Hummer H3 info or opinions

NIKAL

Reaction score
Anyone own or use to own a Hummer H3? Any opinions or info about them? 

They seem to be pretty affordable for its capabilities, especially when comparing to Jeep. Parts look to be easily available being that it’s all GM. Not much aftermarket available, but not sure how much is needed? 

Looking for something that can be towed behind the RV, off road capable, yet still comfortable on the road. 

Try sending Don Parscale a message. He has one and really likes it. I don't know how far he takes it off road, though.

Anyone own or use to own a Hummer H3? Any opinions or info about them? 

They seem to be pretty affordable for its capabilities, especially when comparing to Jeep. Parts look to be easily available being that it’s all GM. Not much aftermarket available, but not sure how much is needed? 

Looking for something that can be towed behind the RV, off road capable, yet still comfortable on the road. 

This is funny, I was just reading up on the same subject. Subscribing to this thread....

I imagine you're already aware it's on the GMT355 platform best known in the US for the first-gen Colorado/Canyon.  While not a bad platform, it's not especially robust or desirable off road *in general* (think about how many first-gen Colorado/Canyons you see being used off road...).  That said, the H3 actually got some cool off road bits like a real low range and optional front and rear lockers (pretty unique in anything but a Wrangler Rubicon for their time).  There was even a package with a 4:1 low in the t-case, and 33"s along w/ the lockers.  I don't know much about the stick that was available in them, but if it's an auto it's going to be the 4L60E auto - which isn't exactly renowned for being a reliable trans.  They came with either a inline 5 (yes, 5... not 6) or a V8.  Obviously the V8 is the one to have, especially for your use case towing it behind the RV where fuel mileage isn't much of a concern.  The V8 was the LH8 IIRC, which is an aluminum block non-displacement on demand motor (so, that's good IMHO... IIRC they even had either the 799 or 243 heads which are some of the best cathedral port heads).  

It seems like the "good" ones (Alpha with the Offroad Adventure package) are just as much as a JKUR though.  I'd just get the JKUR at that point, though the "LS" in the H3 is a tempting improvement to the 3.8 or 3.6 V6 in the JKs (do NOT buy a 3.8 JK).  

-TJ

I definitely know I don’t want a 06 H3 as they had the 3.5 I5 and they had valve seat issues.  Read where Chevy fixed the problem and those engine with the valve problem. But I’d rather find a 2007 -2010 with the 3.7 and not deal with possible head issues. BTW the most you see are 06’s as that the year they made the most. 

One I was looking at happened to be in Colorado. Right year, low mileage, 3.7L, right color, had the Adventure package, which is lockers, 33’s extra skid plates etc. But after getting more detailed pictures, it was not in the shape I am looking for, or price. Plus the car fax showed an accident back in 2010. No airbag deployment. So not a deal breaker, but not worth going to Colorado for. 

Would like an Alfa with the 5.3 V8, as I know that engine, but those get harder to find with lower mileage and other options in a decent price that Im willing to spend. That’s why I think I would consider the 3.7 I5. But I don’t really know the 3.7 engine that well and was hoping a few on here might have or do own one.

I definitely know I don’t want a 06 H3 as they had the 3.5 I5 and they had valve seat issues.  Read where Chevy fixed the problem and those engine with the valve problem. But I’d rather find a 2007 -2010 with the 3.7 and not deal with possible head issues. BTW the most you see are 06’s as that the year they made the most. 

One I was looking at happened to be in Colorado. Right year, low mileage, 3.7L, right color, had the Adventure package, which is lockers, 33’s extra skid plates etc. But after getting more detailed pictures, it was not in the shape I am looking for, or price. Plus the car fax showed an accident back in 2010. No airbag deployment. So not a deal breaker, but not worth going to Colorado for. 

Would like an Alfa with the 5.3 V8, as I know that engine, but those get harder to find with lower mileage and other options in a decent price that Im willing to spend. That’s why I think I would consider the 3.7 I5. But I don’t really know the 3.7 engine that well and was hoping a few on here might have or do own one.

What's your budget?  If it was me, I'd really, REALLY try to go with a V8 version.  I have never driven any H3, but I have driven an automatic Colorado with the I5 (to be fair, IDK if it was the 3.5 or 3.7) and it wasn't exactly a rocket ship... and the H3 is a LOT heavier.  It seems like a decent H3 Alpha w/ the Offroad Adventure package might be had in the mid-20s.  

-TJ

I’‘ve done quite a bit of homework on the H3. Spoke with a small family run repair shop that I trust and have used over the years. Sad to say they are retiring and closing up by the end of the year 🥲 Steve told me that the 3.7 I5 is a good little engine. He said it won’t win races, it’s not a powerhouse, fuel mileage by today’s standers is not great. But overall it’s a good running engine with no major issues, that he has seen come through their shop. And a course we know the 5.3 v8 are good engines, but have their little issue too. 

