Fuel filters 3.5L Honda

Thanks again. I watched a video on AN fittings and have a decent idea how they work. Can PTFE hose ends be changed out? If yes, should i reuse the existing collar because its already seated into the hose? 

Plan was to buy a 90* adapter. But ideally it would fit better if i could change out that hose end to a 45* or 90* AN-8. 

Screenshot_20211015-112419_Gallery.jpg

Got everything together and the car wont start on its own, but it did fire up for 3 seconds on starting fluid. I thought maybe its a bad fuel pressure regulator. The old unit does hold vacuum but we bought a new one anyway. 

Its was around $120 and friends in glamis last weekend are saying its probably not the pressure regulator. Most people like Brian Saxton were saying its likely bad injectors from sitting too long with old cali ethanol treated gasoline. (stabil was often used.....car still sat for 5 years)

What would you guys do next? Is it possible to have a bad fuel pressure regulator that holds vacuum? When i shake the old regulator i can hear a little piece jiggling inside. Not sure if that proves the unit is not seized up internally. I dont own a fuel pressure tester. Happy to rent one from vato zone if thats the next step. 

I take the injectors out and turn over, there is a little needle in them. Take a small punch and push the needle, it will stick after sitting for some time. Simple fix.

Maybe try some seafoam. But in reality, if it really sat for 5 years, I'd just pull the injectors, clean them to check that box off that they are not the problem.

Got today to figure this thing out. Kiddos gonna be bummed if its not ready for tday trip. 

New regulator didnt work. Just like everyone predicted. I did notice the dash display has what i think is fuel pressure. As the motor cranks it goes from 1 to around 20. Didnt start. Tried a squirt of starting fluid and it worked. Stunk up the garage im airing it out now. 

Is that normal for every single injector to completely fail? We wonder why its not even coughing and stuttering.

Any brand of injectors to avoid? We usually go to Orileys for Ford diesel parts. Where should we go for Honda parts? 

Thanks a bunch for all the advice. 

I had a few clogged injectors once. I pulled the fuel rail off with the injectors intact. Removed the injector wiring harness. Jumped the fuel pump hot. Then I took a mini 12v battery and connected it to an injector 1 at a time. You’ll know which ones are firing or that are clogged. I was able to clean out the clogged ones. 

Got today to figure this thing out. Kiddos gonna be bummed if its not ready for tday trip. 

New regulator didnt work. Just like everyone predicted. I did notice the dash display has what i think is fuel pressure. As the motor cranks it goes from 1 to around 20. Didnt start. Tried a squirt of starting fluid and it worked. Stunk up the garage im airing it out now. 

Is that normal for every single injector to completely fail? We wonder why its not even coughing and stuttering.

Any brand of injectors to avoid? We usually go to Orileys for Ford diesel parts. Where should we go for Honda parts? 

Thanks a bunch for all the advice. 
Have you confirmed you have fuel pressure to the fuel rail? I believe injectors need a certain amount of PSI to fire. I have my regulator set to around 52 PSI.

I would suggest like @Jtmoney714 suggested to hook up power and try to clean them as well. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not confirm fuel pressure. Got one side out. Its a little different than the video i watched that used a clip. Do these twist and release? I think she is going to buy new injectors today instead of trying to clean them. Orileys has some in stock.

The right side fuel rail is covered in oily sand. The right side manifold gasket is definitely leaking. But where is the oil coming from? Im guessing crankcase vent brings up oily air droplets? Maybe the oil level was overfilled at some point? Looks to have been leaking for a long time. The coat of sand is thick. 

Video i watched said to use oil on the injector orings. Motor oil? I normally use rubber safe grease on orings. That might be potential to clog the tiny injector opening though. 

123695.jpeg

I did not confirm fuel pressure. Got one side out. Its a little different than the video i watched that used a clip. Do these twist and release? I think she is going to buy new injectors today instead of trying to clean them. Orileys has some in stock.

The right side fuel rail is covered in oily sand. The right side manifold gasket is definitely leaking. But where is the oil coming from? Im guessing crankcase vent brings up oily air droplets? Maybe the oil level was overfilled at some point? Looks to have been leaking for a long time. The coat of sand is thick. 

Video i watched said to use oil on the injector orings. Motor oil? I normally use rubber safe grease on orings. That might be potential to clog the tiny injector opening though. 

View attachment 18754
I just shoot with a little wd40. Even in spray area.

Ah nice. Found another vid and see the injector pulls straight out. No clip is used. Fuel rail holds it down. 

Couldnt believe the video said to test with fuel pressure before pushing the injectors back in. Without a retaining clip i would have thought the injector would shoot off.

Yes thanks to all for the help. Got it running just in time for their Tday trip to the high desert. Good spot for the kids to learn and cruise it around. Im told it ran great. Front shock is leaking. CV boots leaking. 

Will need to look into the clutch as well. Had a hard time loading into the toyhauler. Took me several attempts. I would be slipping the clutch, climbing the ramp, get to the top and its like the clutch would just fade. Would try to add some throttle but its stiff and wants to jump to 3000rmp the second you breath on it. Felt like i would also let the clutch out a tiny bit more and still start falling backwards. Looks to be a hydraulic. I rinsed off the caps with water but never ended up checking level. That was dumb. Would have taken 60 seconds. Although i was a bit worried about removing the caps and destroying the rubber seal that im assuming is under there. At least i know its somewhat sealed in its current form for the first trip out. 

Back