear (and front sway bar disconnect) stock.  They'll do a LOT bone stock.  But, they're pretty long and from what I've seen with buddies on the trial they drag belly a good bit (not as much as JTs, of course).  Going up to 35"s will buy him a bit of pumpkin clearance, and a 2" lift on top of that gives great belly-clearance (aka break-over).  Most ppl go 37"s on a 2" with JLR/JLUR though... but 35"s will be fine. 

-TJ

Getting High centered is the only issue I had in ocotillo. 

He got a Rubicon, e-lockers front and rear (and front sway bar disconnect) stock.  They'll do a LOT bone stock.  But, they're pretty long and from what I've seen with buddies on the trial they drag belly a good bit (not as much as JTs, of course).  Going up to 35"s will buy him a bit of pumpkin clearance, and a 2" lift on top of that gives great belly-clearance (aka break-over).  Most ppl go 37"s on a 2" with JLR/JLUR though... but 35"s will be fine. 

-TJ
Will he have to re-gear with 37's? or is the JL different from the JK?

With the V-6 or 4 cyl turbo, 37s will be a pull and would be best to regear.

With the diesel (or 392 V-8) however, you don't notice. I can still bark the tires easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
At 37"s most don't regear with the JL.  1st gear in the 8HP is 4.71, and 2nd is still 3.13:1 so it really lets you get away with a lot.  For comparison, 1st gear in my WJ's 545RFE is 3:1 and a JK's 5-speed auto that came w/ the 3.6 was 3.59:1.  Being a Rubicon it'll have 4.10:1s in the axle (unless it's a diesel or 392).  With 37"s you'll find you don't get into 8th gear as much though.  4.56s would be a nice choice for the 3.6 or 2.0T and 37"s. 

With the V-6 or 4 cyl turbo, 37s will be a pull and would be best to regear.

With the diesel (or 392 V-8) however, you don't notice. I can still bark the tires easily.
The diesel and 392 get 3.73s and still seem to be happy with 37"s.  

-TJ

Thanks for the info guys. I’m gonna order the wheels/tires first. See how they look/feel without a lift and go from there. I can already see these Jeep upgrades can be a endless pit of money! Going to have to take things slow. 

On a side note. This is actually my first hard top Jeep.

The thing I missed the most was folding the top back. It can quickly fold without putting the whole top down.

The Bestop Sunrider solved that. Kinda expensive, but it folds back at a red light if you want and closes just as fast. Love this set up.

DSC_0120.jpeg

Back