CV’s And Axles - School Me Please

Dockmaster

Reaction score
Since my trans is out for rebuild seemed like a logical time to do a full service on my 930 CVs. Unfortunately, I forgot to mark my axles when I removed them as I was focused on the trans removal. I just pulled the CVS off the axles and cleaned everything up and inspected. I did mark the CVs and axles so I can put the CVs back in the same spot. CV components all looked good with no real pitting or obvious issues. The splined portion of the axles is longer on one end of the axle than the other. One end has about 4” of spline whereas the other end is about 3”. Does the end with longer splines go toward the trans? I’m assuming this is correct but wanted to confirm. 

The other curious thing I found is on each axle one of fhe CV cages is more highly polished than the other. This is the same on both axles. One of the CV cages  is like a chrome finish and the other one is a more dull, basic machined finish. Is this normal? This does not appear to be from wear or anything like that, just clearly a different finish on the cages. 

I have always marked the axles due to reading they twist a bit and you want them going the same direction after reinstall 

I have always marked the axles due to reading they twist a bit and you want them going the same direction after reinstall 
Yes but I had a brain fart and forgot to do that. If I can confirm the longer splines go toward the trans then I should be good with rotation the same direction they were. 

I'm pretty sure the longer spline on mine is on the midboard. There really is not need for super long splines at the trans, it can't go anywhere.  

3" side should be trans side, 4" hub side. 

Post some pictures of the CVs how different is the finish on them? Both of the dull ones Trans side?

Last edited by a moderator:
3" side should be trans side, 4" hub side. 

Post some pictures of the CVs how different is the finish on them? Both of the dull ones Trans side?
Both of the dull cages are on the side of the axle with the shorter 3” spline. So based in your very helpful info this would be the trans side. 

22F420E4-B590-4C85-9EC2-40D4CEBAC639.jpeg

D5C3FF85-4DE3-437C-A880-824B9D45E4C0.jpeg

21E971FB-2DA6-4E17-84E7-825E6F7FAD77.jpeg

One on the right looks very dull, One on the left looks about normal for trans side. Trans side CVs loose grease a lot faster than you'd think.
One on the right is the trans side. The cages on both axles look the same, in the same locations. Anything I should be concerned with? I didn’t notice any noises, issues or other indication of any problems. 

@Dockmaster

I would inspect for cracks and pitting on the cv joints. 

Then knock down any burrs

if they look good re assemble/grease and run em.

Nothing wrong I see with them. That sandblast finish looks a little odd, usually they are duller than hub side, but that is a little more excessive than I am use to seeing.

Last edited by a moderator:
CV placement doesn't matter. Axles placement is important. Long splines hub side, short splines trans side. You have a 50/50 chance of installing them correctly. Measure the axles before installing in case you break one and need to buy a set. I run @parker@gearoneaxles and and cryo-treated CVs. Best parts on the market.

Back