Coincidently just today I dropped my truck off a MIT Driveline as I’m getting a new rear dif put in as the factory limited slip is plain wore out. I’ve got over 250K on my truck all original Powertrain. I mentioned the H3 to get their opinion. They said they have only seen a couple in the past 10-12 years come in their shop, so can’t give a fair observation. But said the only ones they have seen,  have not come in for broken parts or repairs, only mods. They are not big fans of the IRS front suspension as they don’t articulate like a solid axle for off road and these guys are mostly Jeep guys. Another guy in the shop pointed out that he did not like that it was built on the mid size Colorado frame, and it’s just beefed up. But then another guy asked him if he’s ever seen or heard about a tweaked or bent Hummer frame? He said no, but he thought they should have made a specific frame for it.

In their limited knowledge of working on the H3, but overall opinion. They said they would buy a Jeep, because it’s what they know, and it’s got tons of aftermarket support. But the Hummer H3 is a nicer road driving and for its year a more comfortable ride vs a Jeep of those years, and with some standard features Jeep did not offer in those years. But don’t expect to off road or wheel it like you could a Jeep. But for light to mid off road, and for the pricing out there it’s probably a decent choice if looking for used off road capable vehicle, in that era and in the $13-18k price range.

BTW they were not aware with only adjusting the front torsion bars, that a 35 inch tire fits and does not rub on the H3. He said that was surprising and they did not know that big of a tire would fit stock with no mods or CV issues. 

I’‘ve done quite a bit of homework on the H3. Spoke with a small family run repair shop that I trust and have used over the years. Sad to say they are retiring and closing up by the end of the year 🥲 Steve told me that the 3.7 I5 is a good little engine. He said it won’t win races, it’s not a powerhouse, fuel mileage by today’s standers is not great. But overall it’s a good running engine with no major issues, that he has seen come through their shop. And a course we know the 5.3 v8 are good engines, but have their little issue too. 

Coincidently just today I dropped my truck off a MIT Driveline as I’m getting a new rear dif put in as the factory limited slip is plain wore out. I’ve got over 250K on my truck all original Powertrain. I mentioned the H3 to get their opinion. They said they have only seen a couple in the past 10-12 years come in their shop, so can’t give a fair observation. But said the only ones they have seen,  have not come in for broken parts or repairs, only mods. They are not big fans of the IRS front suspension as they don’t articulate like a solid axle for off road and these guys are mostly Jeep guys. Another guy in the shop pointed out that he did not like that it was built on the mid size Colorado frame, and it’s just beefed up. But then another guy asked him if he’s ever seen or heard about a tweaked or bent Hummer frame? He said no, but he thought they should have made a specific frame for it.

In their limited knowledge of working on the H3, but overall opinion. They said they would buy a Jeep, because it’s what they know, and it’s got tons of aftermarket support. But the Hummer H3 is a nicer road driving and for its year a more comfortable ride vs a Jeep of those years, and with some standard features Jeep did not offer in those years. But don’t expect to off road or wheel it like you could a Jeep. But for light to mid off road, and for the pricing out there it’s probably a decent choice if looking for used off road capable vehicle, in that era and in the $13-18k price range.

BTW they were not aware with only adjusting the front torsion bars, that a 35 inch tire fits and does not rub on the H3. He said that was surprising and they did not know that big of a tire would fit stock with no mods or CV issues. 
In the $13-18k price range it'd be a great little off-roader.  Not a rock crawler, but I don't get the sense that's what you're going for.  You really can't get much in terms of a Wrangler for $13-18k right now.  Probably a non-Rubi TJ, or maaaaaaybe a higher mileage TJR at the top of that price range.  The H3 with the OR package will do just as much as a non-Rubi TJ despite being IFS, and it'll be much nicer on road or on milder trails.  

-TJ

Well, I pulled the trigger yesterday  2007. Had tow bar setup already, so that was a plus.

View attachment 15637
Awesome! Congrats! What features does it have? Base, Adventure, luxury, Alfa? What mileage? Where did you find it and how much? 

Are those 33’s? Looks like they adjusted the torsions to level it out. Tow bar already set up is very nice too. Anymore pictures to share? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! Congrats! What features does it have? Base, Adventure, luxury, Alfa? What mileage? Where did you find it and how much? 

Are those 33’s? Looks like they adjusted the torsions to level it out. Tow bar already set up is very nice too. 
So im not sure what package it is, but it has leather and premium sound. Yes had brand new 33s and fuel wheels, ARB roof rack w/8' awning, LED pods everywhere (not the biggest fan of them) but I'll leave them on. Has 11" touch screen radio w/car play & aftermarket alarm. Roadmaster tow bar kit w/wiring.  120k miles $13k found it in chino, ca.

A Alfa came up for sale on facebook in moreno valley for $18k I seen today w/150k miles.

So im not sure what package it is, but it has leather and premium sound. Yes had brand new 33s and fuel wheels, ARB roof rack w/8' awning, LED pods everywhere (not the biggest fan of them) but I'll leave them on. Has 11" touch screen radio w/car play & aftermarket alarm. Roadmaster tow bar kit w/wiring.  120k miles $13k found it in chino, ca.

