CVT possibilities

Edit --Didn't realize this was Sandrail tech

Last edited by a moderator:
Every CVT car I've driven was total mush.  Seems like Nissan is the worst.  When I'm traveling, and get a Nissan rental, I'm always let down by it.

Biggest reason.   No shifting noises.  Just a steady rpm.  Boring.   Not race car chit.

CVTs keep the engine in it's prime powerband, that's why manufacturers are using them.

CVTs keep the engine in it's prime powerband, that's why manufacturers are using them.
Naw, they make low power MPG engines tolerable, as well as let you torque demand via up shifting vice throttle position (gasoline engines are more efficient at high throttle openings). Nothing with real performance has one, most go conventional auto, DCT, or ye olde standby MT. 

Like @Kraut_n_Rice, every time I get stuck with a rental with a CVT I want to back it over the spikes, leave it there still running and just walk. Worst was a Corolla: min ratio didn’t reach peak power until 45mph and boooooggged the whole way there. Wouldn’t even spin the tires around a left hand corner in the rain. 

I wouldn’t spend the effort putting one in a buggy unless you hated it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back