Freightliner coolant header tank not available - had to make one

azyxzer

Reaction score
I have a 2008 Fleetwood Providence 39R with a Freightliner chassis. I got home from a recent trip and noticed that there was a seep coming from the coolant header tank. The back end of it is exposed to the sun and the plastic takes a beating. I did some reading up on it and found out that you have to cut the plywood in the floor of the closet to get it out. I did that and pulled it out and called Freightliner and found out that they are unavailable and no estimate on when they will be available. Poked around on the web and found that you can get all kinds of them except this one. New price is $130 if they were available. Found one used one at an RV junkyard in Kentucky for $300. Pictures looked really good and I was going to buy it but when I called the guy said they wouldn't be sending me the one in the photos, and the one they would be sending was old and yellowed like mine.

I gave up and made one from 1/8" aluminum. All of the bungs and the radiator cap neck were about $130, and I had to make one for the coolant level sensor. Then I paid a guy $200 to weld it up. It fit OK but I didn't think about the sight glass I put on it interfering with the P/S reservoir. I had to make a spacer for the reservoir to make it clear. Finally done and installed and no leaks (so far anyway). I used 1/2x2 channel iron to make a frame around the hole in the floor for the piece of plywood that I cut out to sit on.

This ended up being a lot more time and money than I was expecting. I guess the supply chain is still screwed up. I know there are lots of rigs out there that use this same tank, wondering if anyone else has run into the same problem.

20221009_101433.jpg

20221009_084612.jpg

20221008_103621.jpg

20221008_103628.jpg

20221008_103604.jpg

20221009_093726.jpg

20221008_121345.jpg

Great job. I did mine last year. I was able to pick it up at freightliner in Fontana. Luckily my closet floor is removable which made it a bit easier, but still a pain to replace. I have a 2007 Fleetwood Providence 39j.  I agree with Realbadlarry that you could make and sell these especially with the shortage. It is a common problem on these freightliner chassis motorhomes.  

Looks great. Did you do this recently? I remember a thread a while ago on irv2.com where a guy had the same issue and made his own tank.

Thanks all. Just got it done and installed yesterday. So far so good. Unlike the TCM problem at least there was a way to deal with this. Usually I'm not so lucky...

It just so happened that I got a SWAG Offroad finger brake recently. I'm still learning how to use it but it came in very handy for this project. 

Nice upgrade!

I'm curious what the replacement tank from Freightliner would be if it was available. Same plastic tank or metal? Our 05 Winnebago is on a Freightliner side radiator chassis and originally had a plastic tank that was prone to failure as well. The replacement tank from Freightliner is completely different now and is a round steel tank. Obviously this one would not work in your application with a rear radiator setup.

9794A894-2D47-4C2F-96AA-84C3ECB5A907.jpeg

9B8F3A94-117B-4199-B4FB-762E1EFB47B1.jpeg

I think the plastic one was going to be $130 if one was available. I wish they made a steel replacement for mine but I couldn't find one (plastic or steel), so I ended up making this one.

Nice job!  I just replaced my failing tank (09 Fleetwood Excursion 40X).  Located 3 but due to inventory issues it took me 3 different companies before one was able to deliver.  If anyone else is looking in a pinch I went on freightliner's website and looked up dealers nationwide.  Started at the top and called them one by one, dealer number 4 on the list had one which was in Colorado.  I felt lucky.  I plan to make an aluminum one as well just didn't have the time due to dune trips and being buried in client work.  I've also run into our Horton Fan clutch being on a national backorder.  I think mine is faulty.  Fan seems to run way too hard ALL the time.  Considered direct drive flex fan but I still haven't decided which route to go.

Back