GPS coordinate race in the dunes

Not a fan of it with everyone going at the same time.  Too much chance of rubbing, bumping, collisions and injury.  The adrenaline will overpower any good choices made by many. 

A timed run with one at a time is the best way to do this.

we have all talked about doing a point to point race in the dunes and how dangerous it would be and impossible to make it safe. Why not have some one pic a spot say near China wall as a starting point and have a popular easy to find ending place like sunset or ??  You could run it when ever you want, perhaps once a trip. just need to have a recording a device on. We could post our times/Video and you can do it as often as you like. For the average fast duner it may only be a 10 min stint. You could do it mid week, early in the morning or when ever. There is zero pressure … just post the time or better the video. You can pick your own line and everyone can do it. Even if you’re slow just to see. This tests your car, driving ability, navigating abilities and at your own pace and when you think it’s safe

thoughts?
I had this same idea a few months back after some crazy claims were made about average speed on a dune run. 

I heard someone say they average 60-65 through the dunes, I highly doubt that. 

I had this same idea a few months back after some crazy claims were made about average speed on a dune run. 

yeah i'd like to see that on a gps and a video  40mph average is fast

I think I said something close to that.  As a guess.

After seeing a GPS data track through an entire run, yeah, no.  Getting it average speed in the big stuff behind Olds on a smooth day was definitely moving, but not over an entire run.

I've heard things like that many times "we dune at 60+ all day 4th gear etc. etc. etc." then jumped in with that group to see 15-20 MPH most of the time.  In Idaho you can really carry some speed making a line out towards Devil's Dune kind of running between the main ridges like half-pipes.  Even there, you're not averaging 80+ like people say.  I've heard a lot of "we go 100+ all the way to Duner's Diner" too and never seen that to be true.  I have made some very, very fast runs down there but they still were more like a 60 average, running 80-100 in the open sections but having to slow significantly in others (and I was using GPS for this, in my Potter in 4th gear at 5k RPM+ nearly the whole way).  

_TJ

GPS averages are over rated. This was on my bike from 9:30-1100 in Orange County and riverside. Includes city driving and country road drive to my house.  It was just a cruise

C9C5A7C5-1092-4237-97C4-71DD6BE4AC00.jpeg

Back