Generator Mods - What have you done?

matt86m

Reaction score
Picked up this EU3000 from @RIDERED and wanted some wheels for it. Looked at the Honda wheel kit and a few others. Looked at a dolly from Harbor Freight then casters. Found some casters on Amazon (of course, where else?) for $40. Got 5'', all swivel and have brakes. Drilled out the bracket where the rubber feet were and mounted the threaded stem with a small spacer so the stem cleared the under side of the genny. All ready to roll into the garage, cargo trailer or where ever I need it.

Tell me, do I need one of the 3 prong plugs to close the loop for this to work with my motorhome?

image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had an old Generator that I used to haul out to the front of my truck & plug into the front of my trailer.  I bought some of these harbor freight wheels/tires, so I could drag it through the sand & it actually kind of rolled.  I also build a fold down handle that I could grab to drag it by.  it kept the Genny high enough that the sand blew under it & did not get all up in it.  it was kind of wide, but it made it stable while in the trailer. 

image.jpeg

You'll need a "bonded" plug for your generator to power your moho/rv.  (Connect the neutral and ground together.)

and I just ran a 30amp rv power cord to 30 amp 3 prong adapter. Worked fine never bonded anything, for years, and everyone in my camp had the same set up no bonding on grounds 
Then if you look at your coaches 120 electrical panel you will find that you have white wires and bare or green wires on the same terminal strip and that is fine, however lots of the newer coaches with solar and other fancy parts will have a seperate terminal strips for the white wires and the grounds.  The connection point of the two wires ( required) would be inside the generator or in your house ( when you are on shore power) However the smaller generators do not have this inside of them. So you need to do it.  I didn't believe it until one of the new coaches in our camp was having an issue and couldn't charge.  Nobody believed me until I did it then I was hero of the day.

Then if you look at your coaches 120 electrical panel you will find that you have white wires and bare or green wires on the same terminal strip and that is fine, however lots of the newer coaches with solar and other fancy parts will have a seperate terminal strips for the white wires and the grounds.  The connection point of the two wires ( required) would be inside the generator or in your house ( when you are on shore power) However the smaller generators do not have this inside of them. So you need to do it.  I didn't believe it until one of the new coaches in our camp was having an issue and couldn't charge.  Nobody believed me until I did it then I was hero of the day.
 Some coaches that have power management systems will not transfer over to your gen set ( shore power) unless neutral and ground are bonded at your source power.

so why all the external gennys?  Do you not use the onboard or not have solar?  

My on board is propane and it will suck it down fast, hence a Honda 2K, works great and runs a long time on 1 gallon of gas.

Onboard is noisier and way less fuel efficient is my reason.  I usually only use a gallon or 2 a day with mine running most of the time we're back.  

I have a bunch of cribbing blocks I made with 2x4s screwed together, like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Only with shittier carpentry.  Useful for jacking things up, jackstands, and holding your generator up out of the sand.  The narrow casters will eventually dig themselves unevenly into the sand and set off your low oil shutoff.

Back