Funco Sandrail goes up in flames

Chingon619

Reaction score
Seen this on the Facebook and was wondering if anyone had any insight on why exactly it happened. It scares the living daylights out of me to end up in this situation and so glad no one was hurt. He comments that if his kids were in there they wouldn't have made it! Damn. 

Sorry Facebook link isn't working. 

Screenshot_20240214-203522_Facebook.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fire is scary, at KOH my kids were driving my 96 Bronco when a PS line blew and sprayed on the headers. It instantly caught fire. Thankfully our friends behind them were super quick with the fire extinguisher and saved the day. It ended up being caused by crappy quality PS hoses. I can tell you all my off road stuff is getting fire suppression systems on them and min of 2 hand held fire extinguishers.  

sad to see one go up in flames, but toys are just $; hope no one got hurt....

This is one of the Admin on this site, not really sure they wanted it posted,  

It was Sqauatcher car said he heard a pop and his crew told him he was on fire 

Last edited by a moderator:
Fire is scary, at KOH my kids were driving my 96 Bronco when a PS line blew and sprayed on the headers. It instantly caught fire. Thankfully our friends behind them were super quick with the fire extinguisher and saved the day. It ended up being caused by crappy quality PS hoses. I can tell you all my off road stuff is getting fire suppression systems on them and min of 2 hand held fire extinguishers.  
Had same thing happen to my ‘94 ranger prerunner in the early 2000s had a power steering leak; a support bracket broke and hit the starter solenoid and the sparks instantly lit the little bit of leaking ps fluid on my wiring harness on fire. Fortunately there wasnt much fluid leak; but my harness was toast

Dang it! Fire is a scary thing in these toys. Glad to hear everyone was okay though. 

Do Funcos use fuel cells with a bladder or just aluminum welded tank ? 

Saw that on FB, so glad his family was not in danger and nobody hurt.

A Fire suppression system, more fire extinguishers and a fire wall between the motor and back seats were the recommended upgrades in the future to help minimize risks like this. Not sure if the fuel tank was in question, don't recall what caused the fire, something popped?

But the main thing I thought when i read about it was +1 for car to car radio communication and not riding alone. His buddies radioing him the car was on fire was the hero if there could be any in that situation, things happen so fast.

Sorry to read about this, but glad that no one was hurt.

Back