Countersink for wheels

Bobalos

Reaction score
Can anyone here point me @ a part number or description for a countersink for wheels?  Im after a countersink for 60* lug nuts with the flat mating surface, not the weird ass ball shape that the VW stuff is.  I know there is a trick to this, but I cant figure it out. 

Im not trying to make a taper in a brand new wheel or adapter or anything, I have some wheels that are beat up & I simply want to clean up the hole & make them flat again.

thanks

Bob

Mcmastercarr.com order appropriate angle counter sink
That's the question, what is the correct one.  

I kind of want to say it's 90*-60*=30* countersink.  Or maybe it's a 180*-60*=130* countersink?  

This is a 100* on the right and a 50* on the leftover I think 30* is what I'm after, but.....  

And how big.  1" or 1.25"?  

Thanks folks

20210718_070532.jpg

i dug into this a bit more & I had it completely wrong. 

image.png

500px-Countersunk_holes.svg.png

I did a quick measurement from a lug & its roughly 60* from horizontal, which is 30* from vertical.  multiply that by 2 & its a 60* countersink.  Does that smell right?

20210718_075120.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is good info and I think that you have done the math correctly...

conical lugs are typically 60 degrees, how ever some are 45, but are not common in street stuff, used in racing wheels mainly.

I think I got the right one.  Hope to play with it this weekend. 

20210720_162316.jpg

Are you going to use the bit in a drill press or by hand drill? Will it chatter on the surface with a hand held drill?

THE DEGREES SPLIT IN 2 IS WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR,  FOR EXAMPLE,  A 90 DEGREE SINK IS A 45 DEGREE SIDE 

I doubt the bed of my press is big enough for a wheel (and they all have tires mounted)  I'm going to throw it into the hand drill, put it on "Uber slow", throw some lube on there and see what happens.  

I will try on the loading wheels first and if it does not go well just stop... 

I doubt the bed of my press is big enough for a wheel (and they all have tires mounted)  I'm going to throw it into the hand drill, put it on "Uber slow", throw some lube on there and see what happens.  

I will try on the loading wheels first and if it does not go well just stop... 
typically you always debur with a hand drill, i only conter sink with a mill or drill press if i am staring with a perfect round hole,   

I have a hand deal for things like this as well.  Shoot, I can throw it in my old hand crank drill and go duper old school.  LOL 

I use for aluminum Renalds A9,  or bees wax 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back