A Alfa came up for sale on facebook in moreno valley for $18k I seen today w/150k miles.
$13k is a great deal! I wish I could find one like that for $13k, heck $15k for all that would be cool! If it’s got leather, then it’s got a Luxury package. From what I’ve read there were a few luxury packages offered. Leather, power seats and seat heaters, was the main part of it, but then you could get a better sounds system and sun roof were also part of that luxury package, but not all got them. 

Main way to tell if you got the adventure package would be looking for the rear locker switch on the dash. This red arrow is pointing to the electric locker switch. 
26237E65-9E0D-4D1B-AE0A-4DC2EAB49325.jpeg

You get other things with the adventure package, but the switch it the easiest way to figure it out. 

$13k is a great deal! I wish I could find one like that for $13k, heck $15k for all that would be cool! If it’s got leather, then it’s got a Luxury package. From what I’ve read there were a few luxury packages offered. Leather, power seats and seat heaters, was the main part of it, but then you could get a better sounds system and sun roof were also part of that luxury package, but not all got them. 

Main way to tell if you got the adventure package would be looking for the rear locker switch on the dash. This red arrow is pointing to the electric locker switch. 
View attachment 15743

You get other things with the adventure package, but the switch it the easiest way to figure it out. 
Its does not have that button.  Yes on the Leather, power seats and seat heaters and sunroof. Im happy with the purchase 😬

So I tried to buy this Alfa. He was asking $17k and we had spoke a few times, sent me more pictures etc. It was a fully loaded Alfa with Adventure package. Called him tonight to make arrangements to drive the 2 hours tomorrow to see and buy it, and he tells someone bought it this morning. Bummer as it had been for sale for over 4 weeks without much interest or only low ball offers. 

So now I’m back to looking and I think I only want an Alfa/Adventure which is going to make it that much harder to find! 

Well, I pulled the trigger yesterday  2007. Had tow bar setup already, so that was a plus.

View attachment 15637
@Dynamicdude Any updates on your Hummer H3? Now that you have had it for about 6 months, what do you think? How’s the power of the 3.7? How’s the ride? Have you pulled it behind the RV, or taken it off road? 

I'm still casually looking. Found exactly what I wanted a few months ago. 09 Alfa, Adventure package right around 100K miles. Went up to see it, liked it, was willing to buy it for asking price, but the son who was showing it to me said his dad was not home to sign the title. Yet he told me to come at that time?? I offered to leave a deposit. The kid says let me call my dad at work.  Dad said he will think about selling it? WTF? You put it up for sale, I drive an hour to come see it, your not there, I test drive it,  I want to buy it and now you will think about maybe selling it? 

I about lost my mind!  I guess he got cold feet or maybe was hoping no one was interested? I called back a few weeks later and the guy was no longer wanting to sell it, even though he was not driving it because of the 16mpg and price of gas. This is why he was wanting to sell it supposedly. Btw this was when gas was still $4. Maybe I need to call him now? Lol. 

@Dynamicdude Any updates on your Hummer H3? Now that you have had it for about 6 months, what do you think? How’s the power of the 3.7? How’s the ride? Have you pulled it behind the RV, or taken it off road? 

I'm still casually looking. Found exactly what I wanted a few months ago. 09 Alfa, Adventure package right around 100K miles. Went up to see it, liked it, was willing to buy it for asking price, but the son who was showing it to me said his dad was not home to sign the title. Yet he told me to come at that time?? I offered to leave a deposit. The kid says let me call my dad at work.  Dad said he will think about selling it? WTF? You put it up for sale, I drive an hour to come see it, your not there, I test drive it,  I want to buy it and now you will think about maybe selling it? 

I about lost my mind!  I guess he got cold feet or maybe was hoping no one was interested? I called back a few weeks later and the guy was no longer wanting to sell it, even though he was not driving it because of the 16mpg and price of gas. This is why he was wanting to sell it supposedly. Btw this was when gas was still $4. Maybe I need to call him now? Lol. 
Well overall I like my H3. The transmission did explode 2 months ago on my way to work. I called AAA told them its a 4WD all the time and will need a flatbed. I called for a ride to work and left it. Well that was a BIG mistake! From what I can tell tow driver put trans into neutral and left transfer case in gear and drug it up onto his bed. End result was damaging my from CVs and axles, took out front diff seals and mounting as well. AAA said it didnt happen left me for another $1,600 out of pocket in delco parts and a entire weekend to fix it myself. I have towed it behind my MH it work prefect as it should.  Power of 3.7 is non existent but I knew that going into it. I have not taken it off-road yet, but the ride otherwise is really really good. Everyone that has ridden in it says it rides nice. If I could do it all over I would go Alfa hands down. Man I hate dealing with people like that. I do see myself getting a Jeep JK in the future 

Back