Does anyone have experience with buying a new construction manufactured or modular home?

I looked into these for a property I have, over $200 a square foot. I’m waiting for prices to drop and build it myself at a target of $90 a square foot. 
Yeah, it looks like base model pricing for a well built manufactured is $100 sq/ft. But a nice upgraded home is double that. You have Kit custom up by you that builds some nice homes. 

I looked years ago at doing this, out west of Phoenix before it ever was built up.

I know at the time, the manufacturer that seemed best IMHO (that was available in AZ) was Silvercrest.

https://www.silvercrest.com/

Like I said though, this was years ago - I have no idea now?

They surely were not "cheap" but you could tell that too when you walked in compared to the normal, run of the mill, next to the free way mobile home units.

IIRC, Jimmy Miller's parents (of Jimmy & Kelly...lol) bought one for their property outside Yuma - but I could be completely wrong on that.

Definitely lots of research and time to find the right builder for you.
Silvercrest out of fairly local to me San Jacinto is a brand that stands out so far. Kit custom home builders out of Idaho also seems to build a high quality home. 

I am listing a Manufacturer home for $750,000 in a couple of weeks.  1800 sq ft, I would say they appreciate just fine

22865 Vista Del Agua, Wildomar, CA 92595 - realtor.com®
I'm curious how well the home does being a manufactured. First one I've seen with a tile roof. Is that for fire resistance?

You mentioned putting it on a foundation which is a good thing. In many areas, banks will not give you a loan if you don't have a foundation. Even if you don't need a loan, it could reduce your buyer pool when time comes for resale if someone can't get a loan. 
Great point. I hadn't considered the foundation with regards to resale. 

I understand trying to keep it a low profile and I understand "bypassing" local/county rules.  Just a couple comments/questions.  What does the drainage look like in the area?  Have you checked to see if you are in a flood plain?  8" might be cutting it a little close.  Yes, as you raise it, you will either have to bring in dirt or some other material to help match the foundation and grade around the house.  ALSO, if you are thinking of just stealing dirt, IE grading extra dirt around your property to make that work, it can lead to issues with simple permits with the county later down the road, as they like to monitor previous aerial mapping and then ding you for everything on a, lets say, a wall or gate permit or septic or propane or whatever cant be included in the modular building.  

The reasons I ask is so that you dont back yourself into a corner.  Im working with a client right now on county land outside of Phoenix.  Had a fence permit.  Decided to construct a block wall.  Added some lights.  Brought in some connexes, also poured a little foundation.  Now they are trying to get permits for a house.  Block wall not permited, lights not permited, size of connexes not permited, same with foundation.  Its a mess and they are talking about jsut selling the property WITH the issues cause they dont want to deal with it.
I'm actually not wanting to stay under the radar regarding permits for things. I'd rather suck it up and pay now and not have to worry about the tax man or resale at a later date. I wanted to keep the home as low as possible because if I stay in it till I'm elderly, I want as few steps to deal with as possible.  Drainage is excellent but haven't gotten as far as investigating the flood plain. It's in the foothills so lots of slope but there is a U shaped hill behind the pad that can potentially funnel lots of water through. Great points on the unpermitted projects. It's always a good reminder just to pay the man sometimes. 

A long time ago, one of my wife's friends bought a modular home and we stayed with them for a week. I was very impressed with the fit and finish and the price. It was just over 2,000 sft with a very large kitchen and a huge master suite, with a walk in closet, a huge bathroom and a whirlpool tub big enough for two. They had solar tube skylights in the master bath, the hallway and in the kitchen. Her husband showed me the house was so airtight, you couldn't slam the front door. It would get within a couple of inches of the frame and slow down and stop just before the jam.

If you can get in touch with Tim Mesic, he's an expert on all of the different brands on the market, he could tell you which ones are the best and which to stay away from.
Thanks for the tip regarding Tim Mesic. I'll give it a shot. 

We have some friends who bought a “cabin” up in Big Bear. It was a modular type home. If I were to guess it was a mid range quality modular house. It looked nice, but somethings looked a little on the lower tier of quality. Reminded me of the quality of the modular houses at Hidden Shores in Yuma. Not the same floorplans as it was more of a real house, with porch and front door, detached garage. But it was a vacation get a way home, not lived in everyday so it was fine for what it was used for. 

They sold it a few years ago as they were not using it, and they made money. 

Back