For Christ’s Sake! Idiots with Trailers

200.gif

Remember the good old day's when your grand parents would take the Lincoln Continental  down to U-haul and they would chain a metal bar with a trailer hitch to the rear bumper, rent you what ever trailer you wanted. The only requirement they had was you thru on a couple of mirrors with a couple of turn buckles and some bungee's and you were good to go across country.

You would also see the same exact set up, not U-haul orange of course attached to some 74 Cadillac  Coupe Coupe that scrapped every driveway and gutter along the way, towing a 40 Air Stream

coupe.jpgHitch.jpg

We used to tow horse trailers loaded behind station wagons all of the time.  Trailers back then were design with less tongue weight for sure.  If anyone has towed a trailer that wasn't balanced right, seems that 50-55 mph speed is when things start getting wild.  In the 1970's, you towed slower due to the vehicle and the roads (fewer freeways), lot's of two lane roads.

So I saw a YouTube video of a couple who rolled their travel trailer……a 23ish footer towed by a damn Nissan Frontier with no weight distribution set up!

I could not believe a dealer would sell them that rig and let them leave without a WD hitch….let alone grossly over the trucks payload and towing rating. 

it made me wonder how many unsafe rigs are on the road, so today I made it a point to look. Between the half tons pulling 30 foot travel trailers and the I kid you not 4Runner pulling a 20 foot toy hauler only 1 rig had a distribution set up. A Ram 2500 pulling a single axle Coleman. So 6 rigs total and the only one running a distribution hitch probably didn’t need it. 

I am surprise we aren’t seeing more crashes. Honestly I can’t believe dealerships would let these off the lot like this. 
My WW 5th wheel got used, did not even own a truck at the time, had to have them deliver it,   you so booshy, what is a dealership,  

Can you educate me here?  
Tire companies put out inflation charts for their tires. You take the axle weight, do some, what is very basic math for most people and the chart tells you how much air to put in each tire. It's so easy even a truck driver can do it. :toofunny:

Here's a Michelin one.

Screenshot_20210929-104340_Drive.jpg

This is even easier if you run Yokohama tires. It has a picture of a truck and you just enter the information in the boxes next to the picture. They even have a vedio to show you how to put the air in the tire.  :poke:

https://www.yokohamatruck.com/tire-tools/inflation-pressure-calculator

Hope that helps.  :pixie:  

I have a friend....he has a trailer made w/mobile home axles and tires.  At 100#, they will carry a MH.  He was moving the other day....He was only putting about a ton on it and it was bouncing like crazy.  When he was headed back for another load...the tires were like solid rubber, and it was bouncing all over the place.  When he carries his raft and river stuff, he runs about 32#.

For me....32# when empty....or wahtever the label in your door-jamb says and max pressure listed on the sidewall w/a max load.  This goes for your car and truck also.

Remember the good old day's when your grand parents would take the Lincoln Continental  down to U-haul and they would chain a metal bar with a trailer hitch to the rear bumper, rent you what ever trailer you wanted. The only requirement they had was you thru on a couple of mirrors with a couple of turn buckles and some bungee's and you were good to go across country.

You would also see the same exact set up, not U-haul orange of course attached to some 74 Cadillac  Coupe Coupe that scrapped every driveway and gutter along the way, towing a 40 Air Stream

View attachment 15081View attachment 15082
ya, but in all fairness that 70's Caddy weighed the same as today's 3500 Dually :lol:  

I just can't believe how many single rear 2500's I see towing MASSIVE 40'+ 5th wheels. I get it, probably their truck is their daily driver (just assuming), but seems nuts to me.. the trucks look like matchbox cars.

I bent the bumper on my 1500 Suburban towing my fully loaded sand car (box).. it was stout, probably 10,000lbs (loaded), so I was WAAAYY.. over.. couldn't even get the Suburban out of 2nd gear .. was dumb, moved to my 3500 Dually.. I swear towing even 'the max' 7,500lbs if I'm correct with the Burb, I was smoking brakes and the disks. The 1500 has NO stopping power.

I'm overkill with my set up, but I love the Dually, .. feels so safe.. one other thing to consider is your wheelbase. Does a 8' foot long bed have a longer wheel base than a 6' foot short bed? .. just like how the longer wheel base off-road toys do better over whoops (like bumps), my 3500 is longer (than my Suburban) and feels safer cause of that too IMO.

My $.02.

abc

heather-thomas-bikini-swimsuit-poster_1_d6640ebe4ce7fc707c46af9edd9413a6.jpg

CARPET 1.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just can't believe how many single rear 2500's I see towing MASSIVE 40'+ 5th wheels. I get it, probably their truck is their daily driver (just assuming), but seems nuts to me.. the trucks look like matchbox cars.

I bent the bumper on my 1500 Suburban towing my fully loaded sand car (box).. it was stout, probably 10,000lbs (loaded), so I was WAAAYY.. over.. couldn't even get the Suburban out of 2nd gear .. was dumb, moved to my 3500 Dually.. I swear towing even 'the max' 7,500lbs if I'm correct with the Burb, I was smoking brakes and the disks. The 1500 has NO stopping power.

I'm overkill with my set up, but I love the Dually, .. feels so safe.. one other thing to consider is your wheelbase. Does a 8' foot long bed have a longer wheel base than a 6' foot short bed? .. just like how the longer wheel base off-road toys do better over whoops (like bumps), my 3500 is longer (than my Suburban) and feels safer cause of that too IMO.

My $.02.

abc

View attachment 15243

View attachment 15244
Wheelbase makes a huge difference and yes your dually with a  8' bed crew cab wheel base is longer then your old burb. 

I went from my 01 Dodge with the short box and just the extended cab to this

3560.jpeg

and it went from. I have to get rid of either the truck or trailer to no problems. All I added was about 18" of wheelbase.  While the Dodge could pull it no problem and stopping wasn't even scary. What was scary as soon as I hit the open highway anything over 55mph was white knuckle and anytime a big rig passed me going that slow would make that trailer start swinging back and forth like crazy.  

Wheelbase makes a huge difference and yes your dually with a  8' bed crew cab wheel base is longer then your old burb. 

View attachment 15245

and it went from. I have to get rid of either the truck or trailer to no problems. All I added was about 18" of wheelbase.  While the Dodge could pull it no problem and stopping wasn't even scary. What was scary as soon as I hit the open highway anything over 55mph was white knuckle and anytime a big rig passed me going that slow would make that trailer start swinging back and forth like crazy.  
One of the first rolled vehicles I repaired was a k5 blazer that had been towing a 28' travel trailer. Had sway control and load bars. Just no wheel base, lost control and rolled everything.

View attachment 15245

Nice rig 🙂 

I knew a guy who drove his 24 foot boot and trailer through a drive through.  did $10k of damage, yes i do know him but dont let him drive any of my vehicles

he just thought it would follow him through

One of the first rolled vehicles I repaired was a k5 blazer that had been towing a 28' travel trailer. Had sway control and load bars. Just no wheel base, lost control and rolled everything.
An old friend use to tow a 23-24 travel trailer (not a toy house) with a Bronco. He rolled it into a ditch. Tail wagging the dog. He bought a F250 CC and never looked back.

Back