Electric power steering questions

Ganzo

Reaction score
Hey guys so is anyone here using electric power steering? im having issues that i keep frying the ecu for the power steering. any ideas? also, should i be using the automatic, basic, ir advanced eps controller? this is on a baja bug. im pretty sure i kept burning thru ecu because of low battery

did you use the eps controller? because i guess thats what decides how much assistance you are getting right? 

Yes. This was what came with the unit. Mine was either on or off as far as assistance from what I could tell.

wow i wish mine were that simple lol. i have the saturn vue power steering so i doubt that it will work without eps controller

wow i wish mine were that simple lol. i have the saturn vue power steering so i doubt that it will work without eps controller
Yes, very simple. Unit was one from a supplier of sand car parts. Only issue ever was after repainting frame I had a bad ground and lost operation one day. I was headed home as I had become such a wimp there was no way I was going to dune without power steering.

I have EPS on my 1969 Jeep and my son just had a 400watt sealed EPS installed on his Tatum Sand Demon.  My Jeep EPS was from Harvey and the Tatum's is from Kartek.  Both have been trouble free.

I run the saturn kit in my car. I've had my setup for 6 or so years and have only had to replace the unit once. The one time it did cook itself, was i believe due to me shorting it out while welding on the car. I make sure now to unplug it anytime I weld on it.

Mine is grounded to an external ground terminal that comes direct from the battery, and the power side comes from my master kill switch which comes direct from the battery. 

I have noticed that if voltage drops too low it cuts out, typically when I have to crank the car for a long time trying to get it started when it's been sitting. I either turn the knob off to reset it and turn it back up, or I have breaker switches to reset the system and also protect it. 

so anyone here using the automating eps controller?

I have EPS on my 1969 Jeep and my son just had a 400watt sealed EPS installed on his Tatum Sand Demon.  My Jeep EPS was from Harvey and the Tatum's is from Kartek.  Both have been trouble free.
How does your son like the EPS versus the tatum steering rack system? 

Any one use EPS in a big car with 12.5 -17 Fronts?  

If I make the switch I get rid of a ton of hardware and hoses.... But worry about the mass of the car (Black Widow) and the Big fronts destroying the EPS .

R

I'm running a $150 offerup special from a 2014 Kia Soul. It was the entire steering column including ignition key. Was gonna get fancy but used just the EPS. Working flawless. 

If I make the switch I get rid of a ton of hardware and hoses.... But worry about the mass of the car (Black Widow) and the Big fronts destroying the EPS .

R
@r3meyer is running eps with 12.50-17 on a sand limo monster cruiser

R
Yes I am in my Monster Cruiser.  I think this is my 3rd or 4th season on it?  My buddy also built the last SCU before Don sold the company and went against the grain using the same kit on that Cuda 4 seat. Both work great.  

I am running Parkers rack up and the SCU got a Howe rack.

Yes I am in my Monster Cruiser.  I think this is my 3rd or 4th season on it?  My buddy also built the last SCU before Don sold the company and went against the grain using the same kit on that Cuda 4 seat. Both work great.  

I am running Parkers rack up and the SCU got a Howe rack.
SO what unit is in the Monster Cruiser?  I'm not Familiar with "Parkers rack up"

EPS aftermarket kits range from 400 to 600 watts.  I really want to make sure I have an EPS that doesn't grenade in the twisties.  Some of the ruts from the big cars are deep enough to swallow a car LOL.  

SO what unit is in the Monster Cruiser?  I'm not Familiar with "Parkers rack up"

EPS aftermarket kits range from 400 to 600 watts.  I really want to make sure I have an EPS that doesn't grenade in the twisties.  Some of the ruts from the big cars are deep enough to swallow a car LOL.  
I had eps with 35” Baja pros for several years with no hiccups. 

Back