I'm new to this and need advice

and TIG is far superior to MIG in all aspects and applications.

and there is NO WAY 930 CV's can live longer than 2 trips.

and there is ONLY one grease that works for CV's.

and TIG is far superior to MIG in all aspects and applications.

and there is NO WAY 930 CV's can live longer than 2 trips.

and there is ONLY one grease that works for CV's.
Not only that, his DOM won’t last through the first trip.  He needs to scrap it and replace with chromoly!

OP, if you come back.  That car will be more fun than you can imagine. That type1 front end is indestructible.  Not a whole lot of travel but you are hard pressed to break it.  The car will break you before you break that front end.  Those old bilstines looked done-for but fresh shocks should be really cheep and easy to instal (unlike the bypass shocks I’m thinking of putting on my VW)

Kartek will probably have your transaxle seals , just call them I can’’t remember the VW guy’s name but he is as nice as can be and will hook you right up

I don’t think I’ve ever been in a sand car with a parking brake.  Just park flat or parallel the slope or in a pinch, put it in 1st.  

Thanks everyone. Apparently the forum doesn't email me when I get replies, so I didn't think to come back sooner. I checked the follow topic button when I posted (two days ago btw, not 3), so I don't know what happened. 

I'll grab some more pics for you, I just gotta pull her out of the driveway. I'm definitely going to check out the links, but as for the parking brake thing, I don't know if I actually need turning brakes, but I do need an e-brake so I don't have to carry around a wheel chock in case it comes out of gear. And for boots, I was already planning on split boots, but since I need to do seals on the transaxle side of both axles, I could do it right and go for one piece boots. 

I live in the Colorado River Mohave Desert area, so dunes will be a rare place to see. Although I do have plans to visit Dumont, since it's a lot closer to me, I'm stuck in the desert for now. No roads, just trails. 

Also, some of the replies went right over my head, like TIG, MIG, DOM, Chromo. Sorry. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone. Apparently the forum doesn't email me when I get replies, so I didn't think to come back sooner. I checked the follow topic button when I posted (two days ago btw, not 3), so I don't know what happened. 

I'll grab some more pics for you, I just gotta pull her out of the driveway. I'm definitely going to check out the links, but as for the parking brake thing, I don't know if I actually need turning brakes, but I do need an e-brake so I don't have to carry around a wheel chock in case it comes out of gear. And for boots, I was already planning on split boots, but since I need to do seals on the transaxle side of both axles, I could do it right and go for one piece boots. 

I live in the Colorado River Mohave Desert area, so dunes will be a rare place to see. Although I do have plans to visit Dumont, since it's a lot closer to me, I'm stuck in the desert for now. No roads, just trails. 

Also, some of the replies went right over my head, like TIG, MIG, DOM, Chromo. Sorry. 
All good. This forum is very active and needy! We can't live without the pics!! You'll have boat loads of fun in that thing! The usual consensus is leave it in 1st. Never seen one come out of gear but not sure on your landscape if there isn't many flat spots to stop at. Good luck! Can't wait to see it rolling if you post about it! 

TIG is Tungsten inert gas welding, MIG is Metal inert gas welding and there’s age old dispute over which is better.  Screw you all, I use flux core but I’m fixing fences LOL.    DOM is drawn over mandrel tubing VS chromoly tubing, another ageless argument.

As far as “dunes will be a rare place to see”. Don’t be so quick to decide.  One trip and it’s pretty addicting :) 

I really want to see pics of the whole rail, too. Cool project I would bet its a old BugPack or Fugative frame.

The wooden shift knob is LEGIT!

Also I to wonder about the E-Brake versus turning brake swap/question. maybe just add a stock e-brake lever on the driver left in/outside the frame seat. Or add a line lock between the master cyliders.
line lock will be the easiest and cheapest way to do a park brake

you do not want to get rid of the turning brake, part of the fun of a basic buggy

hydraulic parking brake kit - Google Search

91031301_L1600_b80cf854-25a0-4497-aa7d-7917aa3f915c.webp

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

91031301_L1600_b80cf854-25a0-4497-aa7d-7917aa3f915c.webp

or................. dont leave it in gear, have it roll to the bottom of the dune & call it "todays cardio" or "todays  stupid tax".  Ive paid that a couple of times.  LOL. 

xgVpi0Ty9jKNIhpLmOeSLizvMf5OecGHl9Bmf7-NE2g.jpg

As far as “dunes will be a rare place to see”. Don’t be so quick to decide.  One trip and it’s pretty addicting :) 
I've been to Dumont once when I was young, so I definitely want to go back now with my kids, and over here we have Kelso Dunes (an hour and a half from here, and ironically, on the way from here to Dumont, which is closer to 3 hours from here), though unfortunately there's no ohv allowed there. Although, Glamis is also 3 hours from here, just in the opposite direction. What I mean is that I don't usually have the kind of extra money it takes to travel. Unofficially disabled on a fixed income with a 20-30 hour per month job for the Census Bureau. 

Since I've taken pictures of it before, here is a couple from last year along with some of my view of the desert. I love it 😎

And my drum 

20210614_195129.jpg

20220801_185058.jpg

20220529_162031.jpg

20220528_161731.jpg

20220511_132828.jpg

20211108_090703.jpg

20230120_145519.jpg

https://www.appletreeauto.com/bilstein-shock-f4-be5-e677-h0/

I think I found a good deal on shocks, as this looks like the ones I have on the front, but I'm not sure if I can also use them on the back. I guess the ones on the back are adjustable coil overs? But they seem to be the same size as the front ones. What's the benefit of using them over the basic ones like on the front? 

16751129896352239902701985493141.jpg

RATS....I looked up the parking brake lock, then I see that somebody already posted it.

It looks like you may have leaking Wheel Cylinders.  If you replace them w/WCs from the front, they are a larger diameter and you'll be able to lock up. easier, the rear wheels.  Sometimes those big meats don't like to stop turning.  The front WCs are the same bolt-pattern, direct bolt on>  I really recommend it on a rail w/just rear brakes.

https://www.jbugs.com/product/3155.html

Well, I at least have brakes at all four corners, and they are drums, but I have zero experience working on them. As for the leak, I'm not sure if that's trans fluid, I do still need to replace the boots on both sides. Although I'm not ruling it out, I may also have leaky wheel bearings, as there's what looks like axle grease on the rims too. 

the coil-over in the rear someone either didn't know how to adjust the torsion or added them as a band-aid

with the torsion springs just the bilstien gas shock is all that's needed, when adjusted correctly. If not then it kinda makes sense to have both even though they fight each other

the coil-over in the rear someone either didn't know how to adjust the torsion or added them as a band-aid

with the torsion springs just the bilstien gas shock is all that's needed, when adjusted correctly. If not then it kinda makes sense to have both even though they fight each other
Thanks. I don't know what a torsion spring looks like. Is that what's attached to the axle just before the drum there that the brake line goes around? I think you're saying I have both based on the picture and will do just fine with the same kind of gas shocks front and back that I linked earlier? Are they also adjustable or is that just the coil overs? 

Back