EcoBoost - love it? Hate it? Would you buy a used one?

RideSand

Reaction score
Hey all. I will try to keep this short and to the point.

Looking at an Expedition (or a Navigator if one pops up) for my wife. I wanted one with the 5.0 V8 but quickly realized they went from the 5.4 to the EcoBoost with no 5.0 option ever. I still cant believe that to be true, but it sure seems to be.... Anyways, I know the EcoBoost can be a good motor, but I also know there were a few things to watch for and a few things you could do to try and prevent some of the bigger issues. I dont know what those things are, but believe that they surround the turbos. 

Anyone in here have an EcoBoost or know them well that can shed some light on what I would be getting in to, what I should look for (shopping used from about 2013 on), what I should and should not worry about? We were going back and forth between an Expedition and an F-150 (mostly for the 5.0 option) but I think the Exped EL or MAX is the way to go for us. I have a 1 ton, we dont need another truck, but could use the space of the SUV for sure, and like that it can still tow our small boat and haul more than just the four of us around if needed. She currently drives an Edge. Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just switched my 2021 F150 with 5.0 for 2022 with 3.5 EB. I like the drivability of the EB better than the 5.0. The EB makes instant torque and gets to speed effortlessly. I think the only advantage the 5.0 had was 70-100mph it seemed to pull harder (might just be the better engine sound). Towing I felt the 5.0 needed to keep in the higher RMP range vs the EB just pulled hard all the time. Just got back from a round trip to SLC towing a 16' box trailer. I set the CC at 80mph (where legal) and pulled every grade at 80pmh without any issue. The only down side was at 75-80 mph the EB was getting around 9 MPG, good thing it has 36 gallon tank.

IMO the only way the 5.0 beats the EB is if you SC it. I did love that V8 sound though. 

I have had two Eco Boost with no problems, the first one was a 2013 3.5 Eco Boost, sold it to my son and it is running strong at 150k miles, my current one is a 2019 Raptor with the Eco Boost, zero issues.

Just switched my 2021 F150 with 5.0 for 2022 with 3.5 EB. I like the drivability of the EB better than the 5.0. The EB makes instant torque and gets to speed effortlessly. I think the only advantage the 5.0 had was 70-100mph it seemed to pull harder (might just be the better engine sound). Towing I felt the 5.0 needed to keep in the higher RMP range vs the EB just pulled hard all the time. Just got back from a round trip to SLC towing a 16' box trailer. I set the CC at 80mph (where legal) and pulled every grade at 80pmh without any issue. The only down side was at 75-80 mph the EB was getting around 9 MPG, good thing it has 36 gallon tank.

IMO the only way the 5.0 beats the EB is if you SC it. I did love that V8 sound though. 
Good to know its a ripper. I like the 5.0 because it just seems to work. My mom has a 2014 and we both love it. I just dont know much abiut the EB and dont have any buddies with any, so Im happy to have your input on owning both 

I have had two Eco Boost with no problems, the first one was a 2013 3.5 Eco Boost, sold it to my son and it is running strong at 150k miles, my current one is a 2019 Raptor with the Eco Boost, zero issues.
Also go to know, because I am looking at the earlier ones. Is the 2013 the truck or the Expedition?

Ecoboost is a great motor.   I am on my 3rd F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost.   My first Ecoboost 2013 the only issue was a spark plug at 75,000 miles.  No issues with my second Ecoboost. Sold that truck with about 80,000 miles on it.  My current 2018 has 95,000 miles.  Only issue is the cam phaser causes a rattle on start up, which started about 5,000 miles ago.  Ford has a fix, but will not do a recall.  I am getting it fixed.

I would look at 2018 Expedition, if it is in your price range.  The reason is they went to a 10 speed transmission.  The 10 speed transmission is super nice.   

Ecoboost is a great motor.   I am on my 3rd F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost.   My first Ecoboost 2013 the only issue was a spark plug at 75,000 miles.  No issues with my second Ecoboost. Sold that truck with about 80,000 miles on it.  My current 2018 has 95,000 miles.  Only issue is the cam phaser causes a rattle on start up, which started about 5,000 miles ago.  Ford has a fix, but will not do a recall.  I am getting it fixed.

