Cracked front spindle wheels

Five.five-six

Reaction score
No photos ATM but I noticed that both my front wheels are cracked all the way around the bering race.  They have been welded / fixed before.  They are Boyd 5 star and Boyd said he wanted $2k to make me a new set, they’d be one piece and apparently super strong.  Can I blow $2k, yes.  Do I want to, no.  Any ideas?

Kartek told me to replace them with hubs. Seems like a lot of money and I don’t like the idea of adding weight. It’s a fairly light car up front and that helps make it fun to drive.  

It's the beating they take in the rough sand. Happens all the time on Douglas wheels. Son has had his welded a few times. Told him time for hubs and wide fives.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 inch hollows from @J Alper were worth it for me ! I would never not have them considering the way we dune. There is too much on the line and the $ in my opinion are well spent

"The Juice is worth the squeeze " on this one.

My 2 cents

:poule:

No photos ATM but I noticed that both my front wheels are cracked all the way around the bering race.  They have been welded / fixed before.  They are Boyd 5 star and Boyd said he wanted $2k to make me a new set, they’d be one piece and apparently super strong.  Can I blow $2k, yes.  Do I want to, no.  Any ideas?

Kartek told me to replace them with hubs. Seems like a lot of money and I don’t like the idea of adding weight. It’s a fairly light car up front and that helps make it fun to drive.  
replace them with hubs... it's not that expensive. 1 pair of wheels and 1 set of stock VW hub and bearings. Try Pacific Customs in Corona, they're typically way cheaper than Kartek

Money aside, what’s the big advantage of hubs?  They are stronger but won’t they withstand the front? I don’t need front breaks and I love the way that car turns.  

Money aside, what’s the big advantage of hubs?  They are stronger but won’t they withstand the front? I don’t need front breaks and I love the way that car turns.  
Advantage is what you're dealing with now: buy another fairly standard wheel to replace.  Also, if you need a replacement wheel/tire combo (taco'd a wheel, need to get out of the dunes), you're FAR more likely to be able to borrow one.

The hub will be considerably stronger than the welded spindle mount wheel.  

That being said, if you just want to go cheap and replace the wheel, I believe these are Combo spindle:

https://dansperformanceparts.com/latest-rage-620301-125-star-king-pin-spindle-mount-wheel-each/

Might want to call to confirm.

If you're still running standard VW spindle size, wheels are easy to find from the same source.  Keep in mind these are all Latest Rage Taiwan made, so you're not getting high-end USA made shet.  

When my Douglas combo spindle mounts die, I'm going hubs and Wide 5.

The best way is always hubs but, as i get older saving money to stay in the sport also makes sense, 

Empi has a solid spindle mount wheel $200 each 

Spindle Mount Machine Finish (Kit) | AA Performance Products (aapistons.com)

View attachment 76346
As I get older, I’ve learned that “cheep” doesn’t usually save money.  I have well over $2k in AN hose and fittings on the car. Well over $2k in rod ends and 12 point hardware.  I just blew $400 on an 8’ buggy wip because the cheep china 5’ wip wouldn’t stand up when I’m moving.  

Just took a measurement on my Boyds, they are 0.600” thick. They have been on the car 23 years and this is their 4th engine and 3rd transmission. They have been driven a lot.  Boyd want’s $2k to cut me 1 piece billet wheels that will match the rears.  

I, by no means have made a decision.  I just want to make an informed decision.   I don’t even have a favorite idea right now   

Neither yours or @Rockwood link look real close to the Boyd’s. it’s not the end of the world.  If I did buy chi-com wheels it would be a temporary. stopgap.  Right now the only EMPI parts on the car are the oil fill tube and exhaust nuts.   I do worry a bit about those exhaust nuts but I keep spares.     

How would I add hubs, do I cut the spindle off and weld on the hub?

image.jpg

What i sent was forged Empi wheel, this is a once piece wheel,  dont think you will break it, 

if you want to add a bolt on wheel, 

you can just add it, no mods, 

empi.jpg

How would I add hubs, do I cut the spindle off and weld on the hub?

View attachment 76377
Take your wheel off, replace it with hubs, bolt wide 5 wheel to hubs. Bearings should transfer as well if they’re not shot to hell. 

It’s effectively a “2-piece” spindle mount wheel… :biggrin:

I recently went to hubs. So glad to be done with the spindle mounts. 

This situation is a little different as I don’t think many have had your type of wheels. Had my spindles welded many times on every one after very little use and the 5-star type seem to get real brittle and have cracked on the spoke area. For lasting 23 years, sounds like a good product and usually when you change you regret it. 

I recently went to hubs. So glad to be done with the spindle mounts. 

This situation is a little different as I don’t think many have had your type of wheels. Had my spindles welded many times on every one after very little use and the 5-star type seem to get real brittle and have cracked on the spoke area. For lasting 23 years, sounds like a good product and usually when you change you regret it. 
I did add a legit 150 HP to the 180 HP the engine had been making.  I’m driving the car hard than it’s ever been driven. A lot harder. That’s why I just replaced all the grade 5 and ungraded suspension hardware with 12 point, I’ve been breaking bolts.  As tempting as $200 EMPI wheels are, it’s probably going to be $2k for billet Boyd’s or I have a line on method wheels, and go to hubs.  

If I do Boyd’s, I’ll have one of the wheels welded and throw it in the trailer.  Less trans and engine, I have almost 1/2 a car in spare parts in my trailer.  

The best wheel is the one that got you through the weekend!!!

I'd go hubs. 

If it's 180hp, I assume this thing is super light.  In the sand, I wouldn't worry about either wheel type.  I think you're overthinking this.

Back