CV's breaking and statistics

Oh and don't install a greaser plate if your already over the recommended CV angle 😜

There are a lot of variables to CV life. I've seen pitted stars on the trans and hub side. Rarely see CVs break. Most people are good abkut annual maintenance and listening for clicking. 

I prep 10-15 sets of CVs a year and I use Swepco Moly 101 and BelRay. I don't premix them. I use a needle tip to pack the CV on both sides with Swepco then put a layer of BelRay over that on each side. Same as I did for the two Class 1 cars I raced and prepped.

I've never used Swepco Moly 164. I asked some racing buddies and they said it's fine for them because they pull the CVs down after each race. Their opinion- 164 is not a good CV grease for a car only getting once a year maintenance. 

I've never used Cat Desert Gold, or whatever the name is now. 

No sciwence to this ..

I have seen a few 930 stars broken - always on the drivers side at the hub - I always see worse wear on the inner (trans side) just becaiuse they run way hotter due to trans heating them up and less airflow 

I see cages broken againAt the hub, but thats when the car is set uo wrio g and over 28 degrees  and that are clacking al reaDY

I have learned the best results on the cars I prep is to use  lightened CV's  - dispapate heat better on the trans sides and Not use Bates boots, and run eiter 75/25 Swepco/BelRay  on 930's or 164 on 934's if the angle is 24 or under and Anything over 24 75/.25

that said, I work on a 383  (440HP rwhp) mid engine car that runs RBP econo 930's and red tacky ($5 a tube autozone grease) and he services the CV's yearly and they are going on 4 seasons  ... so go figure ... car is under 2600lbs that help, guy beats it like a dog though ...

Last car went 16 seasons on the same 934 cv's. Just serviced them annually, never broke one. However, the car was wide and running full floating hubs so even at full droop I was less than 24 degrees.

Back