Ford F-250 Death Wobble

Blackdmax

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations on shops for "death wobble" fix on a Ford F-250.  LA/OC border area.  #askingforafriend as I have a Chevy!

had a 2002 excursion that had that, wholly molly when that happened you thought you were going to die.  we added extra metal supporting the front radius rod bushing brackets and a huge steering stabilizer shock, my tires were huge and that played a role in making it worse

You might need to provide a few more details.  Like year, 2x4/4x4, suspension mods, etc...

Looking for recommendations on shops for "death wobble" fix on a Ford F-250.  LA/OC border area.  #askingforafriend as I have a Chevy!
SoCal Supertrucks in Berdoo... but honestly any alignment shop can handle it. It's a caster adjustment and get a better steering stabilizer system. I went to a dual fox setup from 4WP, had the alignment done correctly and never had another issue, that was over 200k miles ago. FWIW, the Chevy straight axle trucks had the same issue, Dodge also.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he's talking about the late model fords. Some people have had trouble with near new trucks with a horrible death wobble around 65-70mph. One of my customers had a 2020 f250 4x4 with 20kmi doing it. Dealer changed a bunch of parts but don't think they got it fixed right away. Haven't heard if they got it fixed or if he's still dealing with it 

I’ve had death wobble in every jeep i’ve owned and my 2500 dodge. Dodge was scary as hell!

never had death wobble in the 12 years i’ve had f250/350 or with excursion.

its all your suspension joints. Many times track bar

All straight axle vehicles have potential “death wobble” issue. As mentioned most likely track bar and alignment. Factory track bars usually have a ball joint on one end and rubber bushing on the other of these parts west out you’re going to have death wobble. I replaced my factory track bar with a Carli one on my 2015 but I also did a leveling 2.5” lift. 

Im on a forum for the 99-02 models. Ive seen a couple guys mention they checked all their steering and suspension components chasing down the wobble. Turns out to be a belt coming loose inside the tire. Jack it up and spin it. Some guys said it was hard to see. They placed their hand nice and steady next to the rotating tire to feel the wobble.

^^^ I would try this. I had an E350 4x4 Ford van with a straight axle and years ago it picked up an unpredictable (and terrifying) death wobble. I couldn't find anything wrong with the suspension but eventually I put new tires on it and it never happened again. You might try rotating front to back and see if that changes anything.

You might need to provide a few more details.  Like year, 2x4/4x4, suspension mods, etc...
2016 4x4, it looks to have maybe a 2.5" lift.   It was inherited from his BIL, who had since passed.   I've identified some of the end links with play, mainly the steering tie rod, but he just wants a shop to repair, recommend and fix. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Have someone move the steering back and forth while you watch the steering box, pitman arm, drag link, track bar and tie rod for loose joints or movement. Chances are if you have bad death wobble, you’ll see one of these moving/popping/whatever while the rest of the suspension is solid. 

If it’s not that, grab an 18” pry bar from Harbor Freight and yank one suspension links to see if the bushings are shot. 

Caster is tricky. I did my own alignment and didnt buy the little tool to test caster. My best guess driving is that im close to zero. I could feel the difference to how it was previously set. Its not sketchy in straight lines, but i definitely went more towards the city driving specs.  I figure it will help with tire wear being a daily driver. If the truck only drove to glamis and back it would be a mistake since 99% of driving is on the freeway. 

My suspension components had so much play the alignment shop wouldnt even do the job. I was like ok screw this. Bought the suspension parts and installed them. Then set toe and camber at home. Which i would have to do anyway before driving to the alignment shop. Instead of getting it "close enough"...i took the extra time to get it really close. Used a digital angle finder to set the camber. Posted on FB years ago. Good ole Tank took the time to tell me how stupid the idea was. Ah....memories. 

2016 4x4, it looks to have maybe a 2.5" lift.   It was inherited from his BIL, who had since passed.   I've identified some of the end links with play, mainly the steering tie rod, but he just wants a shop to repair, recommend and fix. 
Most death wobble are pretty simple to fix, I bet if you check the Caster, it is off, 

If the caster is off and the inclination is wrong this will spiral out of control, Guys in racing make 6 digits setting up track bars, the track bar angle will highly effect caster when the truck is in motion, 

Now add improper steering angle to track bar angle and it modify this effect even worse,  

I dont think i have seen a Factory Ford Truck with factory suspension and wheel settings have a death wobble, 

All lift kits are not the same, get a quality FULL kit for the front and set the caster correctly and you will have no issues. 

Have someone move the steering back and forth while you watch the steering box, pitman arm, drag link, track bar and tie rod for loose joints or movement. Chances are if you have bad death wobble, you’ll see one of these moving/popping/whatever while the rest of the suspension is solid. 

If it’s not that, grab an 18” pry bar from Harbor Freight and yank one suspension links to see if the bushings are shot. 
This will not get a death wobble on a ford, this ^^^ will feel like a front end that floats or pushes but not a death wobble,  The lift kit is wrong, or miss matched parts on the lift 

For example if the track bar, or track bar drop does not equal the steering arm geometry you can get a wondering front end,  the Caster is where i would start, 

put up pictures of the lift that is on your truck 

Caster is tricky. I did my own alignment and didnt buy the little tool to test caster. My best guess driving is that im close to zero. I could feel the difference to how it was previously set. Its not sketchy in straight lines, but i definitely went more towards the city driving specs.  I figure it will help with tire wear being a daily driver. If the truck only drove to glamis and back it would be a mistake since 99% of driving is on the freeway. 

My suspension components had so much play the alignment shop wouldnt even do the job. I was like ok screw this. Bought the suspension parts and installed them. Then set toe and camber at home. Which i would have to do anyway before driving to the alignment shop. Instead of getting it "close enough"...i took the extra time to get it really close. Used a digital angle finder to set the camber. Posted on FB years ago. Good ole Tank took the time to tell me how stupid the idea was. Ah....memories. 
If the Camber is off on the Ford, then it might have a broken ball joint, even with a broken ball joint, i never had a wobble, just eat tires quickly, 

I got a 2002. Went to an alignment shop with really good reviews. I remember talking with the owner guy he was an Asian dude. El Camino in San Clemente. I get the feeling he built his business on honesty. I liked him and wanted to give him my business even though he was $20-40 more than other places. He told me you cant adjust caster on the 99-02 Ford. Also said my ball joints were shot and he cant do an alignment on my truck. 

What still bothers me to this day is the way he looked at me when he said you cant adjust caster on the 99-02. There was this weird pause where he just looked at me. Was i supposed to reply? I could be reenacting the situation wrong in my head. All i know is after leaving the shop i started researching how to do ball joints on a 2002 ford. I also bought the eccentric caster bushing. That gives the 99-02 Ford the ability to adjust caster. Why didnt my Asian buddy tell me this? Maybe he didnt know? Looking back he told me my ball joints we jacked. He could fix everything for X amount. Maybe its not in his best interest to tell me you can buy a little top bushing to adjust camber and caster. 

In a way i always pictured myself going back for them to check my settings. I made sure to put the eccentric bushings equal on both sides regarding caster. But i never tested caster. The way it feels is much more towards city driving. No biggie because im always doing 65mph in the second lane over. 

Oh forgot to say you can buy different bushing for the 99-02 Ford. The alignment shop is supposed to measure everything. Then figure out what degree bushing will correct the situation back to spec. Its a second example of how you can adjust caster on the 99-02.

Back