Hummer H3 info or opinions

Anyone own or use to own a Hummer H3? Any opinions or info about them? 

They seem to be pretty affordable for its capabilities, especially when comparing to Jeep. Parts look to be easily available being that it’s all GM. Not much aftermarket available, but not sure how much is needed? 

Looking for something that can be towed behind the RV, off road capable, yet still comfortable on the road. 

I’ve been exploring other platforms as well. Really like what the gen 1 toyota sequioa has to offer. 05-07 seem to be best year (trans/motor)

Can the sequoia be flat towed? 
They have a manually shifting transfer case with a neutral (some limiteds are push button). Some say yes and they do it all the time. Some say no and it will ruin it. Typical internet bs

I’ve been exploring other platforms as well. Really like what the gen 1 toyota sequioa has to offer. 05-07 seem to be best year (trans/motor)
I have not looked into the Toyota Sequioa. A few things that interested me about the H3 was first the price compared to a 4 door Jeep or equal ability 4wd. No the H3 does not have the articulation the Jeep has, but it’s more comfortable on the road. Allot of the features the H3 offers Jeep did not at the time, like lockers, or if 2008-2010, the H3 has front & rear lockers in the Adventure package. Other things are ability to flat tow. The ability to add 35 inch tires with no mods, besides a turn if the torsion adjuster. And because it’s a GM product the power & drivetrain parts are available and not to expensive. The Alfa package adds the V8 which is just a GM 5.3.

In many ways I see the new Ford Bronco as a modern day version of the H3 with IFS, factory lockers, 35 inch tires etc.. 

Benefits to me of the sequoia.

interior space

coil over suspension (king fox etc sell kits) same as tundra many systems available.

million mile motor

partial or full time 4wd w/ electronic center diff. (Same running gear as land cruiser)

Its a toyota, reliability can’t be beat. 

We had a 2008 H3 Alpha with Offroad package for awhile and I enjoyed it. Had a 4" lift, 35's, 4:1 Tcase and 4:10 gears. Ran great and had plenty of power with the V8. 

Felt squished driving it and didn't like the visibility but overall, good vehicle. 

Another option that's far cheaper than a Jeep/H3, but similarly capable to the H3 would be the Xterra. 

1st gen is gutless and timing belt (MUST be replaced every 100k).  Drivetrain is nearly invincible (old school 90s Nissan type chit).  Smaller inside and out.

2nd gen has a lot more room, loads of power, timing chain, the front diff isn't super strong, but it is an otherwise well-built and simple machine.  Off Road or Pro-4X package came with a rear locker.

Only the manual can be flat towed though.  Auto would require the driveshaft to be removed.

Another option that's far cheaper than a Jeep/H3, but similarly capable to the H3 would be the Xterra. 

1st gen is gutless and timing belt (MUST be replaced every 100k).  Drivetrain is nearly invincible (old school 90s Nissan type chit).  Smaller inside and out.

2nd gen has a lot more room, loads of power, timing chain, the front diff isn't super strong, but it is an otherwise well-built and simple machine.  Off Road or Pro-4X package came with a rear locker.

Only the manual can be flat towed though.  Auto would require the driveshaft to be removed.
Automatic trans would be required and pulling the driveshaft would not be feasible, as this would be a tow behind vehicle for me.  Do they not have a transfer case that can be put into a neutral? 

Automatic trans would be required and pulling the driveshaft would not be feasible, as this would be a tow behind vehicle for me.  Do they not have a transfer case that can be put into a neutral? 
2nd gen, nope.  Electronic dial with no N option.

1st gen, yes.  Manual shifter with N position.

Well overall I like my H3. The transmission did explode 2 months ago on my way to work. I called AAA told them its a 4WD all the time and will need a flatbed. I called for a ride to work and left it. Well that was a BIG mistake! From what I can tell tow driver put trans into neutral and left transfer case in gear and drug it up onto his bed. End result was damaging my from CVs and axles, took out front diff seals and mounting as well. AAA said it didnt happen left me for another $1,600 out of pocket in delco parts and a entire weekend to fix it myself. I have towed it behind my MH it work prefect as it should.  Power of 3.7 is non existent but I knew that going into it. I have not taken it off-road yet, but the ride otherwise is really really good. Everyone that has ridden in it says it rides nice. If I could do it all over I would go Alfa hands down. Man I hate dealing with people like that. I do see myself getting a Jeep JK in the future 
Any updates since getting the transmission fixed and all the front drivetrain from the AAA mishap? 

Any updates since getting the transmission fixed and all the front drivetrain from the AAA mishap? 
Well....... AAA denied everything, so after I gave up fighting them and my blood pressure came down I just ended up fixing the front myself.... kinda. Everything was fine until a week or so ago I notice gear oil on my driveway. Not sure why its leaking but it is. (The front Diff)  I still day dream about a Alfa or a jeep everyday. Hummer Flat tows great though 

Back