I would look at 2018 Expedition, if it is in your price range.  The reason is they went to a 10 speed transmission.  The 10 speed transmission is super nice.   
That would be nice. Its the best looking for sure, but we are going to cap out under $30k 

That would be nice. Its the best looking for sure, but we are going to cap out under $30k 
The 6 speed transmission is really good.  Fuel mileage between the 6 speed and 10 speed is the same.  

By the way with my first two Ecoboost I towed my 24' toyhauler.  Fuel mileage sucked, but the motor was relatively quiet even though it was doing some work.  It pulled my trailer up the grades way better than my V8 F150. 

one of the guys that worked for me bought one when they first came out (in a pickup).  he still has it & has been very happy with it.  he towed a small 15 to 17' enclosed trailer with it & a little 2 seat VW buggy, and he said it towed fine.  He now has >130K on it (mostly freeway non-towing miles)

What would you consider high milage on these guys? Looking at one thats just under 100k, one around 130k, and another sweet one thats at 170k....

My next door neighbor has 2018 F-150 with the Eco Boost motor and that truck has been rock solid for him and he loves it.

He has almost 100k miles on it and it has only been in for oil change and tires!

Absolutely zero maintenance with it.

Best would be a 2017+ model since you get the 2 fuel systems to prevent intake coking from the direct-injection only models (require periodic cleaning of the intake ports). Also get the 10 speed (which is nice) and more power (no one complains about that).

Like all Fords: don't try to get maximum mileage out of the oil.  Just change it.  Too many small orifices to piss off with old oil.  I change mine annually, or when the minder hits 50%, whichever comes first.

I've towed with ours (2022) twice now.  Power/torque for daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaays.  Spun the tires through an intersection at Big Bear being dumb with my Jeep/flatbed on the back and a bunch of camping gear in the bed and never needed more than 2500rpm to climb that bitch of a hill up there.  Fuel mileage lifetime has been 17, but the wife's commute is 2 miles to the school on local roads, so longer commutes would likely yield better mileage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best would be a 2017+ model since you get the 2 fuel systems to prevent intake coking from the direct-injection only models (require periodic cleaning of the intake ports). Also get the 10 speed (which is nice) and more power (no one complains about that).

Like all Fords: don't try to get maximum mileage out of the oil.  Just change it.  Too many small orifices to piss off with old oil.  I change mine annually, or when the minder hits 50%, whichever comes first.

I've towed with ours (2022) twice now.  Power/torque for daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaays.  Spun the tires through an intersection at Big Bear being dumb with my Jeep/flatbed on the back and a bunch of camping gear in the bed and never needed more than 2500rpm to climb that bitch of a hill up there.  Fuel mileage lifetime has been 17, but the wife's commute is 2 miles to the school on local roads, so longer commutes would likely yield better mileage.
My mileage averages 18.5 between city and highway.  

OP - also look for one with the bigger fuel tank (36 gallon).  That was a game changer when towing and a wallet empter when filling up.  LOL!

We are looking for an EL or a MAX and I would assume those come with the bigger tank, but will dig into that for sure!

My mileage averages 18.5 between city and highway.  

OP - also look for one with the bigger fuel tank (36 gallon).  That was a game changer when towing and a wallet empter when filling up.  LOL!
Yep.  We have the max tow package which comes with the rear locker and 36g tank.  Need fuel maybe once every 3 weeks with her "commute".

Yep.  We have the max tow package which comes with the rear locker and 36g tank.  Need fuel maybe once every 3 weeks with her "commute".
Not stoked on fuel but shes not getting the greatest right now, and an Exped will get better than my truck, which is the current family wagon when we go anywhere together, be it to dinner or on road trips. I have a small commuter truck that will get close to 50mpg when its back on the road, so maybe that will even things out haha. We live in the boondocks, so fuel consumption isnt new. Doesnt mean its easy!

I loved my 3.5 RB, hated the POS 10spd trans that was mated to it... that ended up getting the truck bought back

Back