Improving the ride in my 99 Dodge Ram

Post a picture of the rear bumper. I’ve got access to 1” steel plate. Maybe cut some and bolt them in frame rails or weld to rear bumper. 

It's a 22 year old dodge, strike an arc on it and it would fall apart.  LOL. 

I thought about bolting something in back in the bed.  Steel is stupid expensive...  

It's a 22 year old dodge, strike an arc on it and it would fall apart.  LOL. 

I thought about bolting something in back in the bed.  Steel is stupid expensive...  
Iv got 1/2 thick  by 50” plate of ya wann go that route 

image.jpg

Another thing you could do is to pull every other leaf out of the pack, or whatever works for your spring stack..  Then add air bags for when you haul.  This wasn't uncommon a few years ago.

I have a camper shell on my F-350 and it rides pretty dang good. Take the shell off and its terrible! Maybe something to consider....

I was thinking the same as a WAY over built rear bumper. 
I thought about getting one of those super big sheet metal bumpers (mostly because the front bumper has the Dodge twist to it, but @ this point I dont want to sink more money into this old azz truck. 

I have a camper shell on my F-350 and it rides pretty dang good. Take the shell off and its terrible! Maybe something to consider....
I put tall things into the bed too often for that.  I had one on my Toyota truck years ago & it was great.  mileage improved as well. 

thanks for the opinions folks, I appreciate a fresh look @ things!!! 

Another thing you could do is to pull every other leaf out of the pack, or whatever works for your spring stack..  Then add air bags for when you haul.  This wasn't uncommon a few years ago.
Did that on my first VW rail link pin. 1st rode rough-took off shocks all together. Was better  but still stiff. Cut 2 or 3 springs out and it rode like a dream!

there’s always give and take with suspension. At least the suspension I can afford. 

We used to use sandbags. Free from your local fire department depending where you live. 

Could significantly drop rear tire pressure. My fronts are always higher than the rear when im not towing. 

There is finesse, care, precision, accuracy and then there is brute force. This is the brute force way about this.  

Thanks again to @Drupanddown for the steel this does the trick for me.  I rode around for a week with it thrown in the back and the ride is worlds better.  

The short ones are 27.8 lb each and the long ones are 56 lbs.  That is 335.2 lbs plus hardware.  

The ride height dropped by 1/2" measured right at the bottom of the read quarter panel.

I thought about sticking them port to starboard at the tailgate but putting the bolts in would have been a PITA with the spare tire, and this will have to come out when I put my fuel tank in for desert season. 

With my aging back and knees moving 50 lb weights is much easier than 100+ lb weights .  Thwre are some things I  wish I could do over again and taking care of my back is one of them.... 

20220713_192132.jpg

20220713_083048.jpg

20220717_075521.jpg

20220717_075444.jpg

I’ve run (2) 50lbs bags of sand in the bed of my CC/LB Dmax for 16 years now to help calm it down. Get em from HD for a few bucks a bag. They last a couple years if you don’t snag and rip the plastic with something. Also look into the Sulastic Shackles. They’re not cheap like the sand bags but seem to have made a noticeable difference for me. I also run Bilstein 5100s.

Back