Do you have to wear a helmet with a Rzr Pro R

I always wore a helmet in my sand car cause I figured I would wreck and I have seen folks hit the cage with their head.. I could lean over and set my head on the frame, but I'm short.

Here's something else to ponder, a decade ago, dude tosses his Buckshot, no helmet, but the shocks 'exploded' and he got pretty chummed on his noggin from the shrapnel of the shock parts, quite gory. 

As far as your neck goes, I wore the thickest collar I could find. You actually had to open the helmet lid and manually grab the bottom of the helmet to rotate your head if you wanted to talk to a parked vehicle next to you. No way my neck was gonna get jacked. Got them after giving my (then) 16 year old whiplash coming into China Wall too fast and slamming at the bottom (going up)... she was in the back seat and her helmet hit her knees, pretty good whiplash from helmet weight and no collar.

I think your noggin is your noggin and a personal choice.. I was no helmet on street bikes (except the freeway) until they changed that  law back in the 80's/90's.

Best,

abc

100_2337.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question that I would like your opinions/ideas on concerning helmets. I am far from anti-helmet. But I don't like wearing one in a sandcar. I don't realize it when driving, but my in-car videos show just how much I am always looking back, and around. I have built my car so it is not possible for my head to hit anything in a crash. (from experience: I barrel rolled my old buggy at high speed. It was a mazzone type with a narrow cage. My head actually hit the sand. I WAS wearing a helmet. Mainly because it was cold. I won't go into details about injuries, but I got hurt) My concern about helmets that are not strapped to your body, such as in a Sprint car/midget, etc, is the weight flinging around in a crash. Causing neck injury. This is not a smart arse question, but what good is a helmet if your head cannot hit any bars? Maybe the concern of something coming in the car?
Good point about the neck injury from helmets. Guess if you’re that concerned, look into a hans device. But I’ve seen videos where the driver and the passenger have hit heads on an impact or rollover so there’s that. 

I always wear a helmet, in a sand rail or UTV. Even when wearing 5 pt harnesses, it's astounding how much they stretch, especially on larger, grain fed folk. I only mention that as it IS a factor. A 250lb person will move a lot farther out of their seat than a 100 lb person. The same holds true with taller vs shorter, obviously.

I have a question that I would like your opinions/ideas on concerning helmets. I am far from anti-helmet. But I don't like wearing one in a sandcar. I don't realize it when driving, but my in-car videos show just how much I am always looking back, and around. I have built my car so it is not possible for my head to hit anything in a crash. (from experience: I barrel rolled my old buggy at high speed. It was a mazzone type with a narrow cage. My head actually hit the sand. I WAS wearing a helmet. Mainly because it was cold. I won't go into details about injuries, but I got hurt) My concern about helmets that are not strapped to your body, such as in a Sprint car/midget, etc, is the weight flinging around in a crash. Causing neck injury. This is not a smart arse question, but what good is a helmet if your head cannot hit any bars? Maybe the concern of something coming in the car?
Saturday I rolled up onto a group of UTV's in the desert, one of which was on its lid and had rolled at least 1 1/2 times from what I could tell. I didn't witness the accident, but I was the first to roll up to it. The dude was still out cold when I got to him. He had a gash on his cheek bone. A rock kicked up during the roll and clocked him right in the noggin. 

A couple years ago we were on a ride. Two guys in a UTV were berming a corner and lost it. They didn't roll, actually went down the revene backwards. They were both strapped in, and were not hurt from the actual accident... But the UTV pulled a bunch of rocks down with it. Both of their faces were cutup bad, looked like they just stepped out of a horror movie.    

I'm going to guess and say because of this new side-by-side. regardless of CC's - you will be required to wear a helmet in any off-road vehicle when operating on BLM land in the next 2 years.  No more buggy without a helmet is coming.  One new law to cover everything essentially.

I'm going to guess and say because of this new side-by-side. regardless of CC's - you will be required to wear a helmet in any off-road vehicle when operating on BLM land in the next 2 years.  No more buggy without a helmet is coming.  One new law to cover everything essentially.
I believe one of the reasons Buggy's weren't included originally was due to other vehicles, like tractors, utility carts and such on farms?????  I think that is what I heard.

I am on the same page that it will be classified as a UTV and therefore Helmet is required unless you want to waste time and fight it out in court and maybe still lose 

Regarding wearing a helmet in general in a sand car - IMO unless you have a HANS Device its likely to do more damage if your car is designed "correctly" and that means not hitting any bars /  Most people wear their belts too loose already  - thats the ones I know that wear helmets and think its ok to have loose belts 

Most SxS's (maybe not the Speed if / when it is real ...)  at any speed approaching where a fast Sand car dune run would be is pretty dangerous - Plastic is like a knife when it breaks and I have yet to see a sxs cage Not mangled on small rollovers even aftermarkets fail due to the mounting not being strong enough, we have 1 on New Years on a canned ham - slow roll 2x  bent the frivers neck when the cage came down one more roll and broken neck for sure  - I have seen people in good sand cars walk away from crazy end overs where blood came out their eyes from the G force - at that speed the helmet with Stereo speakers connected to an air pumper and 1 or 2 GoPro's strapped to the side (all the SxS drivers in my group) without a HANS device would likely break your neck. There is a serious reason why nearly ALL professional motorsports require a HANS device and at the least a neck brace and 6 way harness strapped very tight  ... 

Guys doing 130+ at the drags should have a Helmet and HANS device  - Helmet at least in case the Windshield come in on them (it happens)

For me I don't that just 119 at the drags - but I wear wrist straps and have a fire system and I believe a safe well designed car  - Priorities  FWIW

for now... I am sure you will get a ticket for no helmet (in CA), but be able to beat it in court (FOR NOW) 

I am on the same page that it will be classified as a UTV and therefore Helmet is required unless you want to waste time and fight it out in court and maybe still lose 

Regarding wearing a helmet in general in a sand car - IMO unless you have a HANS Device its likely to do more damage if your car is designed "correctly" and that means not hitting any bars /  Most people wear their belts too loose already  - thats the ones I know that wear helmets and think its ok to have loose belts 

Most SxS's (maybe not the Speed if / when it is real ...)  at any speed approaching where a fast Sand car dune run would be is pretty dangerous - Plastic is like a knife when it breaks and I have yet to see a sxs cage Not mangled on small rollovers even aftermarkets fail due to the mounting not being strong enough, we have 1 on New Years on a canned ham - slow roll 2x  bent the frivers neck when the cage came down one more roll and broken neck for sure  - I have seen people in good sand cars walk away from crazy end overs where blood came out their eyes from the G force - at that speed the helmet with Stereo speakers connected to an air pumper and 1 or 2 GoPro's strapped to the side (all the SxS drivers in my group) without a HANS device would likely break your neck. There is a serious reason why nearly ALL professional motorsports require a HANS device and at the least a neck brace and 6 way harness strapped very tight  ... 

Guys doing 130+ at the drags should have a Helmet and HANS device  - Helmet at least in case the Windshield come in on them (it happens)

For me I don't that just 119 at the drags - but I wear wrist straps and have a fire system and I believe a safe well designed car  - Priorities  FWIW
You got me.. fastest I got in my SCU was 109mph..

.... on a street bike/car.. baby steps..150mph...  in sand/dirt.. uneven terrain.. little gnarly past 60mph.. wear a helmet .. don't wear a helmet.. no one rides with me without one good n' strapped... (lots of kids wear them like hats and don't strap them)... I was a protective gear MAD MAN.. wore dual wrist straps, helmet and the thick neck collar.. met 2 dudes that wrecked (coincidentally) their SCU's .. tore off the rear trailing arms.. their knees were SHATTERED and open to the bone hitting the underside metal dash.. was so friggin' gross.. .. my next step was... (but I sold it).. gonna seriously  wear hockey goalie thigh, knee and shin guards cause the dash is pure metal... and I WAS going to wreck.. n' wreck hard.. just happened with the MX.. not the sand car... 

I've wrecked a bunch (have more times than I can count).. I just want to walk.. limp.. away.

abc

Hall_b_0417.jpg

heel 2.jpg

heel.jpg

hospital.jpg

I believe one of the reasons Buggy's weren't included originally was due to other vehicles, like tractors, utility carts and such on farms?????  I think that is what I heard.
Aren't sand rails, etc registered as green sticker vehicles? They could just make a law that helmets must be worn in all green sticker vehicles, that wouldn't affect farm vehicles.

A 20mph wreck is about 20g.  40mph is 80g.  I highly doubt you can apply 4000lbs of force to your seatbelts.  You move, a LOT, in a wreck.

Competition racing requires head and neck devices (HANS is like saying all skidsteers are Bobcats), sure, but there's a MUCH higher crash rate with wheel to wheel racing and sanctioning body insurance to consider.  I've seen a lot of very bad wrecks at track events, pro racing before head and neck devices were required, drag racing, etc, and most of the time people walk away, HANS or not.  Always wearing a helmet.  I think overall a helmet does far more good than bad, and your chances of a basal skull fracture due to a helmet are a whole fack of a lot less than dying of a brain contusion and swelling from a minor wreck because you clanged your soft melon off of some DOM (or 4130, I don't judge).  I have yet to see a single buggy with a single inch of SFI padding on anything either. 

Your melon, but I've seen plenty of people smash headfirst into walls at Ludicrous Speed without a HANS device and nary a basal skull sprain, let alone fracture.  If helmets were so dangerous to your neck, no doubt the sanctioning bodies would require head and neck devices with 5/6 point belts for all track days since they require SA/FIA helmets for all of them.  I have a buddy with a plate still in his head from a fender bender because he clanged his unprotected noggin on the unpadded cage of his racecar he tested once on the street.  

Aren't sand rails, etc registered as green sticker vehicles? They could just make a law that helmets must be worn in all green sticker vehicles, that wouldn't affect farm vehicles.
They could do that, but it is easier to do it by vehicle classification than Vehicle licensing.  Remember the reason SxS/UTV's have to wear helmets is due to Yamaha asking for this law.  

They could do that, but it is easier to do it by vehicle classification than Vehicle licensing.  Remember the reason SxS/UTV's have to wear helmets is due to Yamaha asking for this law.  
I really don't know which one is easier to sort out, but the entire ROHVA suggested the helmet law as a way to shift the responsibility from them needing to build safer, more stable vehicles with doors and 4 pt harnesses, to the occupants needing to wear helmets. The whole CPSC investigation was sparked by injuries/fatalities in Yamaha Rhinos.

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

A 20mph wreck is about 20g.  40mph is 80g.  I highly doubt you can apply 4000lbs of force to your seatbelts.  You move, a LOT, in a wreck.

Most people wearing wrist or arm restrainsts - use them incorrectly

image.png

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    878.1 KB · Views: 0
I need to 'sort out' my belts in my rides.. just running the stock 4 point and they rise up my waste/stomach. Good info here.

abc

15 minutes ago, Fullthrottleguy said:

all good info

Too much could be said that is off subject - but quickly ..most cars have their belts mounted completely incorrectly  - most people don't run sterum straps and with loose belts you just fly out on a crash  - its amazing how fast shoulder starps can open up.  I have seen belts stretch 4" on a crash (granted 250lb driver) and how many of us change belts or recertify them every couple years?  I almost guarantee most 2006 cars have 2006 belts  (maybe newer if they redid the car just because they wanted a newer looking belt set ..)   So many areas to be aware of - I would not put a Dash in my car for years because the worst injuries I saw were knees against the dash in a rollover, or worse arms flying out without wrist of btter yet arm straps (we have all seen the grusome pics)  with all that,  the helmet is small piece of the puzzle - but like everything not properly done, they do break necks - HANS or whatever restraint (HANS is Kleenex) are important  - just ask any professional racer.  One of my good friends races professionally iin Indycar - he will talk for hours about safety equipment  - he will say fire is the biggest fear... you need a firesuit yet we dune often in shorts in T-shirts  ..... even the 150MPH sand drag guys wear t-shirts ....

All good info below most people never check

View attachment 22988

Not Indy, but I campaigned in a couple of "pro" series for a number of years (some grassroots guys, some Factory rides, etc).  HANS is nice (I have one) but I rarely use it because, like you say, the setup is prohibitive and I really hate sand in my eyes (run dirt bike helmets).  Can my helmet kill me?  Sure can.  I still think it's less likely to kill me than the buggy's bars/steering wheel/etc, and a helluva lot better than my greying hair at protecting my squishy melon though. :biggrin:

Fire suits...  Yeah.  I'm not ruining that thing out there.  Good lord, that sheeyit would itch.  Sand is NEVER coming out, LOL.  I do avoid wearing polyester directly on my skin though.

https://motoiq.com/tested-hans-adjustable-and-sparco-harness/ 

I need to 'sort out' my belts in my rides.. just running the stock 4 point and they rise up my waste/stomach. Good info here.

abc
The ones with the tensioner?  Ditch that.  Get a proper 5 point and tighten the lap belts so they're either super hard to latch, or get pull up lap belts and remember to loosen them.

Back