How much fuel do you use?

madweazl

Reaction score
I need to grab some fuel jugs and was curious how much fuel you typically went through in a weekend? For those that haven't duned with me, I have a hard time sitting still; when everyone else stops for a beverage I always find something to jump off of or fart around and the throttle is more of an on/off switch while riding. 

SxS's hold about 10 gallons of fuel. The most I have ever put in was in the 7-gallon range.  That was not making the run from 13 to Pair-a Dice either.  Most runs we make are in the five-gallon range.  Most trips I bring 7/ day and my car is full when I arrive.  We seem to ride more on the morning run than the night run. 

Figure 5 for each time you would come back to camp on average and you should be fine.  

Pretty much the same: most rides eat a 5er. Rides x days x 5 = fuel needed for a trip. 

i always have the rzr full when i get there. i think the rzr is about 8 gallon tank. i normally bring 25 gallons with me each weekend. i dont have a fuel station on my trailer. only times i have gotten close to using it the longer 3 days weekends. i would rather come home with extra than worried about not having enough. if i have extra when i get home ill put in my daily car or if a trip is planned in the next 2 weeks i just save it. we normally do a really long ride one day that will go through most the tank. then some smaller rides that dont use too much and another decent ride sunday before packing up. ill fill up the rzr before i put it back in the trailer so its ready to go for the next trip. put some seafoam in the rzr tank if its going to sit for more than 2 weeks. 

Since I store at Dunes Edge my limitation is the amount of bed space available for the drive out there. Not sure if that would apply to you. 10 gallons a day would be sufficient for me, and would likely have some left over.

The Pro R is a gas hog and more so in the dunes.    If you are averaging 40 miles a day in the dunes I would figure 7 gallons a day. 

If you burn 5 gallons on a single ride in a sxs you're doing pretty good (nice log ride) - times that by how many rides you plan to take a day...and add 5 gallons to that number to be safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes am easy 5 gallons a ride in the pro r if you are having fun with the skinny pedal.  

Big rides like washes to Duners Diner, rip around buttercup and back, you better pack 3-ish gallons to get home.  

fyi, the rotopax 3 gallon fits perfectly in the bed behind the Polaris bed box.  Very secure and leak proof cans if they are placed appropriately.   

edit:  the pro r in the sand is lucky to get 80 miles on a tank under my foot. YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
bring extra and you still have yore smiley hahah  :hethan:

Yes am easy 5 gallons a ride in the pro r if you are having fun with the skinny pedal.  

Big rides like washes to Duners Diner, rip around buttercup and back, you better pack 3-ish gallons to get home.  

fyi, the rotopax 3 gallon fits perfectly in the bed behind the Polaris bed box.  Very secure and leak proof cans if they are placed appropriately.   

edit:  the pro r in the sand is lucky to get 80 miles on a tank under my foot. YMMV
Do they still sell gas down there?

Do they still sell gas down there?
Last season I do not recall seeing any fuel for sale there.   I know in the past they had race gas.   Easier to get a 3 gallon Rotopax and take it with you.

Mega and I did a ride from wash 13 through the dunes to Gecko.  Headed to Duners Diner and then over to Buttercup and ripped around and then back to camp.   I think it was 75 miles total.   If was a full tank and another 3 gallons from his rotopak to make it back for him.  My X3 I still had 1 or 2 bars left when we got back to camp.   

They have sales on the blemished  Rotapax

https://www.rotopax.com/products/3-gallon-gasoline-new?variant=43323077197978&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=20124757880&utm_term=|EAIaIQobChMIs_nSn_zehwMVMxGtBh1VkRjiEAQYAiABEgLouvD_BwE|agid|146878805257|adid|658342623970|ntwk|g|targetid|pla-2062582347052l|ocp|9112892|matchtype||dev|c&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs_nSn_zehwMVMxGtBh1VkRjiEAQYAiABEgLouvD_BwE

Last season I do not recall seeing any fuel for sale there.   I know in the past they had race gas.   Easier to get a 3 gallon Rotopax and take it with you.

Mega and I did a ride from wash 13 through the dunes to Gecko.  Headed to Duners Diner and then over to Buttercup and ripped around and then back to camp.   I think it was 75 miles total.   If was a full tank and another 3 gallons from his rotopak to make it back for him.  My X3 I still had 1 or 2 bars left when we got back to camp.   

They have sales on the blemished  Rotapax

https://www.rotopax.com/products/3-gallon-gasoline-new?variant=43323077197978&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=20124757880&utm_term=|EAIaIQobChMIs_nSn_zehwMVMxGtBh1VkRjiEAQYAiABEgLouvD_BwE|agid|146878805257|adid|658342623970|ntwk|g|targetid|pla-2062582347052l|ocp|9112892|matchtype||dev|c&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs_nSn_zehwMVMxGtBh1VkRjiEAQYAiABEgLouvD_BwE
I'd just be way to nervous to carry fuel. 

Is one of the reasons I went to a sxs. When I had my v8 car it wasn't unusual to burn 10-15 gallons of 91 a ride @ $5-6 a gallon, you do the CA. math. Since running an x3 for a season now I really can't believe how good these cars are on fuel mileage. Sure maybe a little slower from point A to B but being retired now it is pretty awesome. Maybe a 1/4 the fuel consumption I used to use .

Back