Flatbed trailer maintenance and upgrades

@L.R.S.  Which solar panel are you using?  Do you have a charge controller connected?  How has it held up, and I assume you are still using the Optima Blue Top?  (Mainly for the Winch?)

Best way is to coat all sides of the wood once it is cut to fit then give the top another coat once installed...Ask how I know...also Home Depot has this nasty smelling wood preservative/termite proof sealer that does an excellent job then finish coat the top with paint,etc.

i know this is super old but this post just popped back up.... so when i did my trailer i got a bunch of nice straight flat boards. and coated them with a couple coats of water seal (i think i used thompson or something like that) before putting on the trailer let them dry in the garage, well that warped the boards. made putting them on the trailer much harder and not lined up as well since they were no longer straight and flat. i since got a toy hauler so i rarely even use the flat bed anymore, i should redo it, but not worried about it since i rarely use the trailer. but next time ill put the boards on first then coat it. 

i know this is super old but this post just popped back up.... so when i did my trailer i got a bunch of nice straight flat boards. and coated them with a couple coats of water seal (i think i used thompson or something like that) before putting on the trailer let them dry in the garage, well that warped the boards. made putting them on the trailer much harder and not lined up as well since they were no longer straight and flat. i since got a toy hauler so i rarely even use the flat bed anymore, i should redo it, but not worried about it since i rarely use the trailer. but next time ill put the boards on first then coat it. 
They warp because they're not fully dry when you buy them.  I just used a "farm jack" to shove them into place.

They warp because they're not fully dry when you buy them.  I just used a "farm jack" to shove them into place.
i got them on the trailer just doesnt look nearly as clean as LRS's work. it looks it was my first time doing a deck on a trailer because it was. but it works have not had an issue with them. the rzr is not at any risk when its on the trailer. 

i got them on the trailer just doesnt look nearly as clean as LRS's work. it looks it was my first time doing a deck on a trailer because it was. but it works have not had an issue with them. the rzr is not at any risk when its on the trailer. 
In the end, it’s a flatbed. You probably did a better job than the manufacturer anyway :biggrin:

Back