Do you have to wear a helmet with a Rzr Pro R

8duners

Reaction score
Okay I just made my choice and getting rid of my 2020 Rzr turbo S and getting Rzr Pro R Ultimate. Coming from a former sand rail owner and into the UTV world I can’t stand wearing a helmet ….. I know what your thinking Safety 1st ……But that’s just me . So the question is since the Rzr Pro R is a officially a 2.0l 4 cyl, 2000cc Machine and has to be registered as  a car/sand rail.  I would assume we don’t have to wear helmets ? 

Last edited by a moderator:
The answer *right now* would be "no."  However, I'm sure CA will amend the law shortly.

-TJ

when Barney Fife sees you with no helmet he is going to stop you. Trying to explain  why you do not need a helmet to Barney  is not good, explaining to the Judge you will be ok.  Do you want the hassle  all weekend long
No, I figured it would be a challenge.. I’m sure this will evolve in California no matter what kind of SXS will require a helmet . It’s just a matter of time like tjZ06 mentioned . 

I would never trust any sxs no matter what cage it has on top of it without a helmet. 

30 minutes ago, CampfiresNbrews said:

Bet  these guys were happy to be wearing their helmets. 

I certainly agree, heck I wear a helmet in my sand rails too.  But the OP was interested in whether or not they'd *have* to wear a helmet legally (and I assumed he meant in CA, since that's the only area I'm aware that has a ROTV helmet law).  At this stage, I think the answer would be no, whether or not that's wise or will get lots of LEO attention.  Either way, I expect CA to change the law soon. 

-TJ

Trip out that was a cow... When I'm breaking in or cruising in a non-OHV place like behind my Mom's in Rialto, so long as I'm not 'going for it' I love rolling hat backwards and sun glasses. I was breaking in motors in the summer, no amount of air would have made that fun. Now if we are running more than 1 machine, helmet is a must for no dust and likely we'll be 'racing' each other.

Bought my buddy the Parker Pumper 4 person set-up for his Canned Ham.. he and his fiance were getting TORCHED now that I have some serious scoop on my paddles. 

Back when I had the SCU and ran with the KIK, I think not even 1/2 of them dudes ran helmets and they drive really really fast.

I think you'll get 'yanked' (pulled over) in G all day and it will be a long conversation with an out of state LEO who won't know the law(s). 

abc

PS. At least these boys will have steaks for their group  :rofl:

That's the second time a cow has been hit on that same course for that same race. The race organizers need to do something about it.

One of my driver's hit two cows in Baja coming home from the race. But that's Mexico. Effed his truck up pretty good.

No way the MFG classifies this new UTV other then just that....a UTV.

Laws will be changed in a year or so when the lobbyists have a chance, or they might be in the early stages now.....either way you have two options:

a) Be safe and wear a helmet, these UTV are still top heavy and prone to rolling.

b) Roll the dice that the BLM Ranger that pulls you over, believes you about the gap in the current laws.

I would say that the law making you wear a helmet will be out before you get thru the court system with your ticket.

The bigger question would be will the new law include any off road vehicle that cannot be registered as street legal in the state of California. I would bet money that is where they go with this just so they don't have to do this again.

I have a question that I would like your opinions/ideas on concerning helmets. I am far from anti-helmet. But I don't like wearing one in a sandcar. I don't realize it when driving, but my in-car videos show just how much I am always looking back, and around. I have built my car so it is not possible for my head to hit anything in a crash. (from experience: I barrel rolled my old buggy at high speed. It was a mazzone type with a narrow cage. My head actually hit the sand. I WAS wearing a helmet. Mainly because it was cold. I won't go into details about injuries, but I got hurt) My concern about helmets that are not strapped to your body, such as in a Sprint car/midget, etc, is the weight flinging around in a crash. Causing neck injury. This is not a smart arse question, but what good is a helmet if your head cannot hit any bars? Maybe the concern of something coming in the car?

Back