Fuel Line - Push Lock vs Compression Fitting

FOG

Reaction score
I’m replacing the fuel lines on my new to me sand car. It’s about 20 years old and the fuel lines probably haven’t been replaced.
Currently have AN push lock fittings. Should I keep the fittings and just replace the lines with new push lock hose? Or should I buy all new AN compression fittings and hose?

Pics might help, just to verify?

Sounds like your on the low pressure side?

Reactions: FOG
I use push lock on everything except brakes. Never an issue. As long as the fitting is in good shape, cut the hose off and re use. So much easier then the old style compression fittings..

• Thanks
Pics might help, just to verify?

Sounds like your on the low pressure side?
Currently has push lock before and after the fuel pump. So both low and high pressure.

Attachments

• 74A5F116-FC3A-47A6-8080-F679B38A28A2.jpeg
    74A5F116-FC3A-47A6-8080-F679B38A28A2.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 26
Re use fittings. Not like they “wear”. But get the tool to remove the lines from the fittings. If u cut the line to remove it could score the fitting and possibly leak.
My 2 cents.

Just for reference, push lock hose and fittings are rated at 250 psi. As per Russell mfg. Parker rate theirs at 350. Summit brand is 250 psi. Aeroquip at 250 psi as well.... works fine for fuel injection.

This might be long sorry ... Aluminum fittings like anything else Aluminum will work harden and crack over time - I personally don't take risks with fuel (fire) also today's fuels contain more ethanol - the Blue and red Anodized fittings are generally not suitable for e85 and will corrode even with E15 - thats why American made fittings are Hard anodized now and most are black - the Chinesium, stuff is mostly not - I would never use it for fuel. If you decide to keep yopur old fittings as @lincaster said be careful cutting the hose off, if you score the barbs they will leak and leaky fuel goes Boom ...

If you even plan on using e85 you should just step up to Graphited PTFE lines while changing. If not today's US made Push lok is safe with all fuels and is great (its easy) for the low pressure side and if you are worried using Oeiter clamps looks nice and works great - one caution is to match brands when you can - in push lok its not that critical, but if you decide to use Braided (I would suggest nylon braided for ease of assembly and it would stratch anything it touches - brands should not be crossed - or you may have issues after its installed (like leaks and lines blowing off). Good Push lok is find under 75lbs (if you clamp it) so NA LS engines running 60/58 or 43Lbs aere easy to plumb with push lok. Push lok is also nice because its simple and simple means less chance of failure.

I have uised all the brands and I would not usxe anything but XRP today- US made consistently good . Fragola is assembled in the US and I have had mixed results with it bit lots of people use it . Brown and Miller is good if you buy lines pre assembled. Summit, Jegs, Speedway redhores, and most ebay and amazon all Chinesium, all made by Golden Bloom in the people's republic
the Chinesium, stuff is Pre 1948 AN style tapered seal which can seep over time and always reduces the inner size of the fitting (restriction) and your push lok actually flows more - Newer US stuff uses Nipple and Cutter style that US Military moved to after 1948 because it was better.
Also the "swivel seal style fittings ( the kind you can turn after install) use and o ring internally to seal - and well the cheap stuiff is known to leak over time

Push lok hose, Earl's XRP, Aeroquip are best IMO, Parker hose is OK not great for todays fuel

All Great points from @Fullthrottleguy when it comes to the hose i like the Aeroquip hose that looks like spiral wrapped Hydraulic hose, so far i have it last a long time,
Getting back to the Fittings i have used cheap fittings like Racetronix to test them out on the dry sump, the are a one and done, after you tighten them they never work the same,
The XRP I have on my car came from my first car build and they still work great, i am going to change everything out to the xrp brand on the dry sump.

The fittings on my car when I bought it were about 18 years old. They could have probably been reused but I felt more comfortable replacing them since the hoses were already being replaced as well. Make sure you buy them from a reputable place and not Amazon/ebay. I usually go through G&J in Ontario or summit racing.

Have you considered using crimped fittings? Best hose/fitting connection to be had.

• Thanks
If you decide to replace old lines with just new hose . I would buy the new hose from same manufacture as the old fittings .

• Thanks
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the feedback and fine advice.
Last time that I did fuel lines, about 12 years ago, I used XRP AN compression fittings with braided stainless steel hose. This time I think I will go the same route with the XRP fittings but may change to the nylon braided hose from Earl’s.

Last time that I did fuel lines, about 12 years ago, I used XRP AN compression fittings with braided stainless steel hose. This time I think I will go the same route with the XRP fittings but may change to the nylon braided hose from Earl’s.
Nylon is definitely the way to go. Lighter, doesn’t destroy everything it touches, and non-conductive. I was welding my buggy once upon a time and the ground clamp popped off and landed on my brake line. Stopped welding to a wasted line and a small fire. Luckily, it wasn’t a fuel line…

• Thanks

They make black cloth braided fuel line and black AN fittings now. Looks awesome. JMS Racing stocks it all. Looks awesome. 👍🏼

• Thanks
XRP HS79 with a CSM outer is a great hose, but expensive.

• Thanks
Back