Fuel leakage from cap

Jammer75

Reaction score
Any good tips on reducing or eliminating fuel out of the cap when filled up. There’s a new cap on it and it’s the exact same as old cap. 

63661B7F-6F21-4192-9D02-DF38A7AD01AC.jpeg

did you check for burrs on the tank.. I would definitely get that fixed.... might need a new tank. 

Is the cap vented? Some caps have a very tiny hole for venting. 
If the cap isn’t vented check your vent line to the tank. If clogged it may be building pressure in the tank.  

If the cap isn’t vented check your vent line to the tank. If clogged it may be building pressure in the tank.  
It’s a vented cap and only happens when tank is full leaks when hills climbing or side hilling. Once gas level goes down it doesn’t do it. Was wondering if there was anything other than maybe putting and extension hose on it clamped to the fuel spout on the tank and then up higher and mounted to the frame higher with a cap…???

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s a vented cap and only happens when tank is full leaks when hills climbing or side hilling. Once gas level goes down it doesn’t do it. Was wondering if there was anything other than maybe putting and extension hose on it clamped to the fuel spout on the tank and then up higher and mounted to the frame higher with a cap…???
The safest way is as Alper said and use a non-vented cap. 
When running the vent line run it from the top of one side of the tank up as high as possible then across to the other side of the tank and then down below the tank. 
Doing this will prevent fuel from coming out of the tank if you end up on either side or upside down. 

X2   Perfectly assessed pressure needs to go somewhere

there is usually a seal in the cap as well. Make sure its in good condition

I just did this today on my car. I was hitting a flar spot on the gat / throttle . I pulled my tank out and cleaned it. There was a gas hose in there from a 5 gallon gas can and a piece of the fuel tank from when it was drilled for the fuel gauge. 

i cleaned the tank and took the filler neck to The man with the mullet. He welded a brake fitting and told me to loop a lineup and run it down.

got it all back together and changed the fuel filter too…….my line is leaking so tomorrow I am gonna pull it apart snd fix the fitting

pain in the AZZ 

here is a pic of the vent / the new gas cap had a rubber gasket that sealed much tighter than the cork one / tank needs to breath so hopefully this helps and its safer if you roll and fuel wont leak from the cap

226DE71A-AA3E-4749-BA65-507FBFCD72A7.jpeg

76BB160F-A092-46B1-8D73-39314598582C.jpeg

354198D5-A7A9-4B22-B98D-581EBDFBED87.jpeg

7762C0FF-DDED-4D1D-9AA3-D2583AF84490.jpeg

744472A3-0C23-456D-8117-87F36BBD8F6A.jpeg

57776560-6B5C-4E44-9CB3-16ADDC3C93F8.jpeg

I just did this today on my car. I was hitting a flar spot on the gat / throttle . I pulled my tank out and cleaned it. There was a gas hose in there from a 5 gallon gas can and a piece of the fuel tank from when it was drilled for the fuel gauge. 

i cleaned the tank and took the filler neck to The man with the mullet. He welded a brake fitting and told me to loop a lineup and run it down.

got it all back together and changed the fuel filter too…….my line is leaking so tomorrow I am gonna pull it apart snd fix the fitting

pain in the AZZ 

here is a pic of the vent / the new gas cap had a rubber gasket that sealed much tighter than the cork one / tank needs to breath so hopefully this helps and its safer if you roll and fuel wont leak from the cap
Why is it leaking?

Why is it leaking?
May be the washer on the fitting / new filter came with a couple

everything is tight fit under there / new day tomorrow. Had to walk away tonight. I am gonna take it apart and check the hose and fittings and re tighten. Tank is solid - its a fitting 

was a pita tonight ( I was over it.

ill update it tomorrow. Was great to cleann everything  up and add the vent. 

Running a vent line, it should go to up the roof then across to opposite side of the car and then down below car, making a big loop. This way no gas can leak on you, passengers or motor if the car were to roll over.

Temporary fix put a plastic bag over it. Poke a couple small holes and put the cap back on. 

Or use a plastic water bottle. Cut a circle shape to fit inside the cap.

Found the problem and replaced both fuel lines/ got it all PAINFULLY back together and buttoned up

no leaks and no more hesitation at all

motor RIPs!!!!!

now gotta clean up the mess / shower and a cold frosty with my buddies :poule:

View attachment 50349
How old were the lines and what fuel do you run?  You saved a major leak and fire if the other lines looked like that!  

How old were the lines and what fuel do you run?  You saved a major leak and fire if the other lines looked like that!  
Probably 19 years / I replaced a bunch of it. Peace of mind / been doing stuff every year. This summer I an gonna do a bunch of stuff I wasn’t able to do this year

no more chit clogging the bung in the tank

fuel vent is properly vented on tank and it RIPS !!!!!!

pain in thecazz but worth doing for sure!

:poule:

Back