Costco Stopped me from filling my trailer at the pump!

r3meyer

Reaction score
For years now I have gone to costco to fill up my coach (diesel) and the box trailer (91).  Few weeks ago I took my box trailer down there with my truck to fill up my 55gal drum that is inside and has been for years.  Its mounted and plumbed inside.  I always open my side door, pull up, and get to filling.  So as the thing is filling away here comes a tenant and says you cant fill that and proceeds to shut off my pump!

We start to go at it.  He tells me you cant fill any portable tank over 6 gallons.  I tell him its not portable its secured and plumbed to the trailer.  He says its portable.  Pull out $100 bill and tell him I will give it to him on the spot if he can move it.  He declines and says sorry you cant fill it.  I explain I have been doing the same routine for 5 years this is the first time they have said something.  I tell him I want to talk to a manager.  He said it might be a while.  I let him know I have nothing but time and point to the line behind me.  He accepts and walks off saying he will be back shortly with his manager.  

I get out my card and fire the pump back up.  🙂

Just as I am about 5 gallons away from my 55 they start walking back over so I hit the stop pump button.  Manger proceeds to repeat the same thing.  I ask what the difference is between what I have and what a toy hauler has.  She does not engage and just says that 6 gallons is the max.  I say fine.  Can I just get my 6 gallons and be on my way?  Sure she says.  

I fire the pumps back up and get my last 5 gallons...

So now I either need to build a tank into my trailer (always wanted to do this anyways) or put a Y and filler neck with fuel door on the side of my trailer.  Anyone added a tank to their trailer that fits between the rails?  I would like to get this done while I play the costco fill up game.

The next time you go there that idiot won't be there. Just in case bring a 5 gallon dump can. If he head toward you start filling it. Then pour the 5 gallons into the drum, repeat as needed. 

That is insane. :coocoo:  I agree with @SANDPSYCHO Unless you were ready to make a change, I'd just repeat the same process and hope that idiot isn't around.

Don't understand the Logic behind that. We're supposed to sell Gas right? Peace

So just looked up their policy.

Q: What are the rules for filling portable containers at Costco fuel stations? 

A: Costco attendants are instructed to enforce all provisions of the International Fire Code (IFC) regarding filling portable containers: 

International Fire Code (IFC) 2019 Edition 

2304.4.1 Approved containers required 

Class I, II and IIIA liquids shall not be dispensed into a portable container unless such container does not exceed a 6-gallon (22.7L) capacity, is listed or of approved material and construction, and has a tight closure with a screwed or spring loaded cover so designed that the contents can be dispensed without spilling. Liquids shall not be dispensed into portable cargo tanks. 

2304.4.2 Nozzle operation 

A hose nozzle valve used for dispensing Class I liquids into a portable container shall be in compliance with section 2306.7.6 and be manually held open during the dispensing operation. 

2304.4.3 Location of containers being filled 

Portable containers shall not be filled while located inside the trunk, passenger compartment or truck bed of a vehicle. 

I need to find out more of this 'Diesel at Costco'. Never heard of such a thing!

its been along time, 13 years, but i used to run one of the costco gas stations. we never had any rules like that. AQMD was always on us for something. i would not be surprised if it was something AQMD had a say in.

asking for the manager is worthless, the managers inside dont know anything about gas station rules, may times when i was not there the managers would call me to ask questions.

if you really want to know the reason you need to call the main buying office, if it was orange county or LA, the buying office is in garden grove. call and ask for the person in charge of the gas stations and talk to them. or if you want to go higher call the Washington headquarters. back when i was working all the main guys were good people.

you might be shocked by the things people try to do at gas stations. things i would never have though of i have seen and even crazier. people are nuts

I need to find out more of this 'Diesel at Costco'. Never heard of such a thing!
Not all of them have it.  I have 2 costco's about the same difference from me.  This was in AZ.  One has LPG fill, gas station with only unleaded, and a car wash.  The other one has LPG, gas station with both Diesel and unleaded.  No car wash.  Its nice because I can fill both the bus and the fill station at the same time.

No one ever gets behind me when I have the whole rig together.  lol

Only a few Costcos and Sams clubs have the diesel.  last fill was $2.93.   Costco at Yorkshire and Sam's on Bell and 17th ave both have diesel.

LAWYERS

BTW, you know that weighs over 300# right?

I take a load of scrap to the scrapyard...it is sorta like buying a Prius.  You can't justify it.  I have 500# of stuff, it takes up my whole trailer, it took me 4 hours to load it, and months worth of savings/collecting.  I get like 25bucks, for at least 5 hours of labor...5 bucks an hour.  A good use of my time, right??

SOOOOOO, when I am there, I says to myself, self, yes precious, I wonder if they have any expanded metal (if I remember right, $200 a sheet, new), let's ask....on the way out, I see that they do, 2-3 sheets.  I almost loaded it up.  I go to the counter and ask about it. 

"We can't sell that." 

"Wait a minute, you are in the business of buying low, and selling high, and I am willing to pay "High"."

Our lawyers, There is liability involved and you might sue us if it is defective.....

I go to a dif place now that does sell their good scrap.

I would guess that every major gas station brand has a similar "rule".  Its a state regulated thing...... 

For years now I have gone to costco to fill up my coach (diesel) and the box trailer (91).  Few weeks ago I took my box trailer down there with my truck to fill up my 55gal drum that is inside and has been for years.  Its mounted and plumbed inside.  I always open my side door, pull up, and get to filling.  So as the thing is filling away here comes a tenant and says you cant fill that and proceeds to shut off my pump!

We start to go at it.  He tells me you cant fill any portable tank over 6 gallons.  I tell him its not portable its secured and plumbed to the trailer.  He says its portable.  Pull out $100 bill and tell him I will give it to him on the spot if he can move it.  He declines and says sorry you cant fill it.  I explain I have been doing the same routine for 5 years this is the first time they have said something.  I tell him I want to talk to a manager.  He said it might be a while.  I let him know I have nothing but time and point to the line behind me.  He accepts and walks off saying he will be back shortly with his manager.  

I get out my card and fire the pump back up.  🙂

Just as I am about 5 gallons away from my 55 they start walking back over so I hit the stop pump button.  Manger proceeds to repeat the same thing.  I ask what the difference is between what I have and what a toy hauler has.  She does not engage and just says that 6 gallons is the max.  I say fine.  Can I just get my 6 gallons and be on my way?  Sure she says.  

I fire the pumps back up and get my last 5 gallons...

So now I either need to build a tank into my trailer (always wanted to do this anyways) or put a Y and filler neck with fuel door on the side of my trailer.  Anyone added a tank to their trailer that fits between the rails?  I would like to get this done while I play the costco fill up game.
This is what I have.

https://www.plastic-mart.com/product/796/48-gallon-rectangle-poly-tank-rb229

.. I think the 'Speed' gas station scene might have gone through my head.. probably a 'clerk' just trying to be jealous of his pathetic life.. flexing.. 

gas 2.jpg

gas 1.jpg

gas.jpg

3 hours ago, ANGRYBUTTCRACK said:

.. I think the 'Speed' gas station scene might have gone through my head.. probably a 'clerk' just trying to be jealous of his pathetic life.. flexing.. 

Point Break?

Point Break?
Best not to stop him when he gets on a roll.

200.gif

Not at Costco, but I saw a guy filling gas into empty antifreeze bottles. He must have had a dozen of them. He was probably half way done when a station clerk came out and asked him to stop. At first they guy was ignoring the clerk, but after finishing the bottle he was filling he stopped. He tried to explain that it was Ok to put gas in an antifreeze bottle.  The gas station clerk showed him the sign saying only fuel approved containers can be used and antifreeze was not one of them. 

Also he was filling these on the tailgate of his truck with a plastic bed liner and when filled he slid them to the front of the bed. Crazy! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back