Dominic Turbo Build on DD

J Alper

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Finished up Doms Car with a Single Turbo, motor, LS 445 88MM turbo dual waist gate, into Carb style intake on E90 26lbs boost, with a Holley HP 

We made the remote coils on the CNC plasma and all piping stainless 

IMG_6609.JPG

IMG_6748.JPG

IMG_6741.JPG

IMG_6746.JPG

IMG_6745.JPG

IMG_6744.JPG

IMG_6742.JPG

IMG_6748.JPG

I noticed on the turbo setup you are not running an intercooler. Does not running one hinder any performance? If it does is it very minimal? 

I noticed on the turbo setup you are not running an intercooler. Does not running one hinder any performance? If it does is it very minimal? 
its on e90 fuel.. intercooler not really needed im sure.

It performs a little better when the Air is cool, with E90 when the air gets hot it will not detonate, but will loose power, 

It performs a little better when the Air is cool, with E90 when the air gets hot it will not detonate, but will loose power, 
Thank you for the explanation.

You gotta post some videos of it running or on the dyno.

Last edited by a moderator:
V8's dont get me excited, but this one looks Sick!!! very nice packaging, super tight! super clean!!

the only saving grace of "not" having an intercooler is that this thing will make so much power you couldn't keep your foot in it long enough to sustain 26psi

26psi is making a super ton of heat and i am surprised there isnt an intercooler but then reread above for explanation ^^^^

intake temps go up exponentially with boost, im guessing air temps at that boost level are in the 300F degrees at that pressure, ouch

but if it works... then run it cause it looks awesome

I would say that air filter cant flow anywhere near what that motor is going to need

looks SBA.   Air filter looks small and right by the headers.   Wouldn't be better to have a 5 in intake tube mounted where the heat isn't? I know a bunch of armchair tuners.   LOL.  Cant wait to see you drag this with your car.   Yes we all want Video of it.   Love the color too. 

I will have to post some Vids, it was faster than the Redline 454-twin turbo tall deck,   Dom mostly keeps it around 12lb-15lbs  The 445 with Frankenstein heads, make big power 

this is a 10.8-1 compression so super snappy out of the hole,  it make a boxed arm DD dual sport lift the front end like a extreme eco II, 

ran it twice on 26lbs was undrivable,  at 15lbs it made 160 on the air temp with 55 degrees ambient,  at 80 degrees ambient it was around 180, after 5 passes down the drags at Dumont it was around 220 degrees,  at 220-240 degrees  if felt more like 5lbs of boost,  

After all the bugs worked out, Next step is a Dry Sump and later a water to Air Cooler,  like the Holley with the Tick Cooler, 

With the 445CI- on High compression, there is no turbo Lag,  for fuel, it is from VP, it is race E85 tested out to E90, Las Vegas is really Dry so it does not pull in very much water into the Fuel,   Monthes of fab work and rewiring the car for the Holley,  also wired in a Scatter button for fun at the drags,  

We not sure what we are doing on the air cleaner, we change it every trip,   this turbo has some beef to it,  @Squatcher intakes are a 4'' and look really big, this filter is actually a 6'' intake hole 8'' round 8'' long down to 6'' tip,   bigger air cleaners always better, but not small as one would think,  

Exhaust pipe is a pie cut with a 5.5'' outlet tube,  

What is crazy is this motor wrapped up is as loud as 416 with a camp, just crazy, 

ran it twice on 26lbs was undrivable,  at 15lbs it made 160 on the air temp with 55 degrees ambient,  at 80 degrees ambient it was around 180, after 5 passes down the drags at Dumont it was around 220 degrees,  at 220-240 degrees  if felt more like 5lbs of boost,  

After all the bugs worked out, Next step is a Dry Sump and later a water to Air Cooler,  like the Holley with the Tick Cooler, 
#1  thats what i figured  LOL

#2  thats a great upgrade!

V8's dont get me excited, but this one looks Sick!!! very nice packaging, super tight! super clean!!

the only saving grace of "not" having an intercooler is that this thing will make so much power you couldn't keep your foot in it long enough to sustain 26psi

26psi is making a super ton of heat and i am surprised there isnt an intercooler but then reread above for explanation ^^^^

intake temps go up exponentially with boost, im guessing air temps at that boost level are in the 300F degrees at that pressure, ouch

but if it works... then run it cause it looks awesome

I would say that air filter cant flow anywhere near what that motor is going to need
Density suffers for sure, but the associated quantities of E90 no doubt evap-o-cool those temps down to reasonable.  

maybe holley low or mid ram with a shearer fab air to water combo on top?

Density suffers for sure, but the associated quantities of E90 no doubt evap-o-cool those temps down to reasonable.  
yes, but unfortunately the fuel doesn't mix with air super hot air until 2" before it enters the combustion chamber.  not sure how fast 300 degrees can go down in 2" with the quantity of hot air that's moving around in there?

yes, but unfortunately the fuel doesn't mix with air super hot air until 2" before it enters the combustion chamber.  not sure how fast 300 degrees can go down in 2" with the quantity of hot air that's moving around in there?
It's not cooling the air by contact like an intercooler, but evaporation.  DI engines cool the intake charge and there's 0" before it enters the combustion chamber... :biggrin:

SAE has a couple of good articles on it here:

https://www.sae.org/publications/technical-papers/content/2012-01-1275/

These clips were taken from your article

#1   The superior charge cooling in DI compared to PFI for the same fuel resulted in pushing knock onset limits to higher in-cylinder maximum pressures.

#2     Knock onset is used as a diagnostic of charge cooling.

#3      Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) modeling confirmed that intake air temperature indeed has a significant effect of on how much charge cooling is realized.

So that is a great article, my thoughts

#1 it clearly stated that DI is far superior to charge cooling than port injection.  the motor we are talking about in this thread doesnt have the advantages of DI where the cool fuel is injected directly into the chamber.  PFI  mixes the two before it enters and actually raises the fuel temp by the hot air and is less advantages.  you see the results as the DI motor exhibited less knock tendencies compared to the  PFI.   i agree DI has an advantage as it doesnt mix with the hot air first. The DI system also runs at insane fuel pressures so the evaporation process is enhanced over PFI  this is more the reason for better cooling than the "0" inches from combustion chamber argument

#2 that test is brilliant and even more brings home the reason that you talking about DI being better cause it is "0" inches away shows the advantage of DI.......

#3 clearly the hotter the charge (and 26psi is super hot)  has a significant effect on charge cooling (with any fuel)

Back