Headset intercom settings.

Jtmoney714

Reaction score
So at higher RPMs my motor will squelch the headsets in my car. If I turn up or down(whichever is the right way) the squelch to avoid that then I have to yell to set off the squelch to be able to talk. What’s the workaround for this?

Following, I seem to have the same problem. It’s worse when 4 passengers with 4 headsets hooked up. Not as big of an issue when just 2 of us 

I found with my buggy when I was running solo, I would seatbelt in my passenger headset & it was picking up the noise of the buckle & front end. I had to jack with all of the settings to get it to behave.  then I heard the engine through the headset & it was super clear what was happening. 

From then on, when I went solo, I unplugged it (it was right next to my head so easy.......).  no more jacking with settings.........

Bob

RFI from the engine. Either suppress it at the source and/or suppress it on the receiving end (intercom) with toroids. If I had to guess I’d guess that it’s coming in on the coax from the antenna. 

For me it is certainly a balancing act.

I have a similar problem. My car is a 4 seater and when someone is in the back, I cannot adjust the squelch enough to completely keep the engine from taking over the audio at high RPM. It is not RFI as was suggested in another post it is sound from the exhaust. I also unplug all other headsets when someone is not using them. 

The only thing I have found to help is to place the microphone super close to my mouth (it touches my lips) so I don't have to yell to open the intercom audio with the. 

RFI from the engine. Either suppress it at the source and/or suppress it on the receiving end (intercom) with toroids. If I had to guess I’d guess that it’s coming in on the coax from the antenna. 
Thanks for the suggestion, but these problems are not RFI. The intercom systems are voice activated (noise activated to be more specific) so when a user speaks into the microphone it opens the intercom audio and allows their voice to be heard by all headsets on that intercom. The squelch knob adjust the amount, or level of noise required to open the intercom circuit. Noisy V8 cars can make enough noise to be picked up by the users microphones and open that circuit even if no one is talking. It is a common problem.

Digital Speech Processor) is what you need to stop this. Its made to respond to speech not engine or wind nose. It can be added to your existing system. Rugged makes them. PCI probably does also.  

The radio and intercom are supposed to be wired directly to the battery and the antenna routed away from other power cables. Had a similar issue with my car years ago, took it to PCI amd they rerouted my antenna and hasn't been an issue since then.

I’m not talking about electrical noise for car to car stuff. But my headers literally set off the headsets and I have to listen to the motor loud as hell in my ears lol. I have mufflers too. The guys without mufflers have to be hating life. Someone mentioned the dsp thing. That maybe worth a try. I was just thinking I can’t be the only guy experiencing this so what is the fix. 

I’m not talking about electrical noise for car to car stuff. But my headers literally set off the headsets and I have to listen to the motor loud as hell in my ears lol. I have mufflers too. The guys without mufflers have to be hating life. Someone mentioned the dsp thing. That maybe worth a try. I was just thinking I can’t be the only guy experiencing this so what is the fix. 
I have the PCI with DSP and after spending the $800 in upgrade it didn't work. The intercom is still taken over by engine/exhaust noise at high RPM. 

How close do you keep your mic to your mouth?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the PCI with DSP and after spending the $800 in upgrade it didn't work. The intercom is still taken over by engine/exhaust noise at high RPM. 

How close do you keep your mic to your mouth?
Pretty close. Talking isn’t too difficult in normal situations. That’s a bummer about the dsp though. 

This is why I like having my intercom controls within close reach. Mine is on my center console right infront of my shifter. Super convenient. When I want to talk to my passengers i turn it all the way down, to where it is like an open mike. If we’re cruising it’ll be middle… when it’s shake n bake time, all the way up so the engine noise never cuts in. When I have the family in the car, I’m changing adjustments a lot. When it’s just me, it’s all the way up so the engine noise never cuts in. 

This is why I like having my intercom controls within close reach. Mine is on my center console right infront of my shifter. Super convenient. When I want to talk to my passengers i turn it all the way down, to where it is like an open mike. If we’re cruising it’ll be middle… when it’s shake n bake time, all the way up so the engine noise never cuts in. When I have the family in the car, I’m changing adjustments a lot. When it’s just me, it’s all the way up so the engine noise never cuts in. 
This is what I do, except for the cruising in the middle part. It's either full music, or open mic. On the rare occasion I have a passenger, I just tell them to tap my arm if they need me to stop or slow it down so they don't get sick.

That’s not a bad idea I guess. It’s not like we are chatting a bunch. 

I have the same issue when boost kicks in my car. I have to fine tune the dial each ride. Also keep the mouth piece almost on my lips. 

I have to turn my squelch down in my car when we're driving or it'll pick up engine and shock noise. I have the TRAX with DSP, windshield, blah, blah ,blah, and it's still an issue. My buddy has a Funco, same TRAX with no windshield and his squelch is all the way up with no issues. Annoying. 

I don’t want to hear my passengers. Interrupt my music. So I leave my squelch all the way down. 

Back