Did I just get screwed by Pay pal?

parker@gearone

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Sold a steering rack and tie rods to a guy in Georgia. He received the parts and a few days later he filed a case for refund calling the parts Damaged. I said to ship the parts back and I will give you a full refund. Well Pay pal refunded the money and I have not received the parts. I cannot get a response from the buyer or PayPal. Makes me want to buy a plane ticket to Georgia and pick up my parts. Any advice what to do? Looks like I am done accepting pay pal cant afford to give away product.

you have to PAINFULLY call paypal and explain the case. if you accept only friends and family for payment there is no refunds. Too many people play games with payPal and its a PITA to get your $$ back. you have to spend a lot of tedious time.

SUCKS!!!

I recently used amazon-pay with barnes4wd and thought they screwed me, never got a receipt, invoice or shipping info.... but the products did show up eventually 3wks

I like to use paypal for interweb purchases to lower my card exposure and not setup accounts to get spammed from.

call paypal and file  your dispute for the claim. Tell them you have not received parts back once you do you will give full refund.  They should help you out.  They have before for me.  I have been screwed only once using them. 

They have helped me in the past, no complaints here.

That's why people don't use Paypal or Ebay...it's the normal scam......

no you got screwed by a thief pretending to be a customer
Yeah you are right, we are to small to lose this money but also to small to be on the phone with paypal for 2 hours like I just was to file a appeal. Every minute I spend trying to get back my parts or money is a minute I am not on the shop floor making money 

I hate thieves..........so many horror stories now... nobody has any morals... it needs to go back to face to face and cash....

This saddens me because I always talk about how secure PP is 😞

Yeah you are right, we are to small to lose this money but also to small to be on the phone with paypal for 2 hours like I just was to file a appeal. Every minute I spend trying to get back my parts or money is a minute I am not on the shop floor making money 
Sad part is this is a possibility with any form of electronic payment.  Credit card companies will do the same and you have to prove your case to get paid.

This sucks, and it's 100% that a thief scammed you.  I really like PayPal for people on both sides of the transaction, but thieves know how to manipulate you if you don't have "the Savvy" on the platform.   Paypal is open loop - they don't know the return is complete or not.  Like all these "no people involved Internet only" companies, you have to take extra step before you authorize  return.  They have a bunch of online tutorials - just more things you need to learn in running a 21st century business - handshakes and cash transactions are mostly gone.

You need a tracking number with weight  before issuing the return.  Having dealt with being the "honest" return'er I have been asked for this before everytime. 

PayPal IMO is still the safest for both sides Having been ripped off seriously buying using  Zelle. I will only usePayPal now 

I have no problem giving the guy his money back if he ordered the wrong parts or if he thinks my product fit and finish is not what he expected. I like to be fair, not looking to have un happy customers. This guy just wants my product and to not pay for it. Its just annoying it is already hard enough being a small family business trying to manufacture these days. Hopefully pay pal gets me my parts back.

Eff Paypal.  Anti-gun thieving bastages.  I will not use them except for friends and family transactions.  "Buyer" is also an effing thief.  Sorry you learned an expensive lesson.

With a dispute, PayPal places the money on hold.  You cannot remove or transfer it until the dispute has processed.  Log into your account, provide tracking info and all communication with customer, state that you have tried to contact the customer, that you offered to refund the money once it was returned or provided proof of alleged damage.  Also, look into when he placed the dispute, if there was damage, he should have filed a claim with the shipper within 24-48 hours.  My company does a few million per year with PayPal and they usually get it right.  Just takes time.

we have learned some hard lessons from scammers

one,  the  guy placed the order from only 50 miles away in riverside, paid for the part by credit card and then said his brother is right around the corner and can he pick it up.  of course.  after he got $1500 of product he file a claim and said he never got the parts,  we lost and could not get our money back  we will never do that again.  the parts must ship to the address where the card is for me to have a chance or a recovery

20 years ago i did work for a lady on her car.  like $5000  she was a long time good customer.  then AMEX called me and said that i had a fraudulent transaction.  she just got divorced and it was her husbands card that she always used for years.  he filed the claim.  them AMEX said i must prove the transaction by having a hard paper copy.  which i told them i did with her signature.  then they asked for me to send the original one to them--i told them i think not!  then they say they will just debit the transaction out of my account/  i said how will you do that  there is no money in there (as we transferred the money out daily)  they said in future transaction will first go to the recovery.  that was easy  i told them there will be no more AMEX transactions and i ceased using it.  i applied for AMEX card for the next 5 years and was denied, then 5 more years later (10 years total) Costco was soliciting cardmembers outside their store.  i said what the heck.  the lady went inside to get my approval, she came out with eyes wide open.  i figured they had denied me again.  she said no its just that its the highest limit i have ever seen for an approval. it was $65k  cool, i used it (even though i hated AMEX) just because i like Costco and the rebate.  was glad when they lost the contract to the current merchant

With a dispute, PayPal places the money on hold.  You cannot remove or transfer it until the dispute has processed.  Log into your account, provide tracking info and all communication with customer, state that you have tried to contact the customer, that you offered to refund the money once it was returned or provided proof of alleged damage.  Also, look into when he placed the dispute, if there was damage, he should have filed a claim with the shipper within 24-48 hours.  My company does a few million per year with PayPal and they usually get it right.  Just takes time.
THIS!!  Great advice!!!

I had a POS take the main board of an old school amplifier and then sent it back claiming it didn't work. I didn't win that dispute...

If someone pays online and picks up in person, get a signature on a copy of the for sale ad and copy of their ID.

If someone sends a return, video tape opening the package and make sure the weight is the same on their return label as it was on the label you sent. 

Back