Is Craigslist Virtually Dead?

Dockmaster

Reaction score
Curious how many folks still use Craigslist or what other similar sites do you use instead? I've not had much luck selling items on C/L of recent but when I put them on other sites they seem to get way more attention and sell faster. I wonder if this is just a fluke or is C/L dying? Example: I listed a MAC toolbox on C/L for more than a month and got virtually no interest even after lowering the price $500. I put it on Amazon Marketplace and got 3 folks wanting it in the first day and sold it the next day. Wish I had put it on MP at my original price to see what happened but I only listed there at the reduced price. I don't sell low $$ items on any site as I find it's just not worth the time and hassle. Low dollar stuff just goes in the give away pile. So my observation is on stuff generally like $500 and up and I don't sell often so my sample set is limited. It seems like C/L has been taken over by scammers, spammers and flakes so maybe people just ignore it now?

What other sites do you like? Do you use Offer up or Let it go or what? Seems like FB Marketplace has quite a bit on it. The one thing I've noticed is C/L seems easier to search and narrow down to what I'm looking for vs the other sites. Maybe I'm just not as familiar with those other sites and need to learn how to search them better. 

I still use Craigslist.  Not as much traffic as before but still works.  OfferUp is my go to but just recently signed up for Facebook just for the Marketplace.  Parts for 85-86 ATC250R & 86-89 TRX250R are hard to come by so I have to use them all. 

I have been anti-facebook since day 1, still don't have a personal account. Considering getting one just for the marketplace. it seems to be the place to go. Haven't been on craigslist for a couple years, offer up and enthusiast sites like GD have been my go to. I like looking at some other sites but they seem to have things listed at an ultra premium$. 

Yep, u found the same thing

Craigslist = dead

Offerup = mostly dead

FB marketplace = where you seem to have to go.  

I got rid of FB a couple of years ago and am much happier for it.

CL is Dead and Buried for anything I sell or want.

I hate FB Marketplace for so many reasons, but if you are looking for buyers "suckers" it's the place.  People pay way too much, and sellers sell the worst junk, and then you can count 100% on their being scammers and more low ballers than you can count especially if you are selling a truck or car. I have have sold 3 trucks there, and many other high value items.  That said some friends have gotten remarkable deals and sold nice stuff for good prices in hours or days with no hassle on FB marketplace ...

OfferUp is one place I never had luck buying but have had luck selling, it's usually fast and easy.  I have put stuff up there and taken it to work and sold it same of next day- they drop by and pick it up  - thats pretty easy

And ebay is still a goto for some stuff, I cannot believe the stuff I have sold there even through its basically Amazon now.

I miss the old GD site for buying and selling 

I hate OfferUp, too many losers who will waste your time with multiple messages and "Is it still available?" or "What's your address?" and never show up. FB Marketplace has been the goto for selling stuff lately. I don't do FB myself so I enlist my spouse to do all of the listing and negotiating. Funny thing is I end up not seeing any of the money LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
The worst is the auction portion of offer up...you make a full price offer then they sell it out from under you.... F them. 

Seems to be crappy buyers and sellers on craigslist. Lots of requests for "more pictures" on craigslist but no reply when you ask them what they specifically want pictures of. Lots of no title and  title in someone else name. I wonder if some things listed for sale fell out of the sky and landed in their yard because they don't know anything about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, u found the same thing

Craigslist = dead

Offerup = mostly dead

FB marketplace = where you seem to have to go.  

I got rid of FB a couple of years ago and am much happier for it.
This. 

unloading alot of my excess toys. Zero interest from clist or offerup and pay 5$.

get way more interest hangin a for sale sign on it and driving around town.

i dont facebook

I still use CL, but it is very hit and miss. It's definitely not the "in thing" right now. I also think many folks are just plain tapped out right now.

CL - for "free stuff" and atc 70s sometimes

Offer Up - Had good luck with it

FB marketplace - Im not on FB but my son is and sometimes have him post stuff

Ebay - very expensive but grab bars have a good following / 

GD.com - still like this the best WAY BETTER community for offroad stuff

:poule:

I always have 150 to 200 active ads on Facebook marketplace and Craigslist both. What I have found is they are very different audiences. Craigslist guys will not have a Facebook page. And vice versa Facebook marketplace people would not get on craigslist. So I run all my ads both places. What really sucks is Craigslist ads expire after 45 days and you lose your photos. The easiest way for me is actually download photos from each Facebook marketplace ad to re-up the Craigslist ads. It is a pain in the ass for sure. I have been redoing about 15 ads per evening this week on Craigslist. That is what it takes though. I will say on Facebook marketplace you get a ton of inquiries and never hear back from the person. Not near as much on craigslist.

I hate offer up. I don’t have Facebook and refuse. I use Craigslist for some stuff. Vehicles I use Instagram pages like famous or Epic. 
I still like Craigslist, I just can identify the scammers. I have even gotten some great employees off Craigslist adds. 

I have been anti-facebook since day 1, still don't have a personal account. Considering getting one just for the marketplace. it seems to be the place to go. Haven't been on craigslist for a couple years, offer up and enthusiast sites like GD have been my go to. I like looking at some other sites but they seem to have things listed at an ultra premium$. 
Only reason I signed up for FB is MP. I dont even check my 'Profile'

CL is still there but I think Offerup and FBMP took away from it. When I am bored I check all 3 

I don’t even look at CL anymore. Most things are also listed on FB marketplace and OfferUp. I’ve sold several bikes on OfferUp and have gotten top dollar for them, however, you sift through a mountain or BS to get there. 

If you are looking for something further out searchtempest.com is a great tool. Type in your keyword, zip code, and range you want to search. Then it will give you everything on Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, and eBay all with one search

Does the Meta on this site work anymore, with the old side, if you google sand car related it went back to this site, does not feel like this site comes up to often anymore

Facebook is a communist/subversive organization.

Offerup doesnt do anything in my area, and I see obvious scams on it.

Cl is the best to search for something on.  Best = easiest.  Ads are free (except on vehicles).  So, it is reduced, but still the best...by a long way.

Interesting feedback, more still using CL than I thought. I don't like FB either and am not signed up there. I use Marketplace and follow a good, active page for Renegade RV's using my wife's log in. It's fun to post some technical/mechanical info and see how some comment as it appears it is coming from her  :classic_laugh:

Back