Gun collection info

L.R.S.

Reaction score
My step dad passed away in early December and his estate is being settled now.  He ran the gun range for the Sheriff's and CHP for the past 20 years and has a decent gun collection.  Nothing exotic, nothing illegal (but who knows in CA, it changes daily).  Browing, Colt, Ruger and Beretta of 22lr pistols and maybe 10 rifles, two 12 gauges, one brand new Glock 17 never fired, and a bolt action rifle (looks to be small caliber).

My step sisters are looking to get values on his guns before selling them.  I'm buying what I can and I've already made a deal on his gun safe, which I helped him move into his house about 30 years ago.  They are keeping one really old single shot rifle we pulled from the safe that has a hexagon barrel and the an inscription on the stock with my step dad's sisters name, Iowa, 1918.  Kinda cool.

Is there a reliable website for punching in the serial number to get the year/model of all the guns?  Or do I need to go to the manufacturers website and do them individually?  What's the best site to asses value?

Three of the 22lr's

20230202_154922[1].jpg

They are worth what they are selling for. check calguns.net search each model and you should see what peeps are asking, and what has sold and for what

collectors will want best pricing. Same with dealer (gotta make a profit) gotta find  the guys looking for clean ruger mk2 or browning buckmark for them or their kid. They pay best prices

Last edited by a moderator:
there is a gun bluebook online. gotta pay for it though if i recall. it was pretty acurrate when i used it years ago, who know about today though.

You can look on GunBroker for price ideas.  Somehow you can look to see what some guns actually sold for if they're interested and actually went to bid 

Some manufacturer sites will let you plug in serial #s.

Selling guns is a pain in the butt in CA.  But if you drop off for consignment, you will get ripped off.

We're all interested...   let's see some more pics. Unfortunately, most old guys just had 'old guy guns'.

there is a gun bluebook online. gotta pay for it though if i recall. it was pretty acurrate when i used it years ago, who know about today though.
I remember years ago talking to a buddy who was a collector and he had a hard copy of the gun 'blue book'. Look up make, model and year. Doubt there's anything super high value in this collection but I'd like as much info as I can get.

One gun I knew he owned was a S&W 40 cal with the 15rd magazine. I think they were standard police issue but got taken away and reissued with 9 or 10 rd mags. It was not in the safe so he may have gotten rid of it. Heard they're banned and can't be transferred even to immediate family. 

You can look on GunBroker for price ideas.  Somehow you can look to see what some guns actually sold for if they're interested and actually went to bid 

Some manufacturer sites will let you plug in serial #s.

Selling guns is a pain in the butt in CA.  But if you drop off for consignment, you will get ripped off.

We're all interested...   let's see some more pics. Unfortunately, most old guys just had 'old guy guns'.
Only have that one pic for now but I'll get more eventually. 

I remember years ago talking to a buddy who was a collector and he had a hard copy of the gun 'blue book'. Look up make, model and year. Doubt there's anything super high value in this collection but I'd like as much info as I can get.

One gun I knew he owned was a S&W 40 cal with the 15rd magazine. I think they were standard police issue but got taken away and reissued with 9 or 10 rd mags. It was not in the safe so he may have gotten rid of it. Heard they're banned and can't be transferred even to immediate family. 
15 round mags can be sold to LEO

Cabelas has used guns on their ‘gallery’. Thats a gauge for the range but not an exact value for yours if you can find a match on their website. Condition and market (what buyers will pay there as appose to some where else) will affect it one way or the other. 

Those .22 are exactly what @matt86m was looking for.

that ruger is the best .22 there is
Been told by a few people the the 22lr are really fun range guns. I bought all 4. Other one is a newer looking Beretta, no pics though. Going to get all the rifles tonight amd see of thensage is something my son and I can move with a proper furniture dolly. 4 Cement steps out of his house and 3 steps into mine. 

Some safes you can remove the door when its open. It makes it much easier to move.
Good call, need to check that. Door is 1/4" thick, heavier than I remember from moving it 30 years ago. 

Picked up my dad's gund tonight. 9 rifles total. Need to go through and sort them out. Two 12 gauge shotguns, one mini 14 Ruger .223/.556, three bolt actions, and a lever action. Turns out the Glock 19 pistol is a CO2 BB gun.

20230207_193440.jpg

At a glance of what's there, way less hassle to just keep them.  I don't think there's enough value there to deal with FFL's, postings, meeting up idiots, etc.  Give them to interested family members as keepsake firearms.

4 Cement steps out of his house and 3 steps into mine. 
See if someone around there rents Escalera stair climber hand trucks or a similar devise. I have one and it is the bees knees for getting heavy or awkward size things up and down stairs.

I may be interested in that remington semi shotgun or the mini-14

At a glance of what's there, way less hassle to just keep them.  I don't think there's enough value there to deal with FFL's, postings, meeting up idiots, etc.  Give them to interested family members as keepsake firearms.
Now that I have them my son and I can sit down and see exactly what they all are and decide what to sell. He'll want a few of his grandpa's guns and I'll keep a couple for myself. 

Back