External generator won't connect

Mac

Reaction score
I'm a newb here with motorhomes.  I tried to power my motorhome with my Honda 2000.  The generator works fine.  Motorhome works fine on external 50 Amp service and with on-board generator. 

Does the Honda 2000 not put out enough power to latch the relay?  I'm using the 30amp outlet and plug.  Is there away to set it up differently or adjust the motorhome relay if that's the issue?

Cut an extension cord about 6” at the plug. Tie the white and green wire together and plug into the extra 110 receptacle at the Honda 2000. 

If my batteries were low my Honda 2000 would blow its fuse due to my MoHo charging pulling to many amps to charge the batteries. I would have to use the onboard Genny to get some charge in them and then switch back. Needless to say that program sucked and I sold the 2000. lol

In bonding the nuetral and ground, does the adapter plug not do this already?

In bonding the nuetral and ground, does the adapter plug not do this already?
No. Most power sources are from standard residential or commercial buildings that are bonded. Inverter generators are not internally bonded. 

If my batteries were low my Honda 2000 would blow its fuse due to my MoHo charging pulling to many amps to charge the batteries. I would have to use the onboard Genny to get some charge in them and then switch back. Needless to say that program sucked and I sold the 2000. lol
You have to put your charger setting to 5amps. Even that doesn’t work sometimes. I sold my 2000 also because of that. 

The Honda 2000 single 115V 15Amp plug will not work on a newer 50 Amp service....especially if you have an inverter system running a residential system etc. 

The new Honda 2200 Companion with 30 amp RV plug will work. 

I picked up the new Yamaha EF2200iS from High Point Power Sports at the Off-Road Show in Pomona. The Yamaha had a few extra features over the Honda and the price was just too good of a deal to pass up and had the 30 Amp RV connection. 

Haven't tried it on my new 5th wheel but everything I've read it should not be an issue. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My last DP wouldn't run much on a honda 2200 (doesn't put out 30a).  Went to a 4000 and it runs everything better.  I run the fridge 100% of the time off the gen and don't even use propane except the stove and heater.  My 4000 is kinda loud though so I shut it down around 9 pm.  I wish someone made a 4000w that would run for 14 hours on a tank and be as quiet as a Honda 1000.